TR
Years ago

David Andersen a Rocket

The Hawks have traded David Andersen to the Rockets for cash and a future second rounder.

It'll be interesting to see if Andersen heads to the NBA now.

http://linky.com.au/17ebe

Topic #20475 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

dude you just beat me, looks better for him though.

Reply #243386 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

yeh he refused to go to the NBA with atlanta so he might now with houston if he sees they hav a genuine title shot

Reply #243387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is a bit soft for the 4-5 spot in the NBA. He has struggled internationally for that reason.

Good luck to him though.

Reply #243390 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

OMG now Andersen can help Newley get on board too, and then once T-Mac and Yao go down they should trade for Mills and Jawai. They would be awesome cos they played well at Olympics and in china.

Reply #243391 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

...and then they can trade for Brett Rainbow...I here he has a huge upside.

Reply #243393 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

The reason DA didnt go to Atlanta had nothing to do with whether they were a contender or not. They were only willing to ever offer him a rookie wage and he was never going to take a pay cut from $3 million Euro a year down to $500,000 or $600,000 USD.

Reply #243399 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I doubt Houston have the cap space to sign him to anywhere near as much as he is already on so I'd say he will stay in Europe.

Reply #243400 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I think that means Yao is out for the season - they will have some money to throw around - he'll be a good C/PF back up for them

Reply #243407 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree with DJ Rod...I think he will be signed to a 1 or 2 year deal that matches his Euro salary. Yao will be lucky to be fit to play even 1 game next season. He will play 15-20min a game as a back up PF and will provide them with some value with his perimeter shooting.

Reply #243412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think they already have a exemption for Yao being injured, i believe it was granted a few weeks ago.

Reply #243417 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

They were granted an injury exemption for Yao about 2 weeks ago. They used the 5.7 mill from the exemption to sign Ariza.

Reply #243418 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

That means they still have their full MLE. They have lost both Yao and Mutumbo so desperately need depth at centre. The only reason for this move is they intend to sign him as a backup, and are willing to pay enough to make it worth his while.

Reply #243429 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see if they can tempt DA to come to the US given the likely pay cut he would have to take. But you wouldn't think Houston would trade for his rights unless they thought they had a legit shot at signing him for next season!

Hope it happens, would be interesting to see how DA's shooting game goes in the NBA. Might be a bit of a Vlad Rad - but with better bulk and less mobility?

Reply #243431 | Report this post

D.Rose#1  
Years ago

Im sure they have something worked out with his agent before they traded for him. I never saw him as an NBA talent, it will be interesting to see how he goes.

Reply #243456 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

From what I can work out, Houston still have the MLE and bi-annual to use. They should be able to split that between Andersen and Budinger and make both of them happy.

Reply #243462 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BA have jumped on this breaking news and have actually been in contact with Andersen who is on holiday in Melbourne and since posted a news update.

Here is a grab:

I've spoken with the coach and the general manager and they're all excited about me coming in and this is why the main deal was done, so things are going ahead and they're just sorting out the particulars of the contract," Andersen said.

"I should get something signed and sealed in the next few days.

"Obviously to replace Yao is probably impossible because he's such a big guy and such a good player, so I'll just try to step in and help the team out and hopefully get an opportunity to play some good minutes.

"Training camp doesn't start until September some time so realistically they won't start until then but I'll probably be heading over there in the next ten days or so to do the signing, meet everyone, do the medicals and the press stuff.

Andersen described the opportunity to play in the NBA as a dream come true, even if he may have to take a pay cut to do it.

"You grow up looking at the NBA as the pinnacle of basketball and I've always had ambitions to play there.

"I've had a great time in Europe and played with some of the best clubs around there, so it's been really good, and now I'm going to try to take on the challenge of playing in the NBA."

"For me to go to the NBA I'm taking a slight financial hit because I've been playing for one of the best teams in the world and I've been taken care of very well, but I'm not going to be struggling.

"Who knows, if I do well in my first few years over there then maybe I can get lucky and land a big contract."

Full story and audio: http://linky.com.au/ufm61

Reply #243484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a huge fan of his game but have always been impressed with the way Andersen speaks and his honesty in interviews.

After hearing of this trade I thought it was pretty obvious the Rockets had worked something out with him beforehand. Much like Scola's rights being traded to the Rockets.

Reply #243485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets will need to offer soild cash cause he's earning a mint with those powerhouse europeans teams.

Reply #243502 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Great news. Another Aussie in the NBA. Congrats to Anderson.

Reply #243527 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

I thought another part of Andersen's misgivings about the NBA was the fact he wanted to be reasonably assured of getting PT... I'd say he'd be willing to settle for a little less as long as he gets cour time... He'd be loaded after playing/iving in Europe for a while... Houston (given what we know now) looks a pretty good fit for him right now...

Reply #243532 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Andersen will get quite a few minutes. It's either him starting at the 5 or Joey Dorsey at the moment.

Reply #243534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://davidandersen.com.au/

Reply #243558 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I don't know about how well he will do. If he struggles in international how can he expect to make an impact in the NBA

Reply #243562 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

He can pick and pop all game long in the NBA if he's playing the 5. The question will be, can he defend and rebound at an NBA level?

Reply #243655 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Boguts twitter

Andrew Bogut: Congrats 2 my National Teamate David AndersEn. Rumors is he is signing w/Houston. Im happy for him cause I know how much he wanted it! Yesterday

Reply #243659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I remember hearing somehwere that for the ten years he's been playing in Europe the last 5-6 years in Russia and then back in Spain last season he was on about $US1.5m-$US2m a season. Pretty much tax free, free accomodation, free driver, free cook/chef and I think even free food.

That's why he (or his agent) used to say he wouldn't consider playing in the NBA for less than $US5m a season. As after tax and all the other normal expenses he'd probably be left with about the same amount he earns in Europe. He'd probably have around $15m-$20m in AUS dollars in the bank already anyway.

I would think the reasoning behind him finally going over now after being drafted seven years ago is because of the GFC a lot of the big clubs in Europe can't really offer the kind of deals they were able to a few years ago. A lot of players in Russia for example were getting screwed over last season and not getting paid.

So financially it probably starts to make a bit of sense and of course you wouldn't want to go your whole career never playing in the NBA even though you could've walked into just about any team you like. Plus Houston are desperate for a starting centre if Yao as expected will be out injured for all of next season.

Unless he trains/plays poorly in the lead up to the start of the season he's pretty much got the starting centre spot there for him. The Rockets wouldn't have made the move with the intention of bring him off the bench I'd think.

Reply #243672 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754