Isaac
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers vs Crocs, Oct 9 - Game Day

So far in the 2009/10 NBL, there have been just two road wins, each by a single bucket and both involving Townsville. Can the Crocs buck the trend and steal a win in Adelaide? They've lost Michael Cedar to injury and have a 1-1 record, first edging the Blaze on the Gold Coast, and then dropping a heart-breaker at home to the Cats.

The big match-up rightfully being pitched to fans is John Gilchrist vs Corey Williams - Pitbull vs Homicide. A one-on-one game between these two could sell tickets on its own.

Would you play Gilchrist on Homicide, head-to-head, or try Nathan Herbert on him?

Matt Burston was used sparingly last week after having some problems with his hand. Not sure about his recovery progress, but if he's out, this is probably a reasonable game for it with the Crocs running a shorter frontcourt of Rolan Roberts and Russell Hinder. Adam Ballinger and Jacob Holmes could handle them well enough if needed.

Who's getting to the game? And what's your tip?

I'm thinking Adelaide by 8.

Topic #21229 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

TabSportsBet says

To win
Adelaide = $1.65
By 1-10 = $2.60
By 11+ = $4.00

Townsville = $2.20
By 1-10 = $3.10
By 11+ = $6.00

$1.90 line bet is set 2.5 point advantage for the Crocs.

Top Scorer from this group of four
Williams - $2.75
Ballinger - $3.00
Gilchrist - $3.50
Roberts = $7.00

I quite like the line bet for the Sixers and Balls to top score.

Reply #252190 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Sixers by 10.

However I wouldn't mind seeing Brad Hill starting at the 3 over Herbert this game to see how that lineup fairs.

Reply #252191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers by 5

I'll be there, can't wait for tip off.

LETS GO SIXERS LETS GO

Reply #252193 | Report this post

OT Fan #1  
Years ago

I think the Crocs will need a BIG game from PC for us to get close.

We'll struggle to score tonight.

If I was a betting man I'd be on Adelaide by 11+

Reply #252196 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Will be tough without Cedar, but it gives more opportunities for Williamson and Crawford, who are certainly both up to the challenge if on their games. But if the Crocs are to win this they need to get more out of Hinder - he didn't appear to be well used last week.

Sixers for mine though, they have a very well balanced team.

Reply #252198 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I'll be there as always, Sixers By 10!

I too would like to see Hill start, then maybe put Herbert on if Homicide gets homicidal, i do think Herbert could shut him down!

Reply #252199 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I will be there, I am going to say Adelaide by 15, Cedar as been one of the Crocs main offensive weapons without him they will struggle.

Reply #252200 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I'll be there... excited about it because I was away for the opener last week, so I haven't seen this squad play together yet.

Reply #252201 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Isaac use Gilchrist on Corey in the 4th, no point in wasting energy and fouls.
Think the game will be decided by the matchup between Roberts and the players you mark him with.
Losing Cedar is a blow for them so your guys might be able to sneak this one.
Sixers by 6.

Reply #252202 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

That'd explain why I couldn't find ya last week hereschenes!

Grabbing a meal in the Apolo first - can't wait for game time.

SportsBet has the following 'wil be up for manslaughter by Saturday' odds:

Gilchrist $1.90
Homicide $1.50
Ng $9

Reply #252205 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I was impressed with the Sixers improved defence last week and I think Gilchrist has the speed and desire to make life difficult for Homicide, so I like their chances.

Rebounding is where the Sixers have been suspect so far, but if Burston bounces back from his injury niggles this week, I think they can correct that.

I like the way the Sixers are isolating Hill on the wing as one of their go to offensive options now. He was very effective last week.

They mustn't forget about Balls though. He is still their best offensive option by a long way and they went away from him for too long last week in the second half.

I'll say Sixers by 5.

Reply #252208 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Homocide v "Gloves" Gilly - matchup of the round

Sixers by 6.

Molly to have a run tonight me-thinks

Reply #252210 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sixer should win and my tip would be 11+ BUT always have had a tendancy to just scrape over (and heaven forbid sometimes lose) those should win games.

Given the odds wouldnt be throwing too much on Sixers or Sixers 11+.

Thought long and hard about game total before looking at the odds and concluded 164 (normally if its 4 pts either side I won't get on board) - Game Total is set at 164.5!!! LOL

Half time/Full Time Sixers is probably the only bet I'd be thinking of seriously tonight.

Reply #252212 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

36ers by 18.

Gilchrist 22 vs. Homicide 14.

Reply #252217 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Pretty sure we are on a 11 game winning streak at home.

Reply #252222 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

John 'The Baptist' to dominate Homicide.

Reply #252225 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Don't Jinx us Skip!

Reply #252227 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I'll be waiting for that patented arms-of-disbelief pose, Loco! :)

Reply #252237 | Report this post

campbell  
Years ago

yep loading up on 36ers -2.5 and ballinger for the points... like it SKIP

Reply #252238 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I threw the "arms of disbelief" up during the opener actually before I could stop myself.

Reply #252241 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Am most looking forward to Gilchrist's Rasheed Wallace pre game impersonation ! Its classic !

Reply #252249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Burston out with minor fracture.

Mark Aiston just said on 10 ten to finish things off

Reply #252250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp will be replacing Burston tonight and Gilchrist is carrying a hand injury but will play.

Reply #252263 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Frickin' injuries! The NBL seems plagued with them right now... Cedar, Penney, Burston, Gilly even!

Hope Garlepp has a good game tonight. He seemed to do well in pre-season.

Reply #252266 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Looking forward to the pre-game as well (if it's shown on the live stream?)
But live stream yet to load - Error: Timed-out while trying to connect.

Hopefully just some teething issue that will work itself in a min or to ;)

Reply #252276 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw that must mean Garlepp is on our player list..
The game is not on radio 891 - sad , as I couldn't go tonite.

Reply #252280 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

FIBA also crashed just before half time.
Sounds like the live stream didn't work.
Ng 4/4 3 pointers - subbed out - I think.

Reply #252322 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

so both stats and streaming are crashing - sounds like a venue internet problem more than anything.

Reply #252328 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

that was an epic fade by the 6er's in the 3rd

Reply #252333 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

corey williams is killing it

6er's are shot, what a joke of a team

Reply #252336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

after putting 80 bucks on the sixers at the line and to see them blow an 18 point lead to scrape over by 1..
I'm outraged!

Reply #252339 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

18 up at half-time, then level at 3 qtr time and we win by a point - would have loved to have seen it, reckon it would have been great - Corey in the third,but Gilchrist got it for us , in the end.

Reply #252344 | Report this post

manbearpig  
Years ago

PITBULL!!! O. M. F. G!!!

Reply #252345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gilly...amazing great atmosphere at the end of game which leaves a great taste in everyones mouth!! darren ng is pure!!

Reply #252349 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Critical analysis later... but oh HELL yeah!!

We won.

AND someone called John 'Pitbull'.

Oh it's a party.

Reply #252350 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

We nearly gave the game away by starting Herbert in each quarter. He needs to work harder to earn that position as we lack offensive balance when he is on. We started poorly in all quarters with him and it was the same last week.
Ng or Hill to start or we will be playing catch up each quarter.
We are light on on the bench! Take Brad out injured and we really needed a bench player to step up , a Brad Davison or someone like that!!!
Comments, Ayjay

Reply #252351 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

I think we dodged one there. I'm pretty sure that was a foul on the last play. Played so great the first half but man it was a different team after the break.

Reply #252352 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Herbert did a great job defensively. Moves his feet and doesn't reach. Wait until he gets his confidence.

Why wont Tez penetrate more often ?

And Jason - You are an assclown !

Reply #252353 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

are you talking about me elite?

just calling it as I see it

Reply #252355 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Joke of a team though ? Come on man...

Reply #252356 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

sure it was abit over the top but the comment was warranted at time

Reply #252357 | Report this post

Elite  
Years ago

Premature dude. Results in egg on your face.

Quality teams with quality players are going to go on runs.....we did.

Reply #252358 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

First pic and game report on NBL and 36ers sites now. We should have a short selection of photos up soon.

Reply #252363 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Did they say how long burston will be out for? Still don't understnd why we seem to go away from ballinger in the post. He is pretty much money and tonight we really forced some bad shot late in the clock. Gilly was great again but im not liking the transition threes.

Reply #252364 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sounds like tonight's game was a classic. Wish I'd been able to make it. Disappointing that we gave up a big lead so easily, but the main thing is we were good enough to fight out the last quarter and come out on top.

Can someone tell me who defended Homicide tonight? Especially when he got that run on in the third? Was it more poor individual defence or lack of good defensive rotations?

Any reason why Hill played so little tonight as well?

Reply #252373 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Beantown, Hill dived on a loose ball towards the end of the 3rd period and after colliding with herbert and i think Tovey for the Crocs, came up limping. Id suspect an ankle injury, he looked in some serious discomfort at one stage.

Reply #252378 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe. Hope it doesn't keep him out of any games. I really feel like he has a chance to take a bit step forward this season, but its not going to happen if he keeps getting injured. We badly need Burston to get healthy too if we want to contend.

Reply #252379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joshuapending,

Maher said on Inside The Game tonight the Sixers expect Burston to only be out for a week.

Reply #252383 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

MJ's dead but the thriller lives on. I'm still shaking. Gilchrist aka Pitbull (yep, Toft won the comp) you bloody star!!!! Soooo clutch.

Wow, obviously it didn't have to be that hard but they wanted to give the fans a show, they could've at least warned us at half time so we sould've gone and had a drink for 10 mins.

Burston. thanks for the signed ball after the game mate!

Balls: D and Rebounding was well below par, can't fault him on offence though (except for the third, of course).

Holmes: Typical game for Jake, D and Rebounding excellent, and he hit the open J when he needed to.

Herbert: Tried hard but he's just not a starting SF. I have a feeling Hill would respond really well to grabbing that starting spot. Will be interesting against the Tigers, surely we won't start Herbie on SammyMack/Wortho.

Tez: Getting to the hole with ease and I love the way he goes straight at (and over) the big guys in the paint for the layup rather than pulling up a bit at the end as a few of our players do too often. Needs to pick his outside shot choice a bit better, granted, he was left in a bad situation a few times tonight with the shotclock running down but personally I don't like to see him shooting any more than 3-4 threes a game unless he's on fire. I'm growing in confidence that he'll still be there for the finals.

PITBULL!!!: The man who recieved more nicknames in one week than some guy called Nick. CLUTCHNESS!!! Looks like we know who'll be taking the last shot from now on. He looked really hesitant to shoot the three at most times tonight as well, usually preferring to reset the offence if he caught it wide open after an O rebound, but he certainly wasn't hesitant in shooting those last two. Maybe that was his plan, get the D to sag off and then knock it on their heads when it counted. Thought he had the better of Homicide for all but the third. What more can I say? He's a legitimate challenger to CJ and Homicide (McKee's coming too) as the best PG in the league. Gun.

Cooper: CATCH THE FLIPPIN BALL!!!!!!! ANGRYYYYYY! How was he not credited with a TO? The passes he fumbled were fine, the TO's were clearly his fault. Guess they've got some guidelines for that, luckily for him. I don't want to be a Cooper-hater but his start to this season has been shocking.

Garlepp: Would've liked to see him play, he would've been pretty confident of getting some garbage time at the half but he was never going to play once it got close again. Then again he couldn't have done much worse than the man above^^^

Hill: Obviously didn't have his best game but attacked the rim as always and didn't make too many mistakes. Ninja's hot form hurt his minutes a bit, and that injury.

The Asian Brett Maher: Play of the year so far. First he hit a sweeeet three, then he blocks a transition layup, then he somehow keeps it inbounds, and then he hits another three at the other end thanks to some good hustle by Hill. That alone set the place off and caused TVL to call a timeout. Brilliant stuff. 5-6 from three says it all. Interseting to see Ninnis have the confidence to put him on Homicide later in the game as well. He probably wasn't as effective as Pitbull and Herbert but wasn't terrible.

Crocs: Well Homicide certainly shut me up didn't he!(82 DT points for those interested) Hinder too, the animal. Clearly an inferior team but give them full credit for that comeback. PC needs to know when to stop shooting and Tovey should look to attack more, he's too much of a confidence player atm and goes into his shell a bit. Rolan Roberts is an absolute beast! You let him catch the ball that close to the hoop and you're gone. Probably the strongest player in the league and he makes up for his height (201) with a seemingly huge winspan... plus he's my DT and FNBL captain ;)

Refs: Props to them for not falling for Crawford's flopping. But this travel 'interpretation' is still killing me. It's ridiculous. They're not taking three steps= it's not a travel. Saw a few 50/50 charging/blocking calls that could've easily gone the other way, and a few very soft bumps called. Just happy they didn't call the last one. The one that looks like the bald guy on Masterchef isn't a bad ref.

Skip: I will give you $5 at the next game to stop playing the Presets song. Deal? Other than that great job. Might be time to start playing "Krazy" by Pitbull now that Gilchrist has his nickname.

Crowd: I think it would be awesome to introduce a new thing during opposition free-throws. If we had a short countdown in which we are all quiet and then we all erupt at the same time right as his hand comes up. Could be done by Skip maybe. If not, red 'noodles' behind the baskets are always good. It was a great, lively crowd tonight though. It's such a great atmosphere when everyone goes nuts like that :D

I sussed the apollo menu after the game. Might try that garfish in a few weeks if we can get a spot, and I think they misspelt "Caesar", could be wrong. Not worth changing anyway.

Bring on the Tiggers, hopefully with Burston to swat Daniel Johnson aka Hinder jnr. all night. He said he was 50/50 after the game.

Reply #252386 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Loving the team's overall balance this year.

Herbert has great basketball IQ - worth having on the court even if he doesn't score IMO.

Lots more respect for Homicide after that performance. Can't believe he was able to score 32 points of layups.

Regardless of where we finish, it's shaping up to be a fun year!

Reply #252392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have a link to a printable boxscore?

I can't see any option from FIBA.

Thanks.

Reply #252393 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Usually it comes up in the resluts/schedule section on nbl.com.au but they're pretty slack. Try tomorrow.

Reply #252394 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

box score is there now.

just click FIBA live stats button, then Adelaide V Townsville Inactive button, then the box score tab.

Reply #252401 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Forgot to ask, who is running the big screen telecast. I'm glad we finally have one, it looks great, but what the hell is the point when whoever is running it hardly ever replays anything??? I'm not going to watch it during the play, I'm watching the court, a big screen is for replays! It's just a pity we're not actually using what was set to be the biggest improvement to the dome of this season.

Reply #252402 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

they do show replays its just not that often, i would just like them to move the old screen to the other side and play both of them so people on my side (new screen corner) can see if without turing our heads. Great game though.

Reply #252417 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Xstatic, agree with your entire post except the part that Townsville are an inferior team. They will win a lot of games this year, and have plenty of championship experience. They are not far different from the aide that finished above us on the table last year, and should not be underestimated. The game would have been a lot closer in the first half if their shots were dropping at a reasonable rate like they did in the second half.

Reply #252422 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

Some game highlites HERE

Reply #252430 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks DJRod, good to see some footage. Homicide had a great pass in there to Roberts. And now that I've heard the commentators on the live stream, I agree with those saying that they are doing well. Keep that up guys and Rivus TV is going to do well methinks!

Reply #252433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754