Bizzy
Years ago

Fox Coverage and new/potential fans

I know this has been mentioned in a few threads but thought after a couple of rounds that the Fox Commentary could be discussed again.

I have watched the 3 games covered by Fox this season (not including the NZL games) and have been extremely happy with the commentary.

From a basketball lovers perspective I love that they have used to extremely knowledgable and successful (to a point in Heals case) players to provide a players point of view.

By aligning these players with Brian Taylor and Dwayne Russell I think Fox have found a great blend of basketball knowledge and just enthusiastic and entertaining commentators.

I have noticed how both BT and Russell haven't tried to pretend like they know basketball and have asked the right questions of Gaze/Heal to get a better understanding.

IMO by asking what some basketball fans will see as "dumb" questions they are going to keep someone who may have a passing interest and not fully understand the game intrigued as well as anyone who may be channel surfing and hears BT getting excited to continue watching and gain an understanding of the game.

What are other people's thoughts?

Topic #21222 | Report this topic

M&M  
Years ago

they just need it on free to air now!

Reply #252093 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

the NZ coverage is a tad hard to follow! otherwise they are doing a good job!

Reply #252096 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Heal's defence of Harvey's shot selection last night was amusing.
Is Heal commentating in Adelaide or will it be Gaze?
I still shake my head at the fact that Heal is an assistant coach for the Boomers.

Reply #252097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BT and Dwayne have both done great jobs for FOX so far.

Dwayne Russell commentates as if he has done this for years, he knows the right words he doesn't try to go overboard and does an all round quality commentary.

Reply #252098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bizzy, that's exactly what I thought when watching Tigers vs Breakers last round - the less-knowledgeable commentator in each case can lob up talking points to Gaze or Heal and provide a less intimidating experience for those just checking out the sport.

Reply #252102 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think it is a great mix...the only thing that now needs fixing from this perspective is those hugely biased and annoying NZ commentators!

Reply #252103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Given that it's for a NZ audience and we're lucky to see it at all, I don't know why people complain. I think they're fine and the Maori words/translations are something different.

Reply #252105 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Interesting if it makes free-to-air next season who they may get commentating. If it's on ONE may we see other AFL commentators moving across to call some bball as well perhaps?

Reply #252106 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Steve Carfino is the face of Australian basketball. I am absoloutely gutted he is not commentating. Basketball needs colour and Characters. Not some lame auusie AFL commentators.

Get Lenard Copeland on the Mic.

Reply #252107 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Change is good. Australian basketball needs to re-connect with the people. Not sure if continuing with what we had would help facilitate that.

Reply #252111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with most that this has been a great move by Fox Sports bringing in AFL commentators in BT & Dwayne Russell. Both have enough history and knowledge of the game to get by and throw up "newbie" questions to Gaze & Heal which will help to draw in those who are not hardcore basketball followers.

Leaving Carfino as the face of their NBL coverage would do nothing to advance the sport in this country.

Reply #252113 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Pretty much how it is done in the US with the nationally televised games on the major networks. Especially noticable during Playoffs/Finals when the idea is that more 'casual' fans will be watching. The play-by-play announcer will often pose 'simple' questions to the colour guy.

Then listen to Hubie Brown explain 'You try to tell guys, you never dribble just once' or 'You try to tell guys, will you please wait until the screener is set' or 'You cannot feed a guy in the post from above the free throw line'

Reply #252118 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

did someone really say on here a little while ago that Steve Carfino was the face of Australian basketball?

Was he serious? Tell me he was taking the piss....

Reply #252147 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"IMO by asking what some basketball fans will see as "dumb" questions they are going to keep someone who may have a passing interest and not fully understand the game intrigued as well as anyone who may be channel surfing and hears BT getting excited to continue watching and gain an understanding of the game."

Good call Biz. BT moreso than Russell. I had a laugh when BT was trying to figure out what Fearne was drawing up in a timeout, and they ended up just passing it to Melzer on the wing for a tre. "WELL WHY DIDN'T HE JUST SAY PASS IT TO MELZER ON THE WING?!?!?!" lol.

As I said in the other thread, I much prefer the Russell/Gaze team. It's more free-flowing, less awkward gaps. Plus, who really wants to hear the Hammer?

Certainly not against more football commentators switching for the summer. I can see Quatermain making a smooth transition if NBL goes to ONE.

Reply #252159 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

There are lots of people in the local television sports industry who have called the game at NBL level. Quatermain has called basketball in the past and so has Bill Woods. I even remember listening to Dennis Commetti call some of the wildcat games. Mark Berreta has called games also. Still wish the great Clinton Grybas was walking the earth, he was brilliant.

Reply #252164 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Loving the fact we arn't getting the old play by play.
Player A passes to player B who than passes to player C who than 'insert Casey'ism here'.

Noted to some friends the other night who are longtime bball fans that the commentary is there but not intrussive and you almost forget they are commentating and just enjoy the hoops. They have a relaxed voice/call of the game and ala NBA discuss other things other than where the ball is at that exact moment.

Liking it alot.

Reply #252174 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"almost forget they are commentating" - that's it. Same goes with good refereeing I guess. I don't like the idea of Shane "What League" "Spring Roll" Heal being involved, but it's probably for the best for the league and Fox - known AFL commentators with two prolific Australian hoops identities.

There was a good article on The Age site about the changes to the Fox coverage, but I can't find it now.

Reply #252177 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think you will find that The Age link is in another thread about the NBL's new season Isaac.

But you are totally right.

Reply #252179 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I loved Casey's commentary, but am enjoying the new commentary too. BT makes the game seem mnore exciting than Russell, and Heal is far more positive than Gaze, who is just ok in my opinion.

Does anyone else laugh at how many times Gaze talks about how bad the defence is?? Pot or kettle?

Last week the Crocs had made two consecutive shots in the paint over an outstretched Schenscher hand and all Drewey can say is the defence is terrible. Give some credit to the offence maing some tough shots!

Reply #252189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Quatermain used to do the NBLs commentary for Channel Ten back in the day?

Reply #252197 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754