LC
Years ago

Goorjian firms as new coach of China

Herald-Sun: http://linky.com.au/dsw86

Replaced as Boomers boss after the Beijing Olympics, Brian Goorjian was picked up by China as an assistant coach, and is now apparently first in line to become head coach as pressure builds on incumbent Guo Shiqiang to keep his job.

Several Chinese media outlets and commentators have called for Guo to be fired after China failed to meet expectations at the recent Asian Championship and the Stankovic Cup tournament, which China hosted and was won by the Boomers under new coach Brett Brown.

I can see this happening for sure. Tom Maher was previously the Chinese women's coach and now Goorj is eet to take the reigns of the underperforming men's team.

Topic #20922 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

Bring on the already growing Australia v China rivalry...

Reply #248472 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Don't think China'll consider Australia a rival...

Reply #248494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Why not LA Boy?

Reply #248495 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - why not LA Boy?

They obviously value what we have to offer in the sport of basketball or they would not be taking on board our coaches (Maher & Goorjian and previosuly also Lindsey Gaze) and would not continually broker tours for Australian teams (such as the Andrew Gaze tours etc).

Reply #248497 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I'd like to know you're thinking about that too LA Boy.

Why wouldn't they consider us a rival? We just beat them on their home floor with a complete second string Boomers team, and as far as a I know, they had the majority of their top line players? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'd like to think rivalries are made and played out on the floor, and are not based on country size, number of NBA players etc etc. Not sure if that was where you were going with your disagreement with the possibility of an Australia / China rivalry?

Reply #248498 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I think what LA boy was trying to say was; in order to consolidate our rivalry the boomers need to take a group shot whereby they are all impersonating chinese people.

Reply #248510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all honesty, BA dont need a rivalry, but to play consistent basketball playing top quality opposition and winning...
Winning the Stankovic Cup tournament is certainly a step in the right direction, but not something to hang our hat on...

Good luck to Goorjian..hope he speaks the language...will make for a hard time coaching if he doesn't..

Reply #248516 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I don't think they'll consider Australia a rivalry because they are much more interested in beating other Asian countries like Taiwan.

With the influence of NBA, Chinese public don't really consider any other powerhouse in the world. To them, it's just a game they lost.

If you guys have read their media reports they don't really seem to care about how much they lost against Australia. BTW I can read, listen and speak in Chinese.

Oh yeah, also probably worth mentioning, last year during Olympics many Chinese watched USA VS Australian game and was surprised how well Australia played because they never really regarded the Boomers.

So that kind of give you guys a funny mind-set they have. It's kind of like basketball=CBA,Taiwan,Qatar,Korea,USA etc.

Reply #248549 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

"So that kind of give you guys ***a funny mind-set they have. It's kind of like basketball=CBA,Taiwan,Qatar,Korea,USA etc."

***an idea

Reply #248550 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

oh yeah, and imagine a Aussie business as a major sponsor for a New Zealand sport team?!?!

Reply #248551 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

LA Boy, I heard that Hoops SA is the new major sponsor for the Wool Blacks.

Watch this space..

Reply #248552 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I just love the concept of boy gooj patrolling the side court, vein popping and "assisting" the refs, all the time discussing the next plays... in chinese?

Go Boy Gooj...get that job, the crowds will love him.

Reply #248605 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

this job will suit Boy Goorj to a tee!

he has never spoken english in a time out before....looks like he wont have to now either!

Reply #248728 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

??????????-!

Reply #248748 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754