LC
Years ago

Is Pau Gasol headed for the Hall of Fame?

Great article on ESPN about Spaniard and LA Laker Pau Gasol following Eurobasket 2009 and the Spanish win.

"In 2009, Gasol was the dominant player at the Eurobasket, easily winning the tournament MVP for his terrific all-around play over the last two weeks. Pau's stat line for the tourney: 18.7 points, 8.3 rebounds, 2.2 blocks, 1.2 assists, 66 percent from the field, and even four-of-nine from 3-point range. He led the tourney in scoring and blocked shots, and finished second in field goal percentage and rebounds per game."

ESPN Link: http://linky.com.au/e1dcd

Author Jay Aych makes a good case for Pau to eventually be inducted into the basketball hall of fame. I tend to agree with him too. There is no coincidence that Spain's rise on the world stage mirrors that of Gasol.

Topic #21051 | Report this topic

Avv  
Years ago

The commentators were finally convinced of his ability during last year's NBA Finals:

"Pau should run a big man camp in the summer and I tell you, everyone big man in the NBA would want to attend" (Mark Jackson I think that was)

Reply #250202 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Not sure, has there been an international player inducted into Hall of Fame?

Reply #250206 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Taken from the aforementioned article:

The Hall of Fame had set a tenuous precedent by inducting FIBA legends Drazen Petrovic, Dino Meneghin and Drazen Dalipagic. By those standards, Gasol is already a Hall-of-Famer, though guys like Vlade Divac, Toni Kukoc and Arvydas Sabonis fall in the same boat -- qualified by FIBA standards, but falling short by NBA standards -- and it's uncertain how the Hall will treat them.

Reply #250219 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBA or FIBA hall of fame?

Reply #250220 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I don't think there's a NBA Hall of Fame. It's called "Basketball Hall of Fame" though dominated by NBA players and coaches. I'm just not sure if there's an international player in it yet.

Reply #250223 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

There's some......for example.....

Dražen Dalipagi? - Serbia
Dino Meneghin - Italy
Krešimir ?osi? - Yugoslavia

There's even a Brazilian woman - Hortência Marcari

There is also a FIBA Hall of Fame as well as the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame......Both allow players AND other game participants (refs, coaches, etc). Both also allow non-NBA inductees.

Kind of makes you wonder why they don't just merge. I'd personally be happy if the Naismith Hall of Fame (he DID invent the game) was the HOF for all basketball.

Reply #250228 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Hortência is also in the FIBA Hall of Fame

Reply #250231 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

She was a bloody good player too.

Reply #250233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754