Isaac
Years ago

Gibson named NBL Rnd 18 POTW

With starting import guard Ayinde Ubaka out injured, the Blaze asked 'Gibbo' to step up as on-court leader as they faced the surging Tigers. He responded magnificently with a near triple-double performance while guiding the Blaze to a critical 99-91 win in overtime at the Gold Coast Convention Centre.

With the World Championships in his sights, ‘Gibbo’ gave the Boomers selectors something to think about as he took apart the Tigers in scorching fashion. Gibson finished with 15 points, six rebounds and 12 assists in 41 minutes of game time. His all round effort was capped off with one steal and one block. Gibson shot 6-of-17 from the field and did not miss from the foul line hitting two from two.
Kirk Penney (22 and nine in a win) and Julius Hodge (20/7/9 in a 1-1 week) were runner-ups.
Other players in consideration for the weekly award in Round 18 included Adam Ballinger (Adelaide), Mark Worthington (Melbourne), Julius Hodge (Melbourne), Peter Crawford (Townsville), Kevin Braswell (New Zealand), Rolan Roberts (Townsville), Oscar Forman (New Zealand), Erron Maxey (Gold Coast), Russell Hinder (Townsville), Matt Burston (Adelaide) and Brad Williamson (Townsville).
Did they pick the right player?

Topic #22237 | Report this topic

TC2  
Years ago

Anyone that shoots 35% from the field does not deserve to be the POTW.

Reply #266780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, Penney was 7/16 FG and Hodge 11/26.

Reply #266782 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Has anyone got a triple double this year?

Reply #266785 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think so. I think Hodge against Adelaide the other week might've been closest, just needed a couple more boards.

Reply #266789 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Brad Williamson scoring 21 off the bench against Adelaide was impressive. We need to acknowledge the true star performances more so than just the performances of the star players.

I would love to see him in a sixers uniform next year. There are plenty of players who quietly go about their business without alot of attention who should be approached by Adelaide's recruiting staff.

Reply #266791 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Damian Martin I believe was one assist shy a few weeks back on a foxtel game; against Cairns I think it was.

Reply #266793 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So 40 minute games looks like the death of the triple double.

Reply #266798 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I agree with Dazzman, it should have been Williamson.

6/17 FG and POTW, that is horseshit. Also, for whomever it is who is writing these press releases for the NBL, 6 rebounds is not particularly close to 10, so maybe leave off the "near triple double" crap.

Reply #266800 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

What did he get 15/6/12
My best friend and your worst enemy are one and the same and he got 16/7/9 in a one point loss.

Reply #266802 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Camel, if Cortez had made a successful last play and won the game for us, I would agree that he deserved it over Gibson. But given how dismal the Sixer's last 6 minutes were, and particularly that last play, no way anyone on the Sixers should even be on the 'runner-ups' list.

Reply #266807 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw OK.
Tez for the only triple double this season then.

Reply #266813 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Gibson shot 6-of-17 from the field and did not miss from the foul line hitting two from two.

Is that sarcasm?

Reply #266821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women can manage a triple double in 40 mins.. surely the men can!

Reply #266973 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw but Gibson in a sensational effort didn't miss from the foul line ! Getting both in !!

Reply #266975 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

and the runner up was in a lotta pain with a sore wrist, I read also (Boti today)

Reply #267017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:26 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754