Jonno
Years ago

Tigers release Hoare

Just saw on Gaze.com.au via ozhoops, that Hoare has been release, he is one player i would love the 36ers to recruit. Tommy Greer and Crosswell are also mentioned to be likely to be leaving the tigers.
I hope the sixers chase Hoare, and if we lose either say Davidson or holmes i wouldnt mind looking at Greer or Crosswell, i hope all 3 find there way into the NBL this season.
Imagine if the 36ers got Hoare and kept the core of their team from last year, and got Burston, would give us a good looking team!

C Burston
PF Ballinger
SF IMPORT (can play 2,3,4 eg Donta Smith)
SG IMPORT (combo guard eg Cortez Groves, Jason Crowe, Willie Farley) (or Hill if Bruce leaves)
PG Bruce (or IMPORT if Bruce leaves)

6 Hoare (back up 3,4,5) (i wouldnt mind Greer if we missed out on him)
7 Holmes (back up 3,4)
8 Hill (Back up 2,3)
9 Ng (Back up 2)
10 Davidson (Back up 1) (id look into Crosswell should Davidson retire)

Maybe a little undersized with Hoare as the back up 5 man but if you have Ballinger or Burston always on the court you always have someone atleast 6'10 out there so thats not too bad and the nbl isnt a huge league.
If the dusty rumours turn out to be true and we can get him back as aussie id take him back instead of the import SF (assuming Holmes and the others stay), and start either Holmes, Hoare or Hill at SF and use the 2nd import spot as insurance if someone gets injured.

Topic #20146 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I think Hoare would be a great pick up.

Reply #239354 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Hoare should be one of the 6ers priorities. He's that Sapwell kinda player that doesn't star, but just does the little things that help your team win. But If we resign Holmes I'm not sure if he'd fit in.

I'd find room for him though.

Reply #239357 | Report this post

I doubt the sixers will get more than one import.

Reply #239359 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

[insert obvious "pick up a Hoare" joke here]

Reply #239360 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I can't believe Willie Farley's name still gets a mention.

Reply #239364 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I'd look to sign Hoare instead of Holmes. Might be hard given Holmes is a local product & decent player & there might be some loyalities to sign him as I don't see any other teams lining up for his services but Hoare is an X-factor type player of the bench that would fit in really well.

Reply #239366 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

why would anyone want cortez groves?

Reply #239370 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

TC2,
Thank you. I have been bitting my tongue. The only negative with picking up a talent like Hoare would be the jokes.

Reply #239375 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hoare will be 34 going into next season and is currently rated (according to NBLstats.com) a 8 point player so no way in hell would I want him! Some are choosing him over Holmes, are these people crazy!!

Hoare over the last 10 seasons has averaged over 30 minutes per game for limited stats. Sure he is meant to come on and do the little things but at the end of the day he is the least guarded player on the team so he doesn't really impress me. I would go as far to say that if he wasn't playing in star packed teams then his career wouldn't have gone on this long, he certainly wouldn't be playing 30+ minutes per game! Furthermore, if we were to get him and play him limited minutes he would be even less effective!

Reply #239379 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

aslong as it fits cap wise i cant see why holmes and hoare couldnt be signed as our back up forwards. I think Hoare is a great player and would add value in many ways. the names mentioned such as willie farley were the mould of player i would be looking for not neceserily him.

Reply #239383 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm with you 100% KingJames, although Hoare has been a good player for Melbourne, he has simply been a role player. The reason why he looks good is because of the offence that Melbourne run. Stephen can't create his own shoot and simply scores off of the back cuts run through the shuffle offence the Tigers run. I don't really think he would suit any other team in the league except for perhaps South from last season. And a player who is 34 and is a role player who is rated an 8 is ludicrous, he would realistically be worth perhaps 5 or 6 points in my eyes.

Reply #239387 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good pick up TC2. I hear posts suggesting picking up
JR and Dusty and have no strong thoughts if we do or dont depending on who we can sign but when I see Cortez Groves and Willie mentioned as imports surely we dont need to scrape the btm of barrell.

Reply #239389 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I've always rated Hoare as the perfect role player. shoots the three incredibly well, rebounds well and can guard a range of positions. But rated an 8? Wow. That means Penney must be a 14 , Schenscher a 13 and Anstey an 11. That's the only way that makes any sense.

You can see a guy like Hoare being priced out of the league based on his rating. Some interesting potential for litigation against the NBL if Hoare could show that the only reason a team didn't sign him was because they couldn't fit him in under the points cap.

Reply #239424 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Hoare got screwed.

Reply #239488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Schenscher a 13?

Reply #239558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horvath 8 (10)
Hoare 6 (8)
Mackinnon 8 (10)
Rychart 9 (10)
Rogers 8 (10)
Cattalini 8 (9)

Too many players rated too high

Reply #239561 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

paul - my point is that Schensch, Anstey etc are far better players than Hoare, and a 10 rating compared to Hoare's 8 doesn't compare.

I know the ratings only go to 10.

Reply #239564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754