XztatiK
Years ago

NH: AFL National Draft - 26/11/09

Big day tomorrow!

Who are we hoping for? Crows fans on BigFooty are going nuts over Callum Bartlett and I'm no different, if you're going to check out anyone's highlights before the draft make sure it's him first, the kid is nuts. Most Port peeps are hoping for Butcher as their first tall and then a mid like Lucas or Rohan. Here's my mock draft (just a 1st round this year):

1. (MEL) T.Scully
2. (MEL) J.Trengove
3. (RIC) D.Martin
4. (FRE) A.Morabito
5. (NMK) B.Cunnington
6. (SYD) J.Melksham
7. (WCE) L.Jetta
8. (PTA) J.Butcher
9. (PTA) G.Rohan
10. (ESS) K.Lucas
11. (MEL) A.Black
12. (CAR) D.Talia
13. (ADE) C.Bartlett
14. (SYD) K.Stevens
15. (WBD) A.Moore
16. (PTA) L.Tapscott
17. (GEE) B.Sheppard

But here's a more reliable one: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/87451/default.aspx (Linky didn't work, sorry).

I really hope mine is not right because it's very, very kind to Port. I'd rather they end up with Tapscott, Talia and Panos or something.

I'm hoping for a mix of McMillan-Pittard, Menzel, Craig and Buckley with the Crows' later picks.

Topic #21690 | Report this topic

ritz  
Years ago

I'd love to seen Trengove go no.1

Go the mighty hawks

Reply #258370 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Bartlett is coming off a knee recon - big risk?

Reply #258397 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Good to see a couple of basketballers nominating for the draft!

Reply #258402 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not really, would rather that they stayed in basketball.

Reply #258403 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yeah - I'd rather they stayed with b'ball too...

Reply #258412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw an article in the Messenger recently about Peter Hoban considering a switch to SANFL.

Reply #258414 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

This is the issue that basketball, and even cricket is just going to have to face though.

Youngsters will switch from both of those sports to AFL because it is easier to make the elite levels.
Especially with the 2 new teams coming in, there will be extra roster spots to fill, hence raw and unready kids will be put into those spots.

Why hoop, or play cricket for small money when you can get on an AFL list as a fringe player and receive a 2 year gig out of that.

AFL will suffer as well in the short term as players that would not normally be drafted will be, just to fill squads. A few injuries and this 38th player on the list may all of a sudden be getting a game that he normally would not. This then means inferior talent on the field.

The AFL expansion will do more harm than good to a lot of sports at grass roots level IMO.

Reply #258416 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

It's all Neil Craig's fault. Sack him!!

Reply #258424 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

Certainly a big risk Juror. It seems like a Rendell-type of risk, amd the Crows can afford to take one in favor of a mediocre-midfielder with their list. Upside with CB is HUGE!

Reply #258451 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Spot on DB5 .

There are already plenty of players running around in the AFL with below average skill level for an elite competition .

It means there will be around 800 players on lists ( most gettin paid well ) .

Interesting times ahead .

Reply #258458 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Shit.

Talia, Gunston, Shaw and Craig.

Lucky I trust Rendell 100% but still not happy.

Port did extremely well.

Reply #258466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The issue here is not only can young players make the top grade easier and make more money they can earn big money playing in rural leagues.

I am a basketballer who played footy and switched over and over until I chose hoops. When I was 15 I started in the seniors in a country league in a town of 20k. I was paid 80 per game at 15 years old. Then as I got older I received more until one season when I was 20 years old I had a country club, that 99 percent of people on this site won't know of, offer to pay my accomodation costs, find me work and pay m 800 per game. Training was twice a week and gameday, nothing more than that. Now you tell me how we keep youngsters in the current formats.....

Reply #258477 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great post - thanks.

Reply #258501 | Report this post

Years ago

Luke Talia is a great pickup for the Crows. U/18 All-Australian CHB this year. A genuine 6'4" who should be the Crows next great key defender. Quite suprised that Carlton passed on him for Kane Lucas.

As a Collingwood supporter, I'm pleased with how our draft turned out as well. We managed to get Luke Ball, as well as talented speedsters in Ben Sinclair and ex-Demon Simon Buckley, and somehow got highly rated Josh Thomas late in the draft too (and who we were considering with our #30 pick). I'm hoping the Pies give Redlegs forward Matthew Panos a go in the Rookie Draft as well. Quite suprised that he didn't get picked up in the National Draft.

Reply #258717 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

*Daniel* Talia.

Nothing against him as a player, we just have too many young talls already. I'd swap him for Lucas right now, I think that'd work for both teams.

Collingwood obviously gearing up for a premiership shot in '10, Buckley was a great pick I still can't believe the Dees dumped him.

As for the rookie draft, Panos, Dare and Woods are definitely a few to look out for.

Reply #258730 | Report this post

Years ago

You're right, it's Daniel Talia. Not sure why I said Luke.

I think in a couple of years once Talia truly hits his straps (and tall defenders like Bock, Rutten and Stevens are older than they are now), you won't regret picking him. Kane Lucas is just another quick midfielder/HFF with average disposal. Not sure that Carlton needed him, and not sure that the Crows really need him either. Sure, he'll be a good player, but talented key backman like Talia are a rarer and more valueable commodity than Lucas' type.

Reply #258753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754