Sturty6ers
Years ago

Catallini signs with the Taipans

It was announced on the Channel 10 news in Cairns that Martin Catallini has signed a three years deal with The Taipans.

Topic #2112 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The max should be two years I thought?

Anyone else hearing the Paul Rogers to Wollongong rumours?

Reply #23958 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

They did say three though.

Reply #23960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two years and an option?

Reply #23961 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yes probably.

Reply #23964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sad 2 see cat go . but im happy to see him do 2 tiapans coz i sorta like that team.

Reply #23965 | Report this post

bloody hell  
Years ago

Ninnis announced the same thing on Talking Hoops tonight, 2 + 1 I think.

Reply #23972 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What, the Taipans are picking up Ninnis?

Reply #23975 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

radio show. Glad for cat, sad to see him on another team. Hopefully he has bad games against us :-)

Reply #23976 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

Cat is a champ and will forever be cheered in adelaide no matter who he plays for....i mean unless he changes his name to kruger or bradtke or plays for the kings!

Reply #23981 | Report this post

Buddha  
Years ago

Speaking of kruger is that bloke in gaol yet?!

Reply #23982 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Can anyone suggest why Cat has signed with someone else so quickly before the 36ERS have really started negotiations for next season?

I heard Phil a week or so ago saying they werent really pursuing him that much, I think because he wanted to stitch something up sooner than the club could?

It didnt sound like they got to talk too seriously?

Reply #24000 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

So if Cattalini has signed for the Taipans, does that mean they will soon announce Alan Black as coach?

Reply #24002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They already have announced it

Reply #24003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two year deal. Announced last week I think.

Reply #24004 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Oh right. I didn't see that.

Reply #24006 | Report this post

DARK DIRK  
Years ago

I thought that he didnt like the coach, which is one of the reasons he didnt return to the wildcats a few seasons ago.
cheers

Reply #24018 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Bloody hell! I was hoping that this was an April fools joke that someone delivered early...

Reply #24022 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Im laying 50 bucks on the table that Stephen Black (FREE AGENT) will be playing for daddy again next year in cairns, that team will be top 4 for sure

Reply #24031 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Who did Cairns target in the SA U20s??? Another soul going north maybe?

Reply #24033 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kriss, Black is not a free agent. One year left on his Bullets contract.

Reply #24039 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Hey Issac - I just checked the NBL website of the list of free agents and Black is on that list?? Do you know something we don't

Reply #24052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oops, missed him. Maybe he has an option that they haven't listed? I remember a Bullets fan being adamant that Black was still contracted. Who knows.

Reply #24053 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Of course Black will play with the Taipans. I just can't believe these guys (eg Rogers, Cattalini amongst others) who the 36ers sell their collective souls for (post 2002-championship) and then Cattalini goes and signs elsewhere without seriously looking at Adelaide.

I say stuff him. Boo him, and boo him hard ..... well, at least as loudly as you can with less spectators than we would've filled Apollo with! ;-)

Reply #24058 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

And just who would Cattalini have replaced?? Dusty or Holmes, as out only 2 other recognised forwards?

Reply #24059 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hang on a sec

Cattalini 'promised' to return to the Wildcats and burnt them to play with us, so why such surprise that he has gone to Cairns?

Hopefully Cat can turn them into a competitive side and if the add Black Jnr it will be good for BBall up there.

Reply #24074 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yogee if Cat came back he would replace Jacob in an instant!

In saying that Im with Moses - We do the right thing by releasing these guys to follow their dream (ie $$$$) to play in another league then they come back and play elsewhere. What a shame there isnt more people like Brett who have the professional integrity to follow through on a contract and then look at other options...and be open about it!

Reply #24083 | Report this post

skyhook  
Years ago

First time poster !!
Re: Rogers ... good luck to anyone that can get a full season out of him. He has been the most dominant 7 footer to sit on an injured list for a "long" time.

Reply #24100 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Yeah, I'm with Statman.

Cat would have been a great pick-up.

The teams still standing go 8 or 9 deep.

Great news to hear that Maher will most likely be back next season.

While Oscar and Jacob have great potential, SF and C were our weakest positions this year.

While it would be nice to pick up a great centre, we all know that this is very unlikely. Cat on the other hand, when healthy is arguably the best small forward in the game.

Cooper would have been good enough at centre with Maher, Farley, Cat and Dusty as the big four.

Holmes, Forman, Hill and Rees is a pretty good bench.

I guess there was no way we could offer anything close to what Cairns could offer Cat.

Will be interesting to see who the 36ers go after.

Reply #24315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If we likely maxed out on the cap this season, what are our chances of fielding a better team next season? It's been publically alluded to that Smyth will be given a smaller budget with which to buy his roster.

Maher, not any cheaper. Farley and Rychart (if they return) won't be any cheaper. Holmes' option wouldn't have been any less. Forman's second year wouldn't have been any less. Hill will be on a full contract rather than per-game payments. If Rees returns, he won't be any cheaper given that he would've been on minimum (still earning the extra from the Bullets). Cooper, not any cheaper. That leaves Ng, Williams and Nash. If Ng stays, again, he won't be cheaper. Williams wouldn't have been expensive, so after a decrease in budget, who could we possibly sign?

Reply #24316 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

You are right Isaac. It is going to be difficult to pick up any name players. Having said that, I'm not convinced that we were maxed out either re points or cash this year.

I hope the core of Maher, Farley, Rychart, Holmes, Forman, Cooper and Hill will be resigned.

That isn't a bad 7 there alone.

That leaves Ng, Rees and Nash from this year's roster assuming Hill takes Williams spot.

Nash would be the only one of those three with a decent salary we could use to target an established free agent.

I would prefer to see the final 3 positions used on young players yet to play in the NBL.

Preferably a couple of bigs and another guard.

There is a lot of talent out there.

Schenscher and Crosswhite have finished up over in the US.

Kersten is doing well at the point for the AIS, Adam Gibson from Tas/AIS has been selected in the world team to play the US U/19 team, Joe Ingles has the potential to have a good NBL career.

I haven't seen many of the other AIS guys play but Jeff Dowdell seems to put up good numbers consistently.

I'm sure there are other players who are finishing up from their stints in the NCAA that could make an impact in the NBL. I had never heard of Luke Kendall and he was probably ahead of Newley for rookie of the year before he got injured.

With a limited budget, the 36ers could do worse than go after the best 3 rookies they can get.

Reply #24318 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ng may be cheaper this next season as his studies are becoming more demanding and his role with the Sixers will likely decrease. Maher has been on a contract pre 30% salary cap slash and its unreasonable that his salary won't be cut by 30% or thereabouts. Especially with Smyth and Breheny both taking a cut in pay. You then have Nash and William's salary available. Hill's salary won't be that great as it will be his 1st full season and he is young and inexperienced. There is also no guarantee at this stage that Holmes will be back. Cattalini back with the Sixers looks like it may have been a possibility.

Reply #24321 | Report this post

trippin zzz  
Years ago

Yo Yo Yo

Trippin zzz needs to c more of Dwayne Da D train bustin some effects

PEACE...we out

Reply #42743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754