Liam Flynn
Years ago

Funny Coach Flynn's US Blog

Hi Folks,

I am in the US for a bit of a hoops extravaganza for the next three weeks - Pac 10, NCAA tourney, NBA and High School Hoops.

I'll give you an update here and there about what's going on in the College Hoops world, most specifically on how the Aussies are going over here. As usual, if its not your cup of tea, dont read any further.

Well today (Thurs 10/3) I got off the plane at LAX and went straight to the Staples Centre for the Pac 10 tourney to watch the Arizona Wildcats belt the bejesus out of Cal. The stadium is amazing, but was only half full (about 9000 people) to watch Channing Frye, the senior Centre for the Cats help himself to 20pts on 10 - 11 from the field. This inclded some nasty dunks triggered from the 'Zona late break (including a massive tip jam which was awesome!). The Red & Blue machine look very slick when they get out on the break, and because of their speed a few experts are tipping them to maybe sneak in for one of the four #1 seeds for the NCAA tourney (However they can also get lazy on D for stretches so I dont think they have the horses to knock off an Illinios or UNC over 40 mins). Daniel Dillon, the Bulleen product for the Cats who is used sparingly, played the last 4mins and hit a banking 3 from the deep corner (looked like he bowled a wrongun' from my angle).

Next game was UCLA - Oregon State which was looking like it was going to be a perfect opportunity to curl up in the Staples Centre seats and catch some ZZzs...that was until the 'Beavers' (lost count how many times I pissed myself laughing hearing their chearleaders and their old fans yell so passionatley about their beloved 'Beavers') hit ten first half threes. Then at half time, to cap off what was a great afternoon of hoops, one of the OSU fans sunk a runner from over half court to win a car!!! Not sure what was more hilarious directly after the shot though; the winner using the occasion to cop a massive feal of the three OSU chearleaders who were standing by, or the look on the faces of the Pontiac bean counters who couldnt believe that a guy, who looked like a mixture of Jarrad from the Subway commercials and the 'Shermenator' could sink a shot that far from the hoop.

Anyway Saturday I'll be back for the PAc 10 final, which should see the Cats play Washington and then Sunday back to the Staples for a glimpse of the Clippers taking on the Baby Bulls.

BTW, nearly every college fan at the game today was talking up Bogut big time!

Cheers

Liam

Topic #2221 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For those that don't know, Liam works in the sponsorship area with the Port Power. On this self-funded holiday/research-trip, he's arranged meetings to exchange ideas with representatives of a few NBA clubs and will catch a few NBA games while there. That's initiative for you.

Liam, sounds like you're off to a good start.

Some people here might remember the Arizona Wildcats visiting the Sturt Sabres at Pasadena a while ago. A few of those players are listed as potentials for the next NBA draft.

Reply #25063 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

still remember Will Bynum's (now with Georgia Tech) dunk in that game against sturt, BIG!

Reply #25064 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Speaking of that UA team that was here, does anyone know where Jason Gardiner is playing these day's?

Reply #25065 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

belgium

Reply #25066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Luke Walton from that Wildcats team is obviously now with the Lakers.

Reply #25067 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

have fun Liam, I am waiting for a digital box so I can watch 24 hours of college tournament. Green with envy. An Australian player is playing in Germany, currently injured. Justin Brown who rode the bench for the UConn Huskies is playing for one of the richer clubs- ALBA Berlin.

Reply #25107 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Hi Folks,

Today was another trip to the Staples Centre to meet with the Clippers (corporate Sales Dept) and catch the team's game against the Bulls. Ex 36er guard Rick Brunson starts for the Clippers, and played really well with something like 11pts, 7 rebs and a few assists (against Heinrich, Gordon and Duhon). The atmosphere was awesome, mostly because half the crowd was going for the Bulls! The Clippers staff said that the team is very much playing second fiddle to the Lakers, however, they do still sell out 75% of their games because they offer such great value for money for the average punter.

On the college scene, I saw the Wildcats go down to a tough Washington team in the Pac 10 final yesterday. If you guys thought JJ Redick could shoot (he had a 35pt game that night as well), then check out Salim Stoudamire - 37 points!! The guy has the quickest release I have ever seen...the ball is through the bottom of the net before you can get a hand up. Unfotunatley for the Cats they were too reliant on Salim down the stretch and the Huskies rolled over the top of them for a 7 pt win.

As for the Aussies in the NCAA, big Luke Schenser has been playing really well in the ACC tourney. He and former 'Zona guard Will Bynum (the guy who had the massive baseline cram at Pasadena on the Cats tour of OZ) played huge in their upset of UNC (this cost the Tarheels their #1 seed in the NCAA tourney). Luke had a big block and tip in lay up in the last few minutes to seel the win for the Yellow Jackets. He also had a reasonable game today against Duke in the final. The Dukies, however, just had too many match winners in the night and beat GT for the ACC crown.

Today (Sunday) is a massive day for College Hoops as it is 'Selection SUnday', the day when the 65 teams are selected for the tourney. The best news out of today was that not only is Bogut and the Utes in the tourney (they play UTEP in the first round), but they are drawn to play in Tuscon...the next stop on my US tour! I cant wait to see the big fella work his magic in the McKale Centre. They have had some big discussions on the Wooden Player of the Year on ESPN and it seems the three big names are - Reddick, Stoudamire and Bogut.

Illinios are still the hot favourite to be cutting down the nets in St Louis as NCAA Champions, but Duke and Wake Forest will be around the mark.

Hope all is well back in OZ.

Cheers

Liam

(Mod: Liam, I've made this its own topic as I'm sure there's something of interest in there for everyone. Thanks for keeping us informed.)

Reply #25399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754