Years ago

Australian Boomers Squad announced

Just got a Tweet from the NBL - team is here

obviously the big 3 are not included

Topic #19935 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Fantastic to see 5 sixers in the Squad.
Ballinger, Schenscher, Holmes, Bruce and Hill.

Reply #236315 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I like:

Adam BALLINGER* / Adelaide 36ers / 29
David BARLOW / Melbourne Tigers / 25
Aaron BRUCE / Adelaide 36ers / 24
James HARVEY / Gold Coast Blaze / 30
Joe INGLES / South Dragons / 21
Nathan JAWAI / Toronto Raptors (USA) / 22
Luke KENDALL / Melbourne Tigers / 28
Daniel KICKERT / Kalise Gran Canaria (Spain) / 25
Alex LOUGHTON / Perth Wildcats / 26
Patrick MILLS / St. Mary's College (USA) / 20
Luke NEVILL / University of Utah (USA) / 23
Luke SCHENSCHER / Adelaide 36ers / 27

I will assume Mills, Jawai, Ingles, Nevill & Baynes MAY NOT be available with tryouts & Summer league with the draft.

Reply #236316 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I just noticed there is no Worthington or Bruton... and when I said big 3 i meant Bogut, Andersen & Neilsen... I should have said 4 with Newls

Reply #236317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a joke, how can a young olympian like wortho not be in it but players like tommy greer, rhys carter, chris golding, keery williams can. i know its supposed to be blooding the young guys but older guys need to be there too so the younger guys know what they are up against and also gives older guys experience before next olympics.

Reply #236319 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

After Worthington flapped his mouth and make a c**k of himself (nothing new there I guess) what are his chances of ever getting selected to another Boomers squad??

Reply #236320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Cj, wortho and newley are available they should definately be there.

tommy greer
brad hill
nathan herbert
jacob holmes
greg vanderjagt
stephen weigh
aleks maric HAVE NO PLACE BEING THERE

all these AIS guys, heard of none of them so there cant eb any huge prodigys in there so i dont think they should be there.

My team

Patt Mills (or Aaron Bruce)
James Harvey
Joe Ingles
Nathan Jawai (or ballinger)
Luke Schenscher

Damian Martin
Adam Gibson
David Barlow
Mathew Knight
Alex Loughton
oscar foreman
julian kazzouh

Reply #236321 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not sure that not hearing of an AIS player by age 17 determines whether or not they have a future as a national player. I think getting the young guys involved with the program as early as possible is a great idea.

Not knocking these guys, but given that Forman and Holmes have had a go at national level already and haven't really come on at NBL level over the last 2-3 years, maybe their spots are questionable?

Really good to see multiple Sixers in the squad again.

Reply #236322 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

There may be other reason Wortho isn't there....or Brown too is taking a stance....

Reply #236323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

what a joke, how can a young olympian like wortho not be in it
School's out I take it? Maybe he didn't make himself available?

Reply #236324 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

well as the news said, this team won't play in any major event so exclusion of Bogut, Wortho, CJ etc. is understandable.

Not sure what others think, I would've like to see Jorden Page from AIS to be on the list. I watched him play over the weekend and loves his game. would've been a good experience for the kid IMO.

Reply #236328 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

No Ogilvy? I assume this is injury related?

Reply #236329 | Report this post

asd  
Years ago

My team would be as follows

PG Mills/Bruce/Cadee
SG Barlow/Ingles/Ryan
SF Ballinger/Rush/Motum
PF Jawai/Loughton/
C Schenscher/Khazzouh

Reply #236330 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

asd- no Newley? I'd actually start Newley and put Barlow off the bench. Barlow's a versatile swingman who can come in and fill whatever's necessary.

I do like what Australia has to offer come next world's/Olympics though. Haven't followed Aus basketball for long enough but possibly the strongest team ever?

Start: Mills, Newley, Ballinger, Jawai, Bogut

Bench: Barlow, Ingles, Schenscher, Wortho (???), Saville etc.

Future looks great for Boomers.

Reply #236333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"aleks maric HAVE NO PLACE BEING THERE"

211cm, 120kg
first year out of uni (4yr starting centre at Nebraska)
playing in spain for granada

we need to be working with this guy, if not for now, the near future.

Reply #236334 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

236321, how can you possibly say that Maric does not deserve to be there? Was his college career too succesful, or is the ACB is too strong of a league for Boomers to play in (hey, maybe that's why Andersen wasn't named!)?

*facepalm*

Reply #236335 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hey asd who is Ryan in your sg spot?

Reply #236337 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Five Adelaide 36ers - we've got the most in - of any team

Reply #236340 | Report this post

Pigs Of War  
Years ago

i bet they don't when the team is announced,...

Reply #236341 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I like the inclusin of so much youth in the squad overall. Obviously a few of the guys mentioned didn't make themselves available.

Reply #236347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no way should ballinger be starting sf, too slow for this position.

Reply #236350 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Five Adelaide 36ers - we've got the most in - of any team

I thought we were the only team left. So thats not too difficult to have the most reps.

Reply #236352 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Guys who are bagging the fact that some "big" name players are not there i.e. Newley - read the article! It states that they have not included players who have not had a break for over two years etc, so that would undoubtedly include people like Newley and Wortho who are obviously of the talent to rank amongst the selected players.

Furthermore, they named a 36 man squad - hello, I don't think they'll be taking them all - it's called "training fodder" to be mean, and "exposure and experience" to be nice...

Reply #236358 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Just spoke to Wortho on Twitter - he asked Brown to be left out as he has been going for about 4yrs straight and his body needed a rest. Brown was good about it.

Bogut, Nielsen, Andersen, Newley, Worthington, Bruton, Ogilvy (inj) are all excused.

Anstey, Mackinnon & Saville have retired...

Reply #236360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you tell Wortho about the latest podcast, Rod? ;)

Reply #236363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic to see the talented Adam Ballinger naturalised (AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE! OI, OI, OI)and part of it all. His an established player and will be a great contributor.

Love to see:

Starters: Bogut, Ballinger, Jawai, Mills, Newley,

Reply #236366 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Igor in the squad I don't think so. What has he done other than to have Andrew Gaze pushing his barrow? And Cadee over Jordan Page, bad choice. Obviously the coaches weren't at the under 20 Nationals because there were a couple of other players that were absolute standouts. So if you are going to add some juniors then get it right. Like Motum and Ellis.

Reply #236369 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I really wish, like U20 standouts, these guys get a chance. The late developed kids who 'appear out the blue' with great performances gotta get a chance cos with some good training/coaching could become real stars considering they've been overlooked up till now.

Reply #236370 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

3 Sturt boys. Hill, Holmes and Forman.

Reply #236374 | Report this post

Rip  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see how many players in the squad will be playing NBL this season...

Reply #236375 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

Haha, I hate wortho and he has nothing at the international level but thinks he does, but he should be there at least and be dropped later on if they don't like him. Gotta love politics in sport but should it happen on a team that isn't a great team already? I think not.

Reply #236378 | Report this post

starvin marvin  
Years ago

What about martin Iti? He's puttin up decent numbers in Holland, what's going on there?

Reply #236379 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Cadee is twice as good as Page. Redhage is better than Ballinger. Gibson deserves to make it.

Reply #236380 | Report this post

to anon
What Igor did with out Andrew Gaze

5 gold medals in last three years

U16 gold, best player 2007
U18 Balarat gold last year 2008
School championship in Newcastle gold, best player last year 2008
Yout Olimpic games in Sydney this year gold
U18 Gawler gold one of the best player
Hope you have got more information for me

Tell me who has this achivment in his generation born 92.

Reply #236388 | Report this post

hoops57  
Years ago

I don't understand how you can invite guys like Herbert, Weigh, Goulding (who I am not convinced have anything at olympic level) and not consider Tovey?

Reply #236397 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

wwwwwwwwwwww if he was that good why didn't he get an AIS scholarship????? Lets see how he goes playing against men?

Reply #236398 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What about Dellavedova, Broekhoff, Harris-Tunks, Page. Harris-Tunks a big body who will only get better. Page this years Bob Staunton medalist as MVP of under 20 Nationals, Broekhoff last years winner and he was also awarded Basketball Australia Male junior player of the year.

Reply #236402 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Starvin, Worthington asked not to be included.

Tovey may have retired? Was thinking about it before last season.

Reply #236403 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Dellavedova smart guard who can shoot and a leader.

Reply #236408 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

I'd tell everyone that i asked to be left out as well if i was Worthington.... particularly given I obviously need to rest up for my seemingly busy schedule this year!

In fact now that I think about it.... I did asked to be left out.....

Everyone, ESP is taking some time off from Boomers participation this year, that is the only reason i didn't get named in the squad (If you wondering ;)

Reply #236413 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

To wwwwwwwwwww Anthony Drimic should be there instead of Igor. Has as many gold as Igor and he is a more versatile player.

Reply #236444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2007 Vic Metro team all won Gold.

Coach should have got MVP due to the defence the team played during that tournament.

Reply #236458 | Report this post

to Anon

Iggy played more against big bodys than any kid in AIS at the moment.Tour in China and traning sassions with Tigers senior team proved that he is the best prospect in his generation.Anon just tell me who can play 1,2,3, and 4 in Australia like Iggy does at the moment in club and state team.
I would like to know which sport or game you following on this forum?

Reply #236472 | Report this post

Anon

I think you are Dandenong supporter this is high level of basketball not club. To represent country you have to be completely person including attitude.

Reply #236473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys need to get off the Drmic and Igor stuff. Time will tell who really wants to do the work, both are young players who have a lot of basketball left.

There are other very good players in the country also, Creek, Aldridge and Marriott, not to mention the best kid in the age group- Greenwood

Reply #236474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754