mattyjam
Years ago

RULE: 3 SECONDS IN THE KEY

Hi All,

Where is and where isn't the key for the 3 second violation? - is above the free throw line part of the keyway?

Topic #21645 | Report this topic

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

No. Why not read the rule book

Reply #257734 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

dang amatuers

Reply #257735 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

help the kid out....

see what a google search can do...

Reply #257737 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Usually, if it the home team, the 3 sec rule doesn't apply

(Refer local bylaws of some stadiums)

Reply #257738 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Spot on Jack - unless you are at Port Adelaide, then it is open slather and depending how many pies and cokes the refs have had (affects their mood)
Hopefully UIC will become active soon.
Before some attack me, go to the Port and experience it yourself!

Reply #257740 | Report this post

mattyjam  
Years ago

fiba rulenbook says- A player shall not remain in the opponents' restricted area for more than three (3)
consecutive seconds while his team is in control of a live ball in the frontcourt and
the game clock is running.
26.1.2 Allowances must be made for a player who:
• Makes an attempt to leave the restricted area.
• Is in the restricted area when he or his team-mate is in the act of shooting and
the ball is leaving or has just left the player's hand(s) on the shot for a field goal.
• Dribbles in the restricted area to shoot for a field goal after having been there
for less than three (3) seconds.
26.1.3 To establish himself outside the restricted area, the player must place both feet on
the floor outside the restricted area.

HOWEVER- where is this restricted area?????

Reply #257741 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

the keyway, free throw downwards

Reply #257742 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

2.2.3 Free-throw lines, restricted areas and free-throw rebound places

The restricted areas shall be the floor areas marked on the playing court, limited by
the endlines, the free-throw lines and the lines which originate at the endlines, their
outer edges being three (3) m from the mid-points of the endlines and terminating at
the outer edge of the free-throw lines. These lines, excluding the endlines, are part
of the restricted area. The inside of the restricted areas may be painted but must be
the same colour as the centre circle.

Reply #257761 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

should make it 5 seconds for spectators, so then for all the idiots that dont know how long 'one second' actually is, they might get it closer to three.

on,tw,thr.... cmon ref 3 seconds!!!!!

Unfortunatley it isnt one of those black and white rules, very much gray.

And all the ref bashers that think refs at some stadiums call or dont make calls for the home team, need to grow another eye.

Reply #257766 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

All refs need to grow another penis.

Reply #257779 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

'The inside of the restricted areas may be painted but must be the same colour as the centre circle'

Interesting, I think the BMC currently breaches this rule with the new green keyways and blue centre circle (although why anyone would care I wouldn't know).

Reply #257800 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

* races in *

I heard someone say 'ref bashing'!

Can I start my Phil Haines rant?

What?

Aw, c'mon!

Reply #257803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does that mean that inside the bottom half of the free throw circle is allowed (to be in for more than 3 secs)?

Reply #257818 | Report this post

Maude  
Years ago

no, from free throw line down is restricted, that means the bottom half of the circle is restricted

Reply #257839 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754