Rupert
Years ago

Tigers - Are They For Real?

While everyone is talking the Tigers at being a contender again the following suggests some trouble may lie ahead...

While they have said no imports to start the season with Worthington going down and Greer coming off shoulder surgery and still not training they might need one because a month of regular season games without them (more so Wortho) could put them in serious trouble with only a final 4 this year. Bad start could really hurt any team.

Tigers first month of the season isn't easy.

2 30-Sep-09 WED MELBOURNE NEW ZEALAND
3 08-Oct-09 THU NEW ZEALAND MELBOURNE
3 10-Oct-09 SAT MELBOURNE TOWNSVILLE
4 14-Oct-09 WED GOLD COAST MELBOURNE
5 21-Oct-09 WED ADELAIDE MELBOURNE
5 25-Oct-09 SUN PERTH MELBOURNE
6 28-Oct-09 WED MELBOURNE GOLD COAST

Tigers will start as follows with full roster.
5 Chris Anstey (Captain)
4 Mark Worthington
3 Tommy Greer
2 Luke Kendall
1 Nathan Crosswell

While I know the obvious thing people will say is Crosswell and Kendall wont start together, just wait.

Offensively the 1/2/3 spots won't put alot of fear in teams that someone will go off with 15 in a quarter or 30 in a game. Realistically Corletto and O'Hea are the only perimeter scorers and one is coming off a substandard year while the other has basically never played and is 26 years old.

The Melbourne Tigers squad currently consists of the following players:
Chris Anstey (Captain)
Mark Worthington
Sam Mackinnon
Luke Kendall
Daryl Corletto
Nathan Crosswell
Tommy Greer
Daniel Johnson
Matt O'Hea
Ryan Bathie (development)
Bo Westover (development)
Edin Zunic (development)
Lucas Walker (on trial)
Tim Lang (on trial)

Interesting to note Walker is back from St Mary's but has a strange skill set. Athletic, built but will be undersized inside and doesn't have a perimeter game. Replica of Greer. The other being Lang who returned from Stetson and played SEABL for Kilsyth is there in Sturt's departure to Belgium.

Does this team put fear in your team?

Topic #20854 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Ryan Bathie is a good 3-man for them and has an inside-outside game. He returns to Australia after 4 years at Nicholls State and can provide some scoring.
I think they will be OK, but their ball handling and distribution is still their weak point.
We need to keep in mind that the majority of these players have been playing together as part of the Melbourne tigers Big V team that just won the title (minuis Anstey, Kendall, Crosswell and Wortho).

Reply #247729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely McPeake will take no chances and bringing in an import?

Reply #247735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be a lot more fearful if Bo is not in the lineup

All they need is to win half of first month's games. I believe they have the pieces to do that. I'm interested to see how Daniel Johnson is going to go, that kid can be a monster down there.

veteran teams like SA Spurs always start slow and finish strong. and at the same time you'd think other teams would need some time to gel eg. Gold Coast.

Reply #247736 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Mackinnon start over Greer?

Reply #247738 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It doesn't put fear in my team, mainly becuase my team no longer exists.

Reply #247742 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This Tigers team wouldnt even beat the Boomers

Reply #247755 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Remind me what happened to Barlow again??? Europe?

Reply #247766 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

IMO the Tigers will suit Hodge up at some stage during the season. Like NZ they have the ability to work within the cap somehow.

Reply #247784 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Barlow headed to Spain to play for Granada.

Reply #247785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tigers desperately need another quality perimeter player. Although, if Sam is healthy they can run a mean roster of Kendall, Corletto, Sam, Worthington and Anstey. Not many teams can contain that line-up.

Although, I don't see MacKinnon and Anstey being healthy all season which is why they must look into an import wing or one of the few Aussie's in Europe. Maybe trying to lure Damian Ryan or Liam Rush is a possibility. Or starting Corletto all season and using a Graeme Dann, Clint Reed orJohn Fitzgerald as a back-up.

Reply #247820 | Report this post

blazemember  
Years ago

it will be good for the league if tigers fail, mix it up a bit.

Reply #247974 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754