Big Sexy
Years ago

Tigers sign Anstey and Worthington

The tigers were suppose to announce 2 signings today has anyone heard anything?

(Mod: Topic title updated.)

Topic #20143 | Report this topic

alamo  
Years ago

wortho did today

Reply #239267 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Anstey was the other signing announced

Reply #239274 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

http://linky.com.au/pvnoo

ABC have confirmed Wortho. Anstey was a given wasnt he?

Reply #239276 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Hodge and Newley probably.

Reply #239280 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Anstey, Wortho, Hodge, Ingles & Donta Smith with heaps of cap still left to stack the bench up

Reply #239284 | Report this post

NBL in Hong Kong  
Years ago

bryant, lebron to be the imports

Reply #239286 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Media Release

Tigers Sign Anstey and Worthington

The Melbourne Tigers have officially announced the signings of Chris Anstey and former Dragons player Mark Worthington in the club's first player announcements for their 2009/10 NBL Championship team.

Chris Anstey has been a vital member of the Tigers team for the past four seasons, leading the team to win Championships in 2006 and 2008 and runners-up in 2007 and 2009.

Going head to head with the Tigers in three of the past four NBL finals has been Mark Worthington, playing with the Sydney Kings in the 2006 and 2008 Grand Final Series, and with the South Dragons in the 2009 Championship winning team.

Worthington will now join his once greatest rival by becoming a member of the 2009/10 Melbourne Tigers NBL team.

With the Dragons choosing not to apply for a license in the upcoming NBL season, Worthington became the hottest unsigned property in the league, so the Tigers were quick to invite the Australian Boomer to the new-look team.

Tigers CEO Seamus McPeake said that successfully signing two marquee players in Anstey and Worthington is a coup for the club.

"We're thrilled to have both of these outstanding players as our first two signings for the season,"

"Following the recent uncertainty of the Tigers' future, it's great to be able to rebuild and put a quality team on the court for basketball fans in Melbourne to support this season,"

"Worthington will be a great asset to our team structure, and with his experience playing internationally with Chris we're very confident that we'll produce a great cohesive team," he said.

After a stellar college career with Metro State in the US, Worthington wasted little time in making a name for himself back in Australia when he won NBL Rookie of the Year with the Kings in 2006.

The Kings folded following one of the most exciting NBL Grand Final Series in 2008 against the Tigers, and Worthington then made the big decision to follow coach Brian Goorjian to Melbourne and play with the South Dragons.

The 26 year old has settled in Melbourne and was keen to continue living and continuing his playing career in Victoria.

Likewise, Anstey was determined to remain around family and friends in Melbourne.

McPeake said the Club will be focusing on Australian talent for the upcoming season.

"There are some tough times ahead financially for the Tigers, so what better time to focus on our home grown talent and promote our quality players, providing pathways for our young up and coming stars of tomorrow," he said.

The Tigers will be announcing further player signings in the weeks to come.

The Tigers are calling on all basketball fans to get behind the only team in Melbourne for the upcoming season, by becoming a member.

Melbourne Tigers memberships are now available, with Early Bird discounted prices until 31st July starting at $306 for adults and $217 for children.

Reply #239289 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

you guys for real? Wortho signed? so if Barlow comes in the mix:

Anstey, Wortho, Barlow, Import?, Import?

That's heck of a line up. BTW I heard Tommy Greer is playing for Nunawalding Spectres and Crosswell is playing for Sandringham. Does that mean Tigers won't pick them back up? Because I think they only signed with these 2 teams after learning that Tigers weren't going to play in NBL.

Reply #239296 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

LA Boy, you are forgetting Sam Mac and Stephen Hoare coming off the bech still as well.

Reply #239297 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

NBL in Hong Kong- wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
With a roster that ridiculously stacked and McCheat having one last crack at pushing the envelope before the real reform kicks in next season, could they be the next to fold?
They have signed some of the most expensive players and besides, with Wortho there and his ghosts of the Kings and Dragons hanging around... *ponders*

Reply #239304 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

ANSTEY & WORTHINGTON SIGN FOR LEAGUE MINIMUM

A spokesman for Melbourne Tigers has confirmed that out of loyalty for the NBL, Chris Anstey & Mark Worthington have signed for the League Minimum Salary.

In related news, Melbourne Tigers are also proud to announce that they have appointed two Women as Assistant Coaches for Season 2009/10, both on league record salaries of $500K per season. Both Anstey & Worthington say it will be different, but that should both adjust quite easily to having their wive's as Coaches!

Reply #239307 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Are they still going to play at 3.5k stadium or get serious about getting supporters.
Sixers should have a good look at last years roster to see if can pinch at good value.

Reply #239309 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Ron Artest is considering an move overseas. Could be a handy 6th man.

Reply #239312 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Haha- signing for the minimum would be funny... if there wasn't still unaccounted for money in brown paper bags flowing back and forth!

Reply #239313 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

"who me"

Gold..deserves a little ball

Reply #239323 | Report this post

G.Smith  
Years ago

LA BOY, Crosswell played for Sandringham prior to signing with the Tigers and also kept playing for the Sabres in the off season during his time with Tigers.

So i don't see why they would not re-sign him.. unless they decide to go with another local player like Rhys Carter instead. Which is highly unlikely.

I could however, possibly see those two being the side's Point Guards. Especially when Bo Westover is still a LONG, LONG way off from being a superior BigV player.

Reply #239328 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Man I hope the league cracks down on all teams spending on players. I would suggest with confidence every team in the league bar maybe Wollongong would have off the books spenditure on players. ie. Personal vehicles, accomodation, trade services etc.

Reply #239341 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Who Me! that sounds so funny and yet not that far fetched. As ridiculous as it sounds that both these players would sign for minimum, it wouldn't surprise me that their contracts show a minimum amount but would be earning money in ways that don't count towards the cap. Both these player could be shown as earning coaching dollars for their role in developing the rookies in their training sessions. Their playing contracts would show $60K for playing and then $500k for training and development as an example. You hear it so many times how senior players impart their knowledge and experience on the rookie players so why not pay them 2 salaries?

Reply #239342 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Wow! Get a decent PG (not Barlow) and they're a contender once again.

Reply #239353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they can't get Crosswell under the points cap, I wonder if they'd go with Kendall and Carter?

Reply #239358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read that the Tigers are going to go with an all Australian team.

Reply #239371 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Are Melbourne retaining the "Tigers" brand or are they just going to run with "Boomers"?

Reply #239393 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I was wondering the same thing!
Seems if you can get on the Tigers you'll be a Boomer or vice versa?

Reply #239431 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Cowan's Tigers are Hidden Boomers.

Reply #239462 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754