LC
Years ago

Sengstock: Brisbane & Sydney back by next season

Read this article in today's The Age:

"BASKETBALL Australia boss Larry Sengstock has boldly declared there will be Sydney and Brisbane teams in the National Basketball League by this time next year."

"A grassroots bid backed by Basketball Queensland appears to be that state's best hope of NBL involvement. BA is seeking a more corporate-style presence in Sydney."

As pointed out in a few other threads, talk has been quiet on the Sydney front, but here is some positive signs...

Can it be done? I think the Brisbane option is more likely. Do Sydney deserve a team?

Link: http://linky.com.au/ah2q5

Topic #20612 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not about whether they deserve a team, just about whether people with money/passion want to do it and follow through.

Once they have a team back and they're called the Kings, people will show up. They need to however start making direct contact with fans because advertising costs there are prohibitive and it's much tougher to get publicity in mainstream media.

Reply #245197 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I have voiced my concerns repeatedly over BQ-led/inspired/assisted ventures.
If it comes down to them being involved again for the 2nd year in a row that they have failed dismally, I fear Brisbane will treat a resurrection like yet another 'the boy who cried wolf' for the third year running.
It is disappointing that any venture needs to be twined up with BQ given their dismal ability to take a task and turn it into a positive outcome like Wollongong and Cairns.

Reply #245239 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I'm all for a Sydney team, especially the Kings, but as long as they don't think they can hold the entire league to ransom because of the importance of a team in the biggest national market.
If they still don't have the plans in place, or the funding, then it's just bad luck, although everyone will be blaming Sengstock or saying "it's a joke."

Reply #245246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A second Melbourne team is also essential.

The Tigers only represent half the city.

Reply #245247 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

If Sydney can't come up with a team without having their butt kissed and being on TV every week then leave them out.
The league doesn't NEED Sydney in on any terms. Get the league back to its old successes and Sydney will come.
In the 80s Netball was a basket case and basketball was booming - now look at the state of things.
All it took was some far sighted thinking and a PLAN.

Reply #245272 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

melbourne really does need another team.
healthy rivalry is essential for australian fans.

would be good to have brisbane back in,bullets v blaze thing would be good for the game,i'm sure larry will have his finger on the pulse there.

as for sydney...... i must admit i did like the passion of the BEAT sydney thing.

something is just not right in sydney,its not just the b'ball scene.

Reply #245294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if they call them the sydney kings and not some pseudo gay name then i'll go to every game.

Reply #245363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754