stanley
Years ago

FoxSports commentary

I watched the game last night and thought it was the worst commentary ever and it really doesnt shine a good light on the NBL when Brian Taylor especially gets so many of the basics wrong.

There was so many mistakes made that they should have to make an apology to all basketball fans. Main ones that come to mind is the call that Matt Burston had 5 fouls and that was a huge mistake by the Sixers coaches to leave him out there. WRONG. For most of the second half they went on about how Ng had not missed a 3-pointer all night and when it was pointed out at the end that he was 6-from-7, Taylor claimed how the stats crew must have included his missed free-throw.

It made it very hard to watch and I for one think the AFL callers has been a failure as the weeks have gone on.

I have heard that Steve Carfino is about to start some work for One HD but I hope that Fox can get him back to pick up the train wreck that is happening before our eyes and ears.

Topic #22081 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

I wasn't in the room at the time but I thought I heard BOTH commentators question why Ballinger was given the two free throws after the USF. They figued that Ng was on fire so he should shoot them, and they suggested that maybe they were trying to find Balls some form. Unless the rules have changed in the last few months, I thought that was an obvious cock-up.

Reply #264258 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Dwayne & Andrew are very good. Brian & Shane are terrible (another one that comes to mind is the bagging of Gilchrist for being soft & not finishing off a game, which is hard to do when fouled out.) Dwayne & Carfino would be a good combo. And whenever this topic comes up I think of the greatest NBL commentator ever, RIP Clinton Grybas.

Reply #264271 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Burston confusion might've stemmed from the scoreboard temporarily showing five fouls before reverting to four, I think.

Reply #264273 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Yeah, I was going to say, they said they were going of the scorers bench on the foul calls...

i actually dont mind BT...even Heal doesn't bother me...

you guys gets so pissed about small shit...aleast were getting the games on tv...could be a lot friggin worse...

remember how we nearly didn't have anything!!!!

Reply #264276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

taylor and heal are just so awkward together. when they are standing next to each other, heal's moving his head around and his lips go up and down when hes not talking.

and its so embarrassing when taylor gets in a 'oh boy' fit, it goes like-

"OH BOY!"
"OH BOY, DOCTOR NG"
"DOCTOR N-G WITH ANOTHER THREE"
"OH BOY!"

he will do this every game.

Reply #264277 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

when they are standing next to each other, heal's moving his head around and his lips go up and down when hes not talking.

BT has not quite got the art of puppetry right yet. I am sure his hand position would be correct though.

Reply #264283 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Burston thing was from the scoreboard - if you were listening they actually said that.

As for the Ng threes the one missed/blocked looked very much like a jumpshot/change to pass midair which the foxteam obviously put as a turn over but the game scorebench put as a missed 3.

Sure they are not fantastic and seem to struggle to run off of each other at times but I still prefer the new freshness they bring over the casey, carfino, fill in staleness.

Reply #264287 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

What would Carfino be doing for One HD if he's going there? Hosting College Basketball or something?

Reply #264289 | Report this post

joker  
Years ago

the problem is that taylors arm is not up far enough heals arse to make him talk in tune with his lips

Reply #264298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was cringe-worthy to listen to last night. BT kept asking Heal dumb questions about his olympic career and Aussies overseas when the game was playing. Admittedly, the game wasn't great at times, but BT continually talked over the action. Even at one stage Heal seemed to awkwardly try to get him back on target.

The NBL is struggling enough to get its market share, but with commentary such as this, they will struggle even more to keep "new" viewers.

Reply #264300 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

those questions are pre planned...just chuck them in as need be...

Carfino was no Einstein to say the least..at times painful...Casey was good....needed no scripting which is the way it needed to be...

Clinton Grybus would have seen the game improve out of site also with his excellent work...

Reply #264321 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

I'm not surprised the basketball TV commentary has gone downhill so much with the influx of AFL types & trends. The AFL commentary has been abysmal for years.

But I agree...at least we're getting some telecasts. It's better than nothing. Our solution, increasingly, is to watch telecasts in silence, as shutting off the non-descriptive verbal diarrhoea more than compensates for the loss of crowd atmos.

Reply #264335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BMF, if those questions were preplanned, heal was freaking useless at answering them.

Reply #264352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In Victoria they love BT commentating the NBL, probably cos he is much loved as an AFL commentator.

Reply #264385 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

As annoying as the uneducated questions and comments from BT are, I find him much more enjoyable than the cliches, catchphrases and "top ten" announcements from John Casey.

Reply #264386 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Why do we have guys who weren't players commentate? Remember the cricket all those years ago?

Do Foxxx let old hockey players commentate Australian Football games?

Reply #264426 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Kevin Rudd gives it a crack from time to time..

Reply #264443 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754