Architect
Years ago

Stadium Design- Feedback needed!

I'm designing a basketball stadium for a Uni Assignment.

I have a fairly good idea of what I want. I'm from Melb and have been to most stadiums around Vic.

Its going to be fairly extravagant- 8 courts and a showcourt.

What I need help with is all the little things. From everyone's experiences, you would have seen something at a stadium that you really liked. So please share here.

This can be anything from how the carpark was designed, where to best put the scoreboards ect.?

Appreciate any feedback.

Topic #20930 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The Dome has retractable courts to switch from a single showcourt to three courts. Great in theory but realistically the three court mode provides minimal seating when all three are being used.

Reply #248555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is supposed to be a 2metre clearance around the bball court, according to the fiba rules

Reply #248558 | Report this post

Statsmen  
Years ago

Check out www.fiba.com for stadium requirements. Can't remember when certainly try the equipment doco and also maybe General Statutes and Internal Regulations. Can't be more specific. New court markings will be introduced during 2010.

Reply #248560 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A design whereby spectators do not walk in front of the benches during a game...

Reply #248563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A mezzanine floor with windows to look out over the stadium. REstaurant on the mezzanine floor.

Reply #248564 | Report this post

mm  
Years ago

heating and cooling

Reply #248566 | Report this post

Norwood123  
Years ago

Reply #248568 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Good to have a coffee shop that looks out on the court.

Reply #248570 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

Scoreboard(s) that can be seen by everyone irrespective of where they are on the court of the game of interest.

Reply #248591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be wary of the three court type set up at the Dome. One court layout is fine but switch to three then limited viewing but worse than that is the positioning of the coaches and score bench at one end. In this layout it is without a doubt the worst court to play on. I would rather play and coach on Court 2 at Marion or Hillcrest!!

Reply #248594 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

One thing that has always annoyed me, especially during winter when outside courts are mostly unusable, is that stadiums always have organised games on every court and never set decent court space aside for some practice/ warmup rings (I mean enough room for at least one half court pick up game).

So for example, I am saying that if you decide you need three courts for organised games, the stadium should be built to house the extra practice space as well.

This would be great, firstly for people who want to warmup and get their eye in before a game, but also so people who just want to play some pick up or work on skills, can do so whenever they want to.

I realise that they probably don't do this, because economically they probably want all court space being used by paying players, to ensure the most rapid return possible on the stadium. But I would think you could still make it work economically - it would just take a little longer to recoup costs. If necessary you could mitigate this by charging people a couple of bucks at a time to use the practice court - or even a stadium membership option.

I reckon if this option existed, over time you'd see a lot more people with improved skills and you'd be more likely to build a bit of a 'gym rat' culture. Both of these things will help basketball in this country in terms of better players and more people supporting the NBL and grass roots basketball.

Reply #248598 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

The sydney entertainment centre is not a basketball friendly stadium because the box/sponsors seats go for quite a few rows so first 'fans' are a long way away, also one end is where the stage is and is nothing but a few boxes. The perth ent cent is set up in the opposite way where the 'stage' is one side of the basketball court, while the curled seating takes up the two ends and the other side, it seems better for some reason.

I've noticed some stadiums in china where the basket ends of the stadium accomodates only a few layered rows, while each side of the stadium is a kind of semi circle of layered rows where the bulk of the crowd sit. For a small (non NBA) stadium I think this is the best layout - have as many people sitting 'courtside' as possible with a minimum at each end where the action happens only half the time.

The adelaide DH dome is probably the best nbl stadium i've been to (apart from the adelaide fans which drowned out my cheers for the now defunct sydney kings).

Reply #248606 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

you need to manage wet areas really well - multiple change facilities - and separately lockable change/toilet facilities. 2 x female change, 2 x male change, 2 x toilet sets.

If you are going 8 courts i would configure it 3 / 3 / 2 - effectively as separate halls within a perhaps hexagonally designed precinct and centralised around an entry/toilet/changeroom hub. One of the 3 halls becomes your show court with pull out seating. The 2 court hall would have permanent seating for perhaps 200-300 on each court. This can be bench based seating.

Canteens and kiosks need to be placed in high traffic areas so the hub makes a lot of sense. I would then go upstairs for centralised meeting rooms and administration offices. good luck.

Reply #248612 | Report this post

lawnes  
Years ago

Tips: Permanent Sign Boards that will say "This is a Basketball Court and Basketball Games Should be Prioritised!" Its an unfortunate for basketball game here in Australia that even the majorities of Basketball Indoor Courts are booked up for Soccer Indoor Games and putting aside Basketball games! what a SHAME!

Reply #248641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754