MELHOOPS
Years ago

Norwood Classic

From the Info. I can gather this years Norwood Tournament is above average.

I think I counted 10 Melbourne teams in the Under 16 Draw and only 3 Adelaide teams. Why don't more Adelaide teams enter?

Topic #2198 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because we would rather not pay the over-blown Norwood prices and pay for their ABA team

Reply #24778 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

It probably comes down to how seriously victorians take their junior sport compared to us. The carnival is over Easter, a time when alot of people go on family vacations. Perhaps SA families would rather spend their easter with family then at a basketbal carnival, regardless of the quality of the carnival.

Reply #24828 | Report this post

hawks fan  
Years ago

Melhoops, can you give us a bit of a run down of some of the melbourne teams that are coming?
especially group A!

Reply #24845 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Where are you from MELHOOPS?

Reply #24846 | Report this post

Michael Humphrys  
Years ago

Melhoops coaches the kilsyth under 16 team. Therefore he is from Victoria. Cant wait to start the tournemant with some very good talent in both pools. Dandenong, Frankston and Keilor are the teams to beat from victoria. Sorry melhoops. Should be a good game on friday carlo. Are your two new bigs playing??

Reply #24847 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

They are Michael, hopefully we will be a bit more competitive than last time? They havent trained much so it will be interesting to see how they go? Michael you might be able to give me some info about the vic teams we are playing? Did you video any of your games over there in eltham?

Reply #24849 | Report this post

Michael Humphrys  
Years ago

I can give you a verbal but did not get video. Did not have the video with me in Eltham. But I'm willing to let you know what I saw. Frankston and Dandenong are much the same. Some tall long players that are athletic. Send me an email (click on my name) so I can let you know who you need to worry about for Dandenong. Saw one of your bigs playing country carnival. Some good raw talent there. Hope he does well for you. but not this week. kidding.

Reply #24851 | Report this post

Michael Humphrys  
Years ago

Thought the link would work.
[email protected]

Send us an email carlo

Reply #24852 | Report this post

sponge bob  
Years ago

the u16 girls look like the classics line up.

32 u16 girls teams is a carnival on its own

I am happy to pay the fees Norwood sets - as long as it is a quality carnival - which it looks like being this year.

I just hope Unley high school stadium is up to it - no the courts - but the score bench equipment.

MELHOOPS - do not forget - 24 second offence in SA - none of this Melbourne business of hanging onto the ball when you are up.

Reply #24859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey melhoops havent heard much about hawthorn what are they like overall as a club (standard wise)

Reply #24887 | Report this post

man on the inside  
Years ago

yes MELHOOPS - how about a bit of a brief on the clubs

ie - we all know about Eltham, Nunawading - but what about Blackburn, Cockburn, Collingwood, Hawthorn

how bigger club are these? do they field teams in most / senior grades?
what are their strong groups?

Reply #24888 | Report this post

The Love.  
Years ago

Melhoops is the Keilor coach, not Kilsyth......I think.

And good to see some Norwood-Sturt love for a change!!

Reply #24901 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Michael,

I actually coach Keilor U/16's, not Kilsyth. So I wont tell you much about my team, except that we're about an inch or too behind Dandenong. I'll give you a bit of a run down, here goes.

Dandenong
Considered No.1 throughout Victoria.
Won 14's Nationals
Won 14's Vic Championships
Made Vic Champinships as Bottom Age 16's
Tall Athletic Defensive team
Fundamentally Sound 1 thru 10

Frankston
Struggled in 14's
Coached very well
Two Bigs are thin and fast and can shot all day
After first 5, they shallow out a bit
More of an offensive team

Eltham
Far from competitive
Two Bigs and a PG and thats about it
One of the bigs is an exception talent

Blackburn
Too Small

Darebin
Struggle with defensive pressure
A couple of Bigs that are pretty handy

Kilsyth
One standout, which should be pretty obvious when you see them
Couple of arrogant gaurds (they get too much much court time)
Not up to the standard of DN, KLR & FR

Waverley
Could be one to watch out for
I haven't seen much of them, but I've heard they're thereabouts

Sandringham
Probably in a similar position to Kilsyth, maybe a touch better.
Capable of a finals appearance

Hope that satisfies, appreciate the same on the SA teams.

MELHOOPS

Reply #24907 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Any info on the girls sides?

Reply #24915 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

C'mon Carlo and Michael. You have to give up some information about the SA teams... :-)

Reply #24928 | Report this post

Michael Humphrys  
Years ago

Well first of all sorry to Melhoops. I think you are the second victorian coach I had down to coaching Kilsyth. Sorry mate. We saw your team over at Eltham. Unfortunately we did not get past NSW metro to get a shot at the main vic teams. As for information about the SA teams, what is there to say. Apart from North you have your top 4 teams in the comp. Should be a very competitive tournament. Once again sorry Melhoops, cant wait to coach against your team and see where my team is at.

Reply #24993 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Michael, that's fine. I don't think you were the only ones who had their tournament ended by NSW metro.
Keilor lost by 4
Sturt lost by 8
Frankston lost by 5
Dandenong lost by 7

On those results, you're right it should be a very competitive tournament. Good Luck and I'll see you in a couple of weeks.

Reply #25041 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Can anyone from Norwood verify how long the draw is away from being released?

Reply #25074 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

for those waiting for the nowood classic draw, read thread... 'norwood draw is out!'

Reply #25263 | Report this post

What about under 18 girls? there is never anything on here about them...... need to hear some more about under 18 girls i think!!!!

Reply #37263 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754