Anonymous
Years ago

GC Blaze partying culture

I don't know how these guys are so high up on the ladder. The (Mod: "partying" is probably safer for you) culture at this club is believed to be rampant.

It is the shame because the older guys do the right thing, but I feel the young rat pack are destroying the club's chances of a title this season.

Topic #22189 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe is a nice guy but the way he unequivocally defends players against anything and everything (even the brats) is disappointing because he's become an enabler to bad behaviour.
These guys are pretty much all saints in his eyes and as a manager who is known league-wide for being close to his players he should be steering them in the right direction and using a bit of tough love, not giving them a pat on the head when they treat people badly.
They are learning nothing but apalling habits they will struggle to undo later in life or at other clubs.
Two of the guys mentioned in another thread are really going to struggle to recognise positive people when they come into their lives.

Reply #265981 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

As I asked in the other thread, what is the coach doing about this? If he has imposed a ban on their partying ways and they don't listen, what does he do? Nothing?

Reply #265983 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At this crucial stage of the season, it might be a little late to play hard-ball with players? Calling out Bradshaw in the post-game might've been his first public attempt?

Reply #265986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All that did was make him resentful and spend more time in the company of people who lead him astray and tell him 'his coach is shit'
The current methods are not working.

Reply #265988 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Who cares what they do with their personal life off the court. It's the Gold Coast, of course they're going to hit it up. How high are they on the ladder? Oh yeah ....

Sounds like the same ANONYMOUS individual trying very badly to undermine those in charge at the moment. Sad.

Reply #265989 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

The thread is about their partying ways, not some chick who was supposedly treated badly by some players.

It seems there are no team rules at the Blaze if the late night partying is allowed to take place, That is destined to come back and bite them in the arse. They may challenge for a title this year but it can only go downhill from there until the coach shows some professionalism and leadership.

Reply #265990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undermine those in charge?
Get a clue!

Reply #265991 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

My comments regarding their after hours behaviour was in reference to a comment in the other thread about players going out drinking on game night, or after a ban was imposed, yet noting was done.

If they want to have a bender when it won't interfere with their games then thats up to them.

Reply #265992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mr bEn if you demand that others back up their statements you might need to lead by example?
They might be high on the ladder but they are getting their asses kicked by their coach in the media and are higher on booze and other stuff.

Reply #265996 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Where did Mr Ben demand anyone back up their statements?

Reply #265997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Mr bEn back it up unless you can't

Sounds like the same ANONYMOUS individual trying very badly to undermine those in charge at the moment. Sad.

Reply #266000 | Report this post

aussieboomers4eva  
Years ago

I agree with your last comment TC2, after all, these are adults. Young adults, granted, but adults nonetheless. I would, however take your comments a logical step further in saying that their choice to have a bender should similarly not impact their ability to perform at a high level at team practise sessions. Being hung over during practise not only affects the individual's preparation, but also that of their teammates. Any such behavior should be stamped out without prejudice. Allen Iverson may disagree with me, but I feel he would be in a minority.

Reply #266001 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Yep, agreed with all that.

Reply #266005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben, I don't think they're trying to undermine the coach, more that they think that a few of the players need to take their roles seriously and avoid derailing a championship bid.

Reply #266011 | Report this post

M0PPA  
Years ago

It's things like this which just underline how unprofessional Australian Basketball still is.

2010 and supposed to be a professional league and there is no drug testing or education for it's athletes???

Reply #266015 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is not the only pro sport in Australia (or the world) where this sort of thing happens. However, I agree the Blaze should be taking steps, such as breath testing at training, to sort it out.

Reply #266016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because the players don't care it doesn't mean that they don't have people around them sticking their neck on the line, and even fans who have a smaller level of concern, who are worried.
Someone has to care.

Reply #266017 | Report this post

Joey  
Years ago

Big Joe is weak. I'm not sure if he idolises some of these young guys or if he just doesn't enjoy having to be the bad guy but he definately doesn't resent the boys running around like brats.

Reply #266020 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Is it his responsibility to discipline players, especially if the coach or GM doesn't bother?

Reply #266023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Finally someone agrees with me on that point.
I'm not saying big Joe is a bad person, that's part of the problem he's too nice and just turns a blind eye to things or gets involved in issues players have with their friends and it's not his place.
Players don't have to give a list of all their friends to the club and get it approved, so some people who are having the tough conversations with players are just being branded a problem by guys like Big Joe, and they're not the problem, it's the enablers and the ones who lead these guys astray and discourage contact with good people!

Reply #266024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TC2, if he's friendly with the players, he's probably a good option to speak with them and hope they take it the right way.

Reply #266025 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

I agree with that. I'm just saying this is the second time he gets a mention in this thread and it seems that he is copping the brunt of it. The buck stops with the coach with these sorts of issues.

Reply #266028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Joe lives with Gibbo. Enough said.

Reply #266030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor HAHA has to post as an anno since he lost all credibility in that last thread..

Reply #266032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. That TC2 guy made him look silly. He's cool, and probably handsome too.

Reply #266033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TC2 - yes it does stop with the coach, but maybe the teams manager should show some leadership as well.

Everyone agrees he is a great guy and does his best to keep everyone happy. Im still however not convinced if he is that good a person to have as a public image of a professional sporting team.

Reply #266034 | Report this post

Wheres lunch?  
Years ago

Who knows - maybe Joe is conducting a review of these issues over lunch today with the players in question and also on ways they can better treat women..........

Reply #266035 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

What are they doing wrong to women?

Reply #266037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Surely the buck stops with the players themselves and they are the ones copping the brunt of criticism in these threads?

Reply #266042 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

The thing is, Joey is a great guy and a great coach, but he himself does love the nightlife.

Reply #266049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is still always respectful though and acts appropriately.
TC2 stop big noting yourself and thinking evertone else here finds you as amusing as you do.
Are you bi polar?

Reply #266051 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

What the fuck? Is this forum a joke free zone?

Reply #266052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, it's a joker free zone.

Reply #266057 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

Oh, that's hilarious. You must be so proud of yourself, sniping someone from safety like that, after one joke. Forget the other normal comments I made, just wait until I don't perform to your high standards and then go for the kill.

Reply #266059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't understand the big deal about players going out and drinking until the early hours of the morning, obviously this is unprofessional the night before the match but on any other night they should be free to do as they wish. Now if their performance on the court is not good then I can understand the public and the team not being happy with the rumoured players, but it is a part of the basketball culture around the world to behave like this and it is only now with the internet that it is getting out there so easily. I am not saying this is right but it is how it is. Craig is a good player who is young (only 26) and who should be playing better no question but he will work it out sooner or later or he will be out of professional sports because the league in Australia is not such a hard league to play in unlike leagues in Europe. Craig came through the Tallblacks during an era when they were a great team and he was the young guy on the bench. He benefited greatly from this seeing how they prepare for the game and players at his position like Pero how he was able to out perform better players. The problem with Craig I think is that he has made a little money and he thinks because of this he is much better than what he is. To be honest where and when has he played really well in a professional environment. Best advice for him is to knuckle down and prove himself on his own 2 feet he only has to go to Pero and ask advice or watch how Mika practices and plays and do the same. To blame it on injuries is a cop out every player is always injured with something and if it is so bad dont play then.

Reply #266105 | Report this post

Davidk  
Years ago

Maybe that's why they are playing so well..
loose and full of juice.. lol

Reply #266375 | Report this post

Fan1234  
Years ago

Blaze too ugly too tight and too lowly paid to even dream of pulling women or going all night drinking!
(Aww awrite Bubbles and Gibbo maybe not too tight but...)Big Joes idea of a big splurge is buying himself a triple iced frapiato at Baskin and Robins in Broadbesch and even then only on consecutive paydays!
Must be a Blaze/36ers clutch game coming up for this dribble to be appearing on a SA basketball based forum.

Reply #266410 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754