Isaac
Years ago

Boomers assistants named: Lemanis, Heal, Clarke

Basketball Australia has selected its assistant coaches to guide the Boomers alongside Head Coach Brett Brown.

Andrej Lemanis, Shane Heal and Marty Clarke will work with Brown and the Australian men's basketball team through to the London Olympics in 2012.

In addition, Bill Tomlinson has been selected as a Network Coach to assist in the development and preparation of athletes on an individual basis.

"I am extremely happy with the selections," Boomers Head Coach Brett Brown said from the United States.

"Marty has a terrific record with the junior program and knows the playing group well from their time together at the Institute; as a 4-time Olympian and former Boomers Captain Shane is an untapped resource of great value and an inspirational leader; Andrej has an outstanding knowledge of the game and has done very good things with the New Zealand Breakers; and Billy has been one of the top coaches in Australia for the past 25 years."

"They are a competitive, astute group and together we are excited to embrace the difficult challenge of securing Australian men's basketball's first medal in senior men's competition."

Topic #19688 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

70 reads and no comments.......

apart from JFTB'S, i have no comment

Reply #233209 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

How in the world odes heal get a gurnsey?

Reply #233210 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

If Tomlinson has been one of the best coaches in Australia in the past 25 years, why wasn't he given an assistant coaches role? Or is it jobs for the boys?

Reply #233214 | Report this post

Alamo  
Years ago

... Tall poppies are alive and kicking...!!?

Reply #233217 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Which comment made you think it was tall poppy syndrome?

Reply #233219 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Brett's just lost his job...Heal's the new Boomers' coach

Reply #233221 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

S**t.. don't say that LA.... I'd give it at least 3 months before the knives come out.

Reply #233222 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Great to see Shane Heal get a chance to be what is wrong with the Boombers for another generation.

Reply #233230 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I can see how Shane's audition at the Dragons would have done wonders for his selection prospects.

I would be a worse coach than Shane, surely I am a shoe in for first assistant!

Reply #233248 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

I think Shane will be great.

I cant believe they have put in Lemanis? I mean gezz his had a budget of around 3mil at nz and not achieved a bloody thing. This is the disgrace!

What about Bevo?
What about Gordie?

I understand a clean slate hence no joyce and possibly gordie but gezzz lamnis has only proved that no matter how much his club spends for him he cant win a championship.

Reply #233255 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Drb - what is the criteria for aspiring assistant boomer coaches ?
surely if it is rewarding coaches for achievments at nbl level, coach gleeson at townsville would qualify.
getting an under sized/manned team to over perform on possibly one of the few under the salary cap teams.

what was the qualification that got lemanis the gig?

who is the 'man' when brett is in america ?
the art of getting everyone on the one page is not one of shanes skills.

which of shanes skills(other than int exp) does brett see will be a bonus?

Reply #233258 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

TR- I just got a new job in fortune telling...

Reply #233262 | Report this post

Years ago

Just when you think the Boomers are going somewhere?
I'm glad that you think Heal will be great Drb. Obviously you are someone who has had nothing to do with him at any coaching level ever.
Let me guess, his last place finish when he got the team he wanted is what put him over the line in your mind?
Lemanis is an astute, clever young coach who has had to feel his way without being given anything on a silver platter.
Yes, he has had a substantial budget to work with, but he's no orphan there.
And before you trot out the 'what has done as a player' line, anyone who has half a brain knows that doesn't necessarily make the best coaches.
I do acknowledge it can help, but average players like Brown, Goorjian, Clarke, Bevo and yes Lemanis prove otherwise.

Reply #233268 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

Basketball is one of the few sports where the coach does not have to be a great player...football on the other hand is different...

Heal can bring some excellent insight on the international stage, Marty Clarke does have an excellent record with the juniors so that again is a great choice..lemanis did well with NZB this season and has had to work hard for the program to work...

ohh, if anyone has proof they paid $3M then please post it, if not shut up..Isaac would be the only one who may know, and i'm sure Oscar wasn't on $400K..might not have paid for rent or his car, but i bet he wasn't on that sort of coin...

I actually dont mind the decisions...I'm sure Boti will come out swinging in his Thursday dribble, but i guess he fits in the same as lemanis, not that good as a player, but has done well for himself on the otherside!

Reply #233286 | Report this post

Anon1  
Years ago

Heal as an assistant coach. Incontrovertible proof that BA has gone totally, completely, utterly insane.

Basketball in this country has never been at a lower point. And yes - include the early tinshed days of the NBL.

Reply #233287 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

now the dust has settled,i feel the best selection for boomers coach would have been goorjian,as long as he WASN'T coaching in the nbl.
in the wearing of two hats he put a question mark in the team selection process.there is no doubt he made a living out of young players wanting to play in his nbl programes,plus he is a great coach.

the man who makes the main decisions on team selection for the boomers shouldnt coach in the nbl.
the option not to coach in nbl is obviously about money,one day hopefully b/a can afford to pay a full time head coach IN australia,instead of the amateur part time position it is now.

i would also like b/a to make a comment on the selection process of the assistants,mainly so anyone interested in future positions knows exactly what they are up against.

Reply #233288 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Pigs of War- not sure about Footy it ain't my game, but I can't agree more about not having to be a great player to be a great coach.

Reply #233290 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not convinced re Heal and it is a bit of an odd decision, but I have said in the past that Lemanis could be a good choice as assistant, and input from Clarke should be good too.

Reply #233291 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Lemanis has done great things here in NZ with the Breakers and has built a competitive team, your dreaming on the 3mill Drb, I think you'll find him to be an asset to your national team as opposed to Shane Heal being a liability.

Reply #233296 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Bit dissapointed that Bevo is not there, especially with the kids coming through the system, he would be great mentoring them.

Heal?? What is he going to say..
"right Brad, when Dwight Howard comes up to you, get in his face and do the crazy white guy fighting style..Trust me, I got a shit gig sitting on my ass in Minny for 2 years from doing that..But I left that gig, I was wayyyyyy better than that".

Reply #233310 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

In support of Heal, he was a good international player, passionate about his country. He does know the international game, can help Mills and the young guards, and by being an assistant, he won't be making the final decisions or be the chief motivator.

Guys like Bogut, Andersen, Nielsen are more likely to listen and respect Brown - I don't think Heal will ever get the top job, not at least while the majority of our team is outside of the NBL.

Reply #233326 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

shin splints - heal may know the international game but it was not a natural style for him.
patty mills is already way better than heal ever was.he gets head and shoulders past any one,can find the open man and TAKE and make the RIGHT shot, all within the offence.
i have warmed a little to lemanis in the third spot but can't wear the rest of it....

Reply #233335 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

"patty mills is already way better than heal ever was"- I 2nd that, but honestly he's arguably the best PG Australia's ever had (considering Bruton's still 1/2 American).

"he gets head and shoulders past any one" I'd be a little reserved about that...next time in international games there are actually going to be defensive scheme drawn up with him in mind. Last Olympic was great for him because Patty was still relatively unknown while all the focus has been down the post. So it kinda created an "illusion" that Patty was just driving at will. Which he was but at a defensive scheme that is focused on the post.

Reply #233343 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the fact teams have to change there defense to gaurd him is the key to it ,this alone gives bogut and co extra looks which is where pat will blossom with his pass first shoot second international point gaurd skill set...

Reply #233359 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

If I was Brett Brown, I would have only agreed on the job with BA if I had to choose who I would want, so maybe Brett wanted those three prehaps?

Reply #233385 | Report this post

djmojo  
Years ago

Shane Heal...FFS why not just bring in Lawrie Lawrence while we're at it

Reply #233390 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

BA are fast tracking high profile people like Heal and Timms. Timms has done no coaching and has been given an Ass position with Nat Junior group. I am not a fan of Lemanis but big rap for Clarke. I would say brown picked Tomlison and Heal from previous experience with them. Bevo is currently running ITCP and I think BA probably have a plum job for him with junior development.

Reply #233498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul, good point about Heal's profile. Haven't really seen that mentioned before as a possible reason influencing the choice.

Reply #233505 | Report this post

playtime  
Years ago

Heal is a legend of Aus bball - perhaps the best shooter ever - he and KG coulda made some noise had he stayed in the NBA and made T-Wolves regular contenders !!!

Reply #234380 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754