lukn4atitle
Years ago

Nathan Herbert A 36er?

A 192 cm shooting guard is a welcome addition.Good 3 point shot

Topic #20329 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So now we have 3 shooting guards.
None of which are capable of starting, although its likely one of them (Hill) will have to.

Not a good move in my opinion.

Means Bruce is certainly not returning.

Reply #241681 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Career Highlights

From nbl.com.au: Joined the Dragons as a Development Player in 2008 after six seasons with the Geelong Supercats...Was voted Dragons' Most Improved Player...Helped the Supercats to the SEABL Men's Southern Conference Championship in 2007...In 2005 he was the SEABL East Conference under 23 Player of the Year...His father Craig played 102 NBL games for the Supercats 1982-87.

Also: Age 24, height 6-4, 91kg. Named to an extended Boomers squad in 2009. Averaging 20+ points for Geelong in the SEABL in 2009. Was Geelong's MVP in 2008.

A handy signing from where I sit but I'll stand corrected. Sounds like a bit of a youth movement for future seasons. Would give the Sixers a lineup of:

C Burston, Sturt (rumours are strong)
PF Ballinger, Holmes
SF Import, Hill
SG Import, Herbert
PG Bruce (will sign soon), Ng

Reply #241684 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Bring in Ingles and call us the Dragons!!!!!

Reply #241686 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Ninnis was impressed with what he saw at the Boomers camp?

Reply #241687 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Will it be announced today??

Reply #241689 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Excellent signing if this is true as this helps us have another excellent shooter. Great job by Ninnis and all those involved.

Reply #241691 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

Sorry in the tiser!!!!!

Reply #241692 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I would still like to see Bruce signed. I also agree with the sentiment above, we have become a bit two-guard heavy.

I haven't been hugely impressed with what I've seen of Sturt, but those who have seen more of him seem to rate him highly. He seems to have added the outside shot to his arsenal, which is great so long as it doesn't become his weapon of choice (case in point Axel Dench).

I also can't imagine that it would break the bank to sign Hill, Ng, Herbert, and maybe Sturt, so leaving a bit of cap room for imports and Bruce?

Oh, and no Cooper.

Reply #241695 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Is Davidson still wanting to play this season? Anyone know if his a consideration also? I guess it depends on the other signings first.

I wouldn't say we are 2 guard heavy. Hill can play Small forward at times if required (also pg) and Ng can play point guard as well so they are versatile and not limited to just playing 2 guard. If we sign an import PG and have Davidson or get Bruce and Davidson we are pretty well balanced as well as versatile.

Reply #241696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would just like to know what is going on with bruce? if he is a no go here where will he be? someone said he was in the US with his finance but his name has not even been mentioned at all.

Reply #241699 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Herb's a great shooter and torched the Sixers how many times!?

But we are getting guard heavy with no real ball distributors. If we let Bruce slip through our fingers it will be a very stupid move IMO.

Reply #241700 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Moses I like your lineup but instead of SG import I would go with a PG import

Burston/Sturt
Ballinger/Holmes
Import/Hill
Ng/Herbert
Import/Bruce (hopefully if not Davidson)

It looks like we have done a good job at getting decent players that aren't going to cost a lot of money. I really like this lineup if our imports are really good this team could push every other team

Reply #241702 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Actually just read in the Tiser that we are looking for an import point guard, so that doesn't look good re the Bruce signing.

KJ, I personally don't think Ng is a good enough defender to play the point, and always did struggle advancing the ball against the trap. Outstanding shooter and scorer though. Hill has got the handle, but his passing needs a lot of work if he's going to play the point.

Also read about that under-23 rule, which will hurt a few guys this year. I've gone into great depth a number of times before about how I think Erik Burdon deserves a roster spot and minutes, but can't see how this is going to happen now.

All in all though, I am pretty excited about how this season is taking shape.

Reply #241703 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Bruce may be reluctant to sign if we are signing an Import PG.

Reply #241704 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

True, though if some of the buzz about him not wanting to play basketball for much longer is true, why would the club through a lot of money his way? Not much point committing to a guy who isn't even sure if he wants to commit to the game.

Reply #241705 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Does he still have his Chopper Reid mo?

Reply #241707 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Mutley, fair enough about Ng being a questionable defender. I am looking at his defense in a bit of an opportunistic view. I think his problems in defense stem from him not being big enough as he is certainly a good defender (Smart player, good at stealing the ball, good at pressuring the ball). So now I think he might be slightly bigger and an even smarter player (hopefully). Also I think he would now be a better defender then Maher, some would say thats not a huge compliment but I think it is saying he will be able to hold his own now. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt for moment.

From the article it sounds like Liam Rush is no longer an option which is a bit of a shame but good that the coaching staff at least looked into it. ``A guy such as Liam Rush for example, is content to stay (in Europe).'

I agree that theres probably no point getting Bruce if he is going to quit next season. Also having an import point guard as well as him I doubt will work and wouldnt be very effective cost wise.

We still have some good options left and good to see Ninnis and Hill are heading to the USA to scout imports.

Reply #241711 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I assume Winitana is off the radar?

Reply #241714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have been too busy to pester anyone with questions, so this is the first I've heard of Herbert but, I'd say that he'd be taking a role Winitana might have otherwise filled.

They do need an Under 23 player, so Sturt could be it (depending on the exact rules) unless Ninnis liked the look of the AIS guys at Boomers camp the other week.

Reply #241717 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Like other posters not sure we needed another shooting guard although hopefully not expensive and can shoot although his averages will go down now not playing against us which he seemed to like.
Cant remember either good or bad about defensive ability. Re Bretts defensive work certainly on a par if not better than Bruce ,Hill and Winitiano were last season and Ng the previous year. Our defence work could be a problem with this team putting together.
If they can find a good import PG-SG type import would Davos body hold up to get good perc. of games as a bench PG . Also glad looking for new imports for team.

Reply #241718 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Well straight away Herbert is a 1/7th improvement on Winitana!

Reply #241720 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Here is the article

http://linky.com.au/41iho

Reply #241726 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ninnis talks to Phil about his USA wish list, today.
If you heard/hear anything.

Reply #241743 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

No Tyndale! :P Anyone know where he is playing these days?

Reply #241744 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Actually I just looked it up and he is playing for the Iowa Energy in the NBA Development League. The season just started.

Reply #241745 | Report this post

KASAM  
Years ago

Interesting choices to date
The team looks like this imo

Balls / Holmes
Import pg / Ng
Import sg / Hill
Burston / Under 23 big?
? / Herbert

Still missing a good quality starter, and two if they only get one import.

Reply #241746 | Report this post

milhouse  
Years ago

not sure I trust Ninnis with import selections after the Tyndale incident.

Reply #241747 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think a starting line up of

Import PG
NG or Hill
Import SF
Ballinger
Burson

is a great lineup if the imports are good
with a bench of

We still need a backup PG (Bruce or Davidson or some young kid)
Herbert
Hill or NG
Holmes
Sturt or some young kid

Hill or Ng are both quality players and will hold their own in a starting role

Reply #241748 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bonzi Wells to Adelaide!

He heard we subscribe to the Don Nelson theory of defence in Adelaide and would love to play here!

Reply #241749 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Actually I just looked it up and he is playing for the Iowa Energy in the NBA Development League. The season just started.
I think you may be looking at a dated source there. The 08/09 D-League wound up in April, won't start again for a few months.

Reply #241751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Herbert's a great signing for Adelaide.

Not only is he on fire in the SEABL at the moment, but he is also one of the nicest blokes you'll come across, which can only help team chemistry.

You guys are lucky to have him.

Reply #241755 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the autobiog Herb!

LOL - just kidding - I think Herbert is a good pickup for the Sixers. I really miss the days where you just expected the ball to go in when a Sixer jacked up a three!

Reply #241760 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Speaking of which, can we hire Rick Brunson as our permanent mascot?

Reply #241761 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

good signing from the 36ers, gives us another good consistant 3 pt shooter, along with Ng, which i think last year we didnt have except for maher.
What should we do with our 10th spot it sounds like we will be signing a import PG and SG/SF and id say we would get a big guy, rumoured to be Aiden Sturt, then the last spot would be either a PG or a PF, not sure which way they should go.
Should they sign a PG say Davidson or if they want to continue on the young side a Kersten or a Sutton and have a line up like

C Burston/Sturt
PF Ballinger
SF Holmes/Hill
SG IMPORT/Herbert/Ng
PG IMPORT/Davidson or Kersten or Sutton

With Holmes sliding to PF to spell Ballinger

Or would you say give the import PG 30+mins and give the say 10mpg left to ng and hill, say 5 mins each at pg, which i dont think would be too bad and sign a PF like Hoban (again going young and cheap) or a guy like Josh Wood who is back from college and i remember reading about him when he first went Smyth touted him as a future 36er in the article i think, i think he is something along the lines of a 6'8 SF, (if i recall correctly) signing him would give us a fairly versatile team, and ending up with say

C Burston/Sturt
PF Ballinger/Wood (probably play most his mins at the SF spot with Holmes sliding to PF)
SF Holmes/Hill
SG IMPORT/Herbert
PG IMPORT/Ng
If Wood is say a versatile 6'8ish atheltic small forward and we get 2 good imports and our PG is capable of playing 30+mins per game, id probably go with this line up as it gives ups plenty of flexibility and size.

My dream would be if we offered say Ingles and Mills a imports wage and got them back from overseas instead of imports, that would give us a very young, exciting australian team to build on, however id say highly unlikely.

Reply #241764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Milhouse, Goorjian gets his imports wrong every year.
Fortunately, he has just had the coin to keep going until he gets it right!

Reply #241766 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bruce as the starting PG? God help us.

Reply #241768 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

FFS EC, you won't be happy with anyone we sign unless it is Dusty, will you? Who are your suggestions? Don't think you can bitch about these ideas when you don't have ANY of your own.

Reply #241770 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Mutley, for heaven's sake isn't it obvious that a really good import PG is needed here and nothing less will fill the need. Last season I shuddered every time Bruce was on court and with the ball in his hands. His turnover count was unnacceptable. As a PG coming of the bench, that is fine until he matures enough and improves his game enough to take the starting spot. If however rumors are true that he is not interested in the long run, then he will not get to the stage where he can successfully start. This is why an import has to be sought. As far as bitching when I have no ideas of my own, what would you call what you are doing and bringing up Rychart all the time. That in itself sounds like a lack of ideas because its been done to death. If you want to bitch about my comments, come up with something original.

Reply #241773 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

+1 Mutley.

Nathan Herbert! Who called it?! That's right.

Not a bad signing - would've come fairly cheap I imagine but may be at the expense of Bruce, something like:

Burston/(Coop or Sturt)
Ballinger/Holmes
Import/Holmes/Hill
Ng/Hill/Herbert
Import/Ng

...or with Brucie:

Burston/(Coop or Sturt)
Ballinger/Holmes
Import3/Holmes/Hill
Import2/Ng/Hill/Herbert
Bruce/Import2/Ng

Is Eze Burdon still eligible for a DP spot?

And is this Sturt rumour actually coming from something or just someone throwing his name out there?

Reply #241774 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

First, I've never said anything about your Rychart love before, research it if you wish. 2nd, my problem with your attitude towards Bruce is I wonder what you would have written about Brett Maher's signing if this forum had been running 17 years ago. 3rd, like most other people on here I suggest names all the time. The main difference between us is that I am not always suggesting the same name.

Reply #241775 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Leaves a back-up big role to fill and a compulsory under-23 player as per NBL new rules.
Boti-Ninnis mentioned today.

Reply #241776 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"As far as bitching when I have no ideas of my own, what would you call what you are doing and bringing up Rychart all the time. That in itself sounds like a lack of ideas because its been done to death. If you want to bitch about my comments, come up with something original."

You don't think you're bringing it up yourself when you praise him at every single oppurtunity and bag the coaching staff (and Ng, Hill, Holmes) for not signing him?

Reply #241779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Burston/Sturt
F Ballinger/???
F Holmes/Hill
G Import/Ng
G Import/Herbert

Any ideas for backup PF? i think the team will lack a strong 6th man.

Reply #241781 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC, I shudder every time I see your name attached to a post. I can't remember the last time any of your posts were constructive, or for that matter, reasonable.

It's clear as day that you will never give Ninnis a fair go and at every opportunity you trash his recruitment/tactics without offering an alternative. It's tired and boring.

Reply #241782 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I actually agree with EC on this one.

1. Bruce will need to show alot more improvement this season but his lack of pre season does not indicate that.

2. From the rumours it seems he is not mentally with it currently (Only rumours tho none of us know for sure)

3. Theres no point throwing lots of money at him if he is just going to quit from basketball next season.

4. We are better off with a Import PG at this stage and with this team.

Id be happy to see him in the team as a sub though.

Reply #241784 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If Sturt was under 23 , may have made things a bit easier, but he turned 23 , last month.

Reply #241785 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So its not reasonable to suggest that an import PG should be sought as we don't have the calibre of player in Australia that can be signed as a starting PG. Last season was very mediocre. If people are happy with that, then perhaps the problem is that I set the bar a little higher. Nobody can judge the strength of the team at present until the imports are not only signed but proven themselves. From what we do have right now, I feel its safe to say that its critical that we get 2 really decent imports. We only have 1 true starter and that's Ballinger. I can't for the life of me see why Ninnis is filling his roster with cheap bench quality players.

Reply #241786 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

241781, there are solid sixth men there in Ng and Hill.

KJ, I also don't think Bruce is going to be starting PG on a championship contender in a hurry.

EC, the point is not that Bruce wouldn't be ideal, but that you fail to comprehend what it takes to sign players and the difficulties that the 36ers, in their current position, face in doing so. On top of that, any time I have suggested that you name realistic targets for recruitment, you have completely failed to do so.

There is more than Ballinger as a starter - there are two spare import spots if the money is available, and there is the starting centre from last season's championship team - that's pretty obvious. Then you add in someone like Hill, Ng or Holmes who could start if required.

Ninnis isn't just filling his team with bench quality players - he's recruiting his bench given that imports are not going to be picked up right away.

As a point of comparison, other bench players in the league will be Corletto, Johnson, Greer, Henare, Abercrombie, Trueman, Demos, Robbins, Wagstaff, etc. The high end of bench players will be Rogers, Cameron, Boucher, Crosswell, etc - not exactly tiers above what Adelaide have signed.

Reply #241787 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"C Burston/Sturt
F Ballinger/???
F Holmes/Hill
G Import/Ng
G Import/Herbert"

Just clearing this up, Herbert may only be 6'3" or so but he's not a PG by any means.

"KJ, I also don't think Bruce is going to be starting PG on a championship contender in a hurry."

Disagree.

Reply #241789 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

EC - I'd like to see the team you put together with the time and opportunities available to the new ownership and coaching group/management!!

Ballinger is the obvious, then throw in the two imports then Burston who was a starting centre for the dragons last year, and then Hill or Holmes (having started for the Sixers and dragons over the previous 4-5 years bar when Hodge was in). The rest are all quality guys who will back up i.e. Ng, Herbert (who started a few games I think here and there?), and then throw in Sturt who very well could be signed this week - a great talent with plenty of upside who was shafted over at Melbourne.

Remember too - games are only going to be 40 mins. The other thing is - do you expect to sign Anstey, Worthington, Ballinger, Barlow and Homicide for your starting 5 (or insert who you think the best are from 1 - 5)??? Money, points, geographical location and team/coach loyalties all come in to play at some point. Take a chill pill and put some perspective into it all - puzzles aren't put together overnight.

BTW - Sturt is in town tomorrow for a few days with both parties checking each other out. I think he would be a good pick up and would give us a great inside presence with his excellent jump shooting ability from all ranges.

Reply #241790 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I don't have names of realistic targets because I can't think of any here in Australia that are available and would fill the positions we need filled. I am not familiar with overseas players and this is where I expect Ninnis to scout them out. I'm not here to do his job for him but I would expect that in his position, he will do the right thing. Any suggestion of not being able to afford 2 decent imports does not sit well with me because we do not have a strong enough team to be able to do away with 1 or both of them. Isaac, do you have any suggestions on import players that the 36ers might be seeking? Perhaps there might be some positives there to discuss.

As for this very present time, I stand by 1 only starter in Ballinger.

Reply #241791 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

so burston being a championship starter dont count EC

Reply #241793 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Burston started on a championship team, and Holmes would start on most NBL teams.

As for the bench, I think the Sixers are looking solid. I haven't seen much of Herbert, but he appears to be an upgrade on Winitana.

So as fer as Ninnis' recruiting goes so far:

Burston - replaces Luke. Always difficult replacing the best C in the league, but getting the starting C from the championship team is pretty good. Well done.

Ballinger - would have been offered decent money elsewhere (especially after naturalising), so retaining his services isn't automatic. Top 5 player for a few years now, and will hopefully be around for many years.

Holmes - essesntial to have a glue guy on any successful team. Holmes provides leadership, rebounding and defence. Good signing.

Hill - Injury has set him back, but a 32 point performance in last years playoffs shows he has stepped up. At worst, a good benchy. At best, a break out year.

Ng - can flat out score. Replaces a fading Brett Maher and will provide a similar output. losing Maher makes the Holmes signing that much more important.

Herbert - haven't seen enough of him, but reports look good.

Sturt - not a done deal, but would be an upgrade on Cooper.

2 Imports - PG and Swingman.

EC - what's your beef with the above? If you don't know any good, available Aussies then you don't have an issue with the Aussie signings. Imports haven't been announced yet - I'd suggest the Sixers are working on that process. I really can't see what the problem is at this point in time.

Reply #241795 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, as thedoctor has said, if the imports haven't been signed, you don't know much about basketball talent, and you can't think of better, available, realistic Australian targets, why be so critical?

They didn't proceed far in the play-offs last year, so be it. There's since been some drama at the club and it's been kept alive - how about first stopping to appreciate the attempted building of a stable and viable base before crying for top-dollar imports and a team that will sweep all before it?

The club is working to a budget and trying to attract players who may have a perception of an unstable club. PC moved back to Townsville. Petrie supposedly has family in or near QLD. Goulding was originally with the Bullets and so is returning to QLD. Gibson was originally with the Bullets. Worthington only crossed town. Getting players to make a major move takes money and minutes. Getting Burston over Perth (he played juniors in WA) in a market devoid of solid bigs is a pretty good move, regardless of whether you consider him a starter.

Reply #241797 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Isaac, do you have any suggestions on import players that the 36ers might be seeking? Perhaps there might be some positives there to discuss."

How's this: http://linky.com.au/pkfp4

Reply #241799 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Just a thought, please do not tirade me with abuse but hypothetically, how good would this team be with Hodge starting at the PG and an athletic 3 man import(cheap american)-who can shoot the 3. This would be a very entertaining team to watch! We can always dream on what could have happened.

Sorry guys, on Sunday I watched the 36ers/Tiapans game from two season's ago in Cairns, both Hodge and Balls scored 40+ points each. What a game, memories.

Did you know that Ng averaged over 20+ points per game when Hodge came into the team that season.

Reply #241801 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

The 36ers starting 5 looks solid to me, Ballinger, Holmes and Burston, all experienced starters plus 2 imports is good, not much better available really, we would be worse if Ballinger was still a import. If we get 2 quality imports that starting 5 is on par with new zealand, holmes is as good as say Forman who started last year and remember when looking at the tigers that mackinnon isnt the same player he used to be and Kendall isnt really any better than a holmes either, so its not that bad.
Import names are a bit of a gamble anyway, but most clubs dont have too much trouble finding atleast a half decent SF/Sg import, pgs are more difficult but if they have found a decent one, which there are most likely, many in leagues like the d-league they are not really going to announce it til the deal is done anyway as they dont want another club snapping them up, so its best to keep it sorta hushed IMO. With imports they are also generally not names well known by people here, like who had heard of Willie Farley here before he was a sixer, even Hodge with his big time college career and nba stint wasnt exactly a household name to sixers fans before playing here.
Lets have faith in the coaches, i reckon our team is shaping together nicely, and they are recruiting a good young core of players to build on which is what most criticised smyth for not doing aswell when he was coaching, he seemed to favour more experience players so ninnis does it and gets dissed, gee these coaches cant win.

Reply #241802 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i was thinking that to and id imagine the 36ers were probably hoping to build around Hodge when he came back last year, as he would be a good fit for this team, could spend time anywhere from PG-PF in the NBL
imagine if we had him and say Rod Grizzard (slingers version), i belive thats what the tigers were trying to get last season before they signed Ebi, with Hodge driving and dishing/scoring and Griz shooting from the perimeter with Ng and Herbert and Ballinger and Holmes and Burston providing some toughness inside, ah well one can only dream,
speaking of Griz if we got ourselves a top shelf PG and could only get a cheap 2nd import and Griz was within budget would we like to bring him back, i wouldnt mind it, we could do alot worse especially having him for a full pre-season and season he probably would do alot better.

Reply #241803 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think Ninnis and all involved with the selecting of players have done a perfect job so far!

Reply #241804 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I think many of you posters would be fouled out in first half the way you attack the person not the points . Whilst I like many believe that Ec is wrong in analyzing the players we have signed I dont see that as a reason to attack a poster and the team as stands needs 2 good imports and could be a bit hit or miss with Hill -NG -- Herbert worst is a long way from their best and as stands we dont look a great defensive team.
I know a lot of posters love Bruce and I am ok in signing him at the right price but my god his turnovers last year were unbelievable at times.
Everytime he was rushing ball down I wanted Helter Skelter played over the sound system.
As Isaac posted the signing of Burston was a must with all good Aust. bigs OS or signed and SOS etc did well. He is close,equal or better to any starting centre so to say he is not a legit. starter is wrong.
Yes if we get the right imports we will be good and exciting type team and with a future over next few years .
If we had to have 1 cheap import and the Grizz. fitted in that category I would be ok with as with confidence there is something there and also could be exciting.

Reply #241812 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think you guys are being harsh in regards to Bruce's turnovers, I posted this a while back when the same discussion was being had during the season

Top 15 Assist players from last season
5.7 Shane Heal (27g) - Blaze
5.4 CJ Bruton (27g) - Breakers
5.1 Aaron Bruce (28g) - 36ers
5.1 Darnell Hinson (30g) - Wildcats
4.4 Corey Williams (29g) - Crocodiles
4.3 Kavossy Franklin (30g) - Hawks
4.0 Tony Ronaldson (30g) - Breakers
3.9 Darnell Mee (28g) - Taipans
3.9 Nathan Crosswell (29g) - Tigers
3.8 Graeme Dann (29g) - Spirit
3.7 Glen Saville (30g) - Hawks
3.7 Joe Ingles (30g) - Dragons
3.4 Brett Maher (26g) - 36ers
3.4 Dillon Boucher (30g) - Breakers
3.4 Peter Crawford (28g) - Wildcats

Top 15 in Turnovers
4.1 Corey Williams (29g) - Crocodiles
3.7 Justin Bowen (19g) - Blaze
3.3 Shawn Redhage (30g) - Wildcats
3.1 Glen Saville (30g) - Hawks
3.1 Kirk Penney (28g) - Breakers
3.1 Shane Heal (27g) - Blaze
3.0 Aaron Bruce (28g) - 36ers
3.0 Luke Whitehead (27g) - Blaze
2.9 Chris Anstey (28g) - Tigers
2.9 Darnell Hinson (30g) - Wildcats
2.9 Jason Smith (19g) - Spirit
2.8 Graeme Dann (29g) - Spirit
2.7 Martin Cattalini (29g) - Taipans
2.7 Rod Grizzard (26g) - Tigers
2.6 CJ Bruton (27g) - Breakers

I think those number talk for them selves.
Bruce had a better ratio than a number of our top PG's in the league. Looking at this you would still say CJ was the best PG in the league

Reply #241816 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

One thing I do like is that even if we don't win next season, if we can retain these guys, we have a very young talented team on paper, the future looks bright.
My guess is over the next few years we have a realistic opportunity to perhaps bring in a couple more local guys like a Ingles, Schenscher, Newley, Forman, add two of those guys and again the team just gets better. Have a look at Melbourne and they will likely lose Anstey and McKinnon from their starting five and their bench isn't exactly full of stars!

Reply #241818 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good points Panther but I guess lose Anstey and Mckinnon then can bring in imports with money saved.
But as you do like fact young team just add to end of season as plyrs become avail.
Be great win premiership with Schens. and Inglis or Newley in place of imports . You can dream.
Question as go along whilst agree Scotty should be coach and Hill& NG should be in team if dont get results or perform how are you going to replace them

Reply #241825 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Big Sexy if those stats are anything to go by that says Nathan Crosswell is rated better then Bruce in terms of Assist to turnovers.

Also the players that get more turnovers then Bruce also average lots more points then him and as a result should get more turnovers then him.

Finally there isn't one point guard in that list that you can say based on those stats Bruce is better then.

I would also like to see his game log for the season, to see what his assist to turnovers was like against the top teams compared to the bottom teams. I know he got 14 assist (or there abouts) against Gold Coast which were the bottom team. However NBLstats.com is down :(

Reply #241830 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

KingJames,
I was just pointing out is assist to turnover rate, as people keep on bagging his turnovers. The thing I like about Bruce is that he tries to make plays. People keep forgetting it was only is first season (which he won Rookie of the Year). To me he looked to pass to much and should have shot the ball more.

Reply #241833 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Come on KJ, Bruce is better than Dann at least and someone like Hinson wasn't exactly streets ahead in terms of what they brought to the Cats.

There's no shame in putting up those numbers in your rookie year at all.

Reply #241838 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Isaac thats true Bruce is better then Dann (even tho he is a SG and I was basing it on PG's. I should have been more specific) but the point I was making was those stats weren't really that positive for Bruce as the poster was trying to indicate.

Hinson was a much better player IMO and so he should be since his an import.

Anyway its all trivial. The ball is in Ninnis's court we will just wait to see what happens next. It would be good to get an update on Bruce's situation.

Reply #241856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah why not a waste money on importing a PG haha?

Get some decent big/wing men, Bruce will hold down the ship no worries if Sixers can sign him.. SO why bother wasting an import on the PG position.. Very silly

Alot of people on here are being so critical of bruce even though he was hands down in your top 3 players last season

Reply #241859 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I really dont know where the 'Bruce is turnover prone' brigade are coming from.

Undoubtedly, he had quite a few rookie turnovers and mistakes in his first year leading a team. Of course, that is excusable as it was his rookie year.

That said, he was by far one of the better (not best) point guards in the league last year.

It is not really fair to compare a rookie straight out of college with the CJ Brutons of the league. The better comparison would be to compare Bruce and CJ at similar stages in their career. Without NBL Stats that is hard to do, but I would be willing to bet that Bruce's stats are favourable to a similarly aged CJ Bruton.

The real test EC is to select the Aussie PGs running around in the NBL who you would take before Bruce. FWIW, I would take Bruce as a starting point guard over Daniel Joyce, Damien Martin, Shane Heal, Rhys Carter, Darryl Corletto, Kelvin Robertson, an aging Darnell Mee, and a half dozen other people who were on rosters last year.

Reply #241861 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

That is my point, all these people where saying how much he turns the ball over and in reality it is not that much compared to the better PG's in the league. I would be the first to admit he does throw some bad passes but he can also throw some fantastic ones as well, and these are all rookie mistakes (which he was).

Reply #241865 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I am a Bruce fan & would like to see the club sign him if possible.

My thoughts are that Bruce would not command as much as a quality import point guard. The money saved on signing Bruce could be spent on a quality swingman (like Hodge) that can flat out dominate - score; rebound, create his own shot of the dribble. I would sign Davo for another yr to take some of the pressure off & to give Bruce the time to iron out his inconsistencies.

You have to pay for quality & to try & squeeze 2 imports into the cap you may be left with 2 good players but we need a showman that can flat out play. One top import can win you the game of his own back & will help crowd numbers.

Reply #241876 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Let's say Donta Smith is $250k. He can produce some highlights and had his moments, but would he be that gamewinning player you want? I think he'd be a gamble and there'd be fewer alternatives of that Hodge-type of player you could get instead.

Reply #241878 | Report this post

aaa  
Years ago

I am a massive Bruce fan!

I think people remember the turnovers that hurt. Bruce did stuff up one game when he turned over the ball in the last few seconds and we lost. He also made some fantastic passes.

He needs to be signed.

we need an Import swing man!!

Reply #241881 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I agree Isaac - $250k for Donta is a big gamble & one I don't think the club needs to take. The club would be better off going for 2 cheaper import options that are still solid & proven - a PG / Combo guard & a swingman.

I guess it all depends on the available talent v the cost. We should enquire re Bonzi Wells who quit his Chinese club in Feb 2009. Apparently he struggled with the lifestyle & chinese culture. I doubt that we could afford him but if he has nothing lined up he may consider coming down under for a season or there could be other players of his calibre that may accept a contract for a season. If that were the case I'd look to sign Bruce & go with just the one import.

Hopefully there are some good alternatives in the D league or Europe that are looking for a change........

Reply #241904 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

FACT - the 36ers signed well last season. We had Ballinger, Maher, Schenscher, Holmes, Hill, Bruce, Davidson. Apart from Davidson's injury time, they were all very capable players.

FACT - we came 6th in a competition of 10 teams.

Please explain? Let me also point out the above are facts not opinion. With all the basketball knowledge going around on this forum, someone must have worked it out.

Reply #241920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But, but, but only three actual starters!

I will pull you up on your first "fact" - that's an opinion. And you've obviously omitted the Tyndale/Hodge/Grizzard succession of dramas.

I'll give you a few other opinions: The Breakers had Bruton, Penney, Rickert, Ronaldson, Forman, Jones and Boucher - all very capable players. The Tigers had Anstey, Mackinnon, Barlow, Ere, Grizzard/DT, Crosswell, Kendall, etc - all very capable players. The Wildcats had Hinson, Crawford, Redhage, Victor, Loughton, etc - all very capable players. The Taipans had Black, Abney, Cattalini, Mee, Boodnikoff, Grabau, Crosswhite - all very capable players. The Crocs had Williams, Rillie, Hinder, Ellis, Williamson and Robertson - all very capable players. The Dragons had Worthington, Burston, Groves/Smith, Darden, Gibson, Ingles, Vukona - all very capable players.

You copy?

Obviously you want to talk about Ninnis as a coach, but why not just put it down on the table and make your agenda perfectly clear? The alternative was Beveridge who was simply asking for too much. The out-going Smyth had taken the 36ers to 11th and 9th in the seasons prior.

Reply #241928 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I wanted to talk about nothing. I wanted an informed answer to a simple question that related only to the 36ers performance last season.

Reply #241933 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here you go: There were 5-6 other decent teams.

Reply #241937 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thank you. Answer accepted.

Reply #241939 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Not for nothing EC, but we were 13-2 at home last season. Granted the road form was ordinary at best, but there were some fantastic signs there, better than at any point in the preceding four seasons.

Reply #241948 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bruce's turnover numbers on paper may look bad to some but the games I saw had him bringing the ball up 1 out against a 2 man press, no help and turnovers ensured.

I really like Bruce's game and the potential he shows it would be a shame to let him slip through. His upside far out weigh a few turnovers a game and as mentioned he will only get better.

Reply #241949 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I cant work out why so much discussion about Bruce as it seems he is not on the radar for us either by his own decision or Scottys or SOS group.
He might be trying to get stars wages and he is not one yet though could become 1. But to say he did not do a lot of turnovers means you were at the bar or somwhere during games. And to say it was because of 2 man press well sorry you do a press if think PG cant handle it.
I dont know how are budget is going but would love to see us spend as much as can on a top import that will keep scoreboard ticking over and people through the doors and a cheaper import that will just do a job for us and maybe Davo. another season as a back up PG to do some hard def. or ball carrying .
Re Scotty as coach yet to prove himself but if he can assemble a team and keep together a couple of years he has his opportunity.
Least there was emotion out there last year and probably more this year

Reply #241961 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Good post Bretts the Man!

Reply #241972 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It's not about Bruce so much as about constant criticising on the organisation's recruiting without offering an alternative view.

Bruce came into it when EC said "I shudder every time he brings up the ball ", which is way over the top, then said that Ninnis had recruited a bunch of role players and only one worthy starter.

Again, this view is put forward without an alternative roster suggestion. In fact, with an acknowledgement of a total lack of any idea of worthy/available alternatives.

EC has a clear posting history of Ninnis-bashing, and the discussion went from there. As far as Bruce is concerned, he's the best young PG available, in the top 3 or 4 in Australia, has Olympic experience and did well when asked to be lead PG as a rookie. I'd be happy to see him return and grow as a player.

Reply #241990 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Don't forget that we have an under-23 player in our 10
as per NBL new rule.

Reply #241995 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

+1 thedoctor.

I'm glad we even have a league.

Reply #241998 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

thedoctor you are wrong. I didn't bring Bruce into it, it was a response to Moses Guthrie's post, 3rd post on this topic. If you go up there, this is what you will see;

C Burston, Sturt (rumours are strong)
PF Ballinger, Holmes
SF Import, Hill
SG Import, Herbert
PG Bruce (will sign soon), Ng

So please get your facts right and don't say Bruce came into it when I brought him into it. I may not have been very tactful in the way I phrased it but its been confirmed by the fact that most people would not put Bruce in the starting PG position and the club itself has indicated looking for an import PG.

Reply #242058 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

If you read my last post, it says:

"It's not about Bruce so much as about constant criticising on the organisation's recruiting without offering an alternative view."

You can have your opinion on Bruce, as can anyone else. An import would hopefully be an upgrade on his output last year, and Ninnis appears to be recruiting in a manner that suggests an import PG will be targeted.

If you read my posts, I actually don't care who "brought Bruce into it". What I'm bored of reading are posts that criticise without offering an alternative. I've said that repeatedly.

What I am struggling to comprehend is the basis for your criticism, considering the fact that Bruce doesn't appear to be on the Sixers radar, Ninnis has recruited the best available centre, re-signed Ballinger, solid bench players with two imports to come.

What would you have done differently?

Reply #242061 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My alternative suggestion has always been to bring in an import PG & import Centre. I can't give specific names of imports because I am not familiar with them, all I expect is that the coaches will scout them out and make a suitable choice. What other alternatives would you like me to suggest?

My response to you about Bruce was exclusively to this particular comment "Bruce came into it when EC said "I shudder every time he brings up the ball ","

Reply #242071 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

An import centre??? Really? You'd use an import spot on C instead of taking Burston and getting an import swingman? Yeah ok.

Reply #242081 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

XztatiK, that was before Burston was signed and talk about difficulty if finding legitimate centres. It was also quite irrelevant to the discussion as the discussion was about my lack of making alternative suggestions. So get a grip of yourself and don't keep popping up everytime I have something to say. Its getting very predictable and whilst most times I ignore you, there are times you need to be put back in your place.

Reply #242084 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC - again, my point is when you make comments like "As for this very present time, I stand by 1 only starter in Ballinger." , without actually offering an alternative, what's the point? To say that makes no sense unless you are proposing an alternative list or have other players in mind.

I'm reading your comments in the light of previous anti-Ninnis posts (of which there have been many).

Negative posts about the current recruiting, when in fact the sixers have made some very good sigings in a difficult climate, are tired and boring.

From your last post, it appears that you are happy with Burston. It looks like an import PG will be targeted based on other signings. Is it the case that Ballinger is the only signing you are happy with, and if so, why?

Reply #242087 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Just one nitpicky little issue theDoctor. I think you will find that Bruce has Commonwealth Games basketball experience, but was not involved in the Olympics. Otherwise I agree with your sentiments re Bruce.

Reply #242092 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Have you got a problem with the Commoinwealth Games? It's a top-class competition! :)

Reply #242094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce played for Australia at the 2006 World Championships as well.

36ers are making a big mistake letting him go.

Reply #242095 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're not letting him go - they're barely able to communicate with him from the sounds of things.

Reply #242106 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I'm still laughing at EC's post that started as..."I wanted to talk about nothing"...Is this an episode of Seinfeld!!!

Reply #242114 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

*back in my place*

Reply #242205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754