Isaac
Years ago

Boti: 36ers supporting Gilchrist through surgery

...the 36ers organisation has rallied around its point guard, allowing him to have his operations and recovery here in Adelaide.

His contract expires next month so the Sixers were under no such obligation.

`That's not how we want to be as an organisation," 36ers chief executive Ben Fitzsimons said. "John was injured while he was an employee of ours and we're supporting him and helping him with his rehab."

Dr Graham Lee, who has been the 36ers' team doctor for 17 years, said Gilchrist's injury was among the most severe he had seen.

"I'd probably see a knee injury of this degree maybe once a year," he said. "It is probably at two-thirds the severity of Trent Henschel's which was about as bad as you can get.

"John ruptured his ACL but also he completely tore the outer back corner of his knee."
Full article: Gilchrist keeps on watching

Topic #22371 | Report this topic

E  
Years ago

I tore my medial ligament and damaged the cartilage on my right knee last night and it f#*@ing hurts! I cant even begin to imagine how gillys knee must feel.

Get Well Soon!

Reply #268419 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Very noble of the sixers for doing that. Glad they are doing it too. last thing i want us being known for is treating players like by holding them to their contract and thats it. Good work SOS. All the best for a speedy recovery Gilly!

Reply #268420 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

"treating player like crap" i meant to say.

Reply #268421 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Good on Saw Woos for lending him a hand too!

Reply #268426 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Glad that we are supporting him. He looked pretty worried siting on the sidelines at Ng's 150th game.

This also sends a good message to future imports for the sixers and the NBL.

Reply #268429 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Yeah, being on your own, injured, in a foreign country would be terrible, glad to hear people have been helping out.

Reply #268433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He was all smiles at the MVP dinner despite hobbling around on the crutches. Seemed to be dealing with it very positively which you have to admire.

Reply #268437 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

Had Judas been to see him yet?
Sorry, I just could not let the opportunity go by for 1 more cheap shot in retaliation.

Reply #268457 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well done SOS its the decent thing for any organisation to do and it does send the right message to the league and its players about the Sixers ownership.

Hope you make a full recovery Gizmo!

Reply #268466 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Again SOS show themselves to be a quality organisation, as mentioned by others this reflects well for future negotiations with imports and palyers in general.

All the best Gilly

Reply #268496 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

McKee is getting similarly treated in Wollongong, because they want him back. Is there an expectation on 36ers part that Gilchrist is also wanted? If not, then hats off to SOS for doing the right thing.

Reply #268624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SOS are doing the right thing, can imagine going through the rehab in the American medical system

Reply #268632 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

hanging around, Judas was spotted after his first initial consult but hasnt been back since. Bte his facebook or twitter page says other things.

Reply #269078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason Gilchrist is still in Adelaide is his health insurance expenses will not be covered overseas

Reply #269091 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Update from Facebook:

Judas is scheduled to give John a sponge bath on Friday, while 36ers 'teammates' have been sending him hate-mail.

Reply #269096 | Report this post

bear  
Years ago

I would have thought that as an employee in Australia he has a right to Workcover health insurance for his injury, or at least equivalent cover from the club, unless he is treated as a contractor.

Reply #269100 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754