plow king
Years ago

Flashback - Woodville Telstars?

I was surfing the net and came accross an old team i remember from many years ago

"woodville telstars"

memory hazy

can anyone elighten me on this group - were the the original woodville ? I know the original woodville came from 2 cheltenham church teams

or were they just a crowd from st clair?

(Mod: Topic title changed to something more specific -- easier for someone to recognise the name and respond.)

Topic #2023 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

one club was cheltenham headed by vera craig

Reply #22830 | Report this post

biasbinding  
Years ago

woodville telstars were a team out of st clair not connected at all with woodville district basketball club.

woodville came from CBC which was the cheltenham basketball club.

Port Adelaide who were in the BASA competition prior to Woodville were known as the Port Adelaide Telstars so there is probably a connection there.

Reply #22865 | Report this post

mr plow  
Years ago

bias

yes i remeber port adelaide distict team - they played in lower junior grades at forestville on friday nights

in black and white "collingwood" style singlets

what happened to port adelaide district club???

I played juniors at forestville - i think it was metro and district grades

ahh - the land of cement courts and gym boots

Reply #22913 | Report this post

OLD BULL  
Years ago

Telstars, Port Adelaide and Cheltenham were all (rather large) social basketball clubs competing at St. Clair throughout the sixties and seventies. In the early seventies, with strength of membership and some financial backing, Port Adelaide entered the District Competition. The club had teams in all junior grades, senior women (including Div I District) and senior men up to Metro 'A' (which is Reserves these days) The plan for the Metro 'A' team was to beat either of the teams who finished bottom of the Div I District comp. to gain admission at that level. The teams Port Adelaide did play against for that right simply recruited players from other Clubs, won the challenge and then cleared them straight back. Needless to say, Port Adelaide never cracked the big league and worse still, many very good juniors left Port Adelaide to go to clubs who could offer them a future in Div I. Eventually the club fell apart due mainly to the frustration of developing juniors for other clubs. (In the early days, the club was coached by Danny McLEAVY)
In the early eighties, a Port Adelaide team competed in the senior men's reserves grade under the guidance of Michael AHMATT (playing coach) but it only lasted a couple of seasons. I do recall a Woodville Districts and a Telstars team playing in the same grade at St. Clair but they had nothing to do with Port Adelaide or Woodville. The foundation of the Woodville District Basketball Club was the Cheltenham Basketball Club from St. Clair and more so, Vera CRAIG.

Reply #23020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's a history lesson kids. Read and learn!

Reply #23022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i remeber playing for cbc on a saturday afternoon at bowden in the church comp
phil and david smythe also played as well as their sisters julie and debbie
players from all different district club also played(north sturt forestville and west in particular)
a lot of people involved with cbc are still around today still involved with woodville

Reply #23039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754