Anonymous
Years ago

ABL Round 1 results and discussion

Winners of rnd 1 please

Topic #22525 | Report this topic

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

Anonymous you are exceedingly lazy. Check the CABL website. Late night's results were posted before 11.00pm

Reply #270674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be some discussion to be had though. Surprise performances from teams or individuals?
I didnt make it out to see any games this weekend but a few shocks when reading the results on Sportingpulse.
Any thoughts or comments from those who actually attended the games?

Reply #270757 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't get to any games, but heard that Sturt were without Holmes and M Ng and so started four under 20s. That led to South fans chanting about them being under 10s. Haha.

Reply #270786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh! How would you feel being beaten at ABL level against an Under 10 team? Perhaps South should pull out now then.

Reply #270791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 others on the bench as well, who are bottom age Under 20. One of these played significant minutes and scored double figures.

Reply #270794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And is a West Adelaide junior.

Darren Ng beat South Adelaide on Saturday night, and is a Woodville Junior.

And South was lead by a Victorian so I'm not suggesting they're any better. Just showing that despite the hype and good results only 2 of the Under 20s who contributed on Saturday are Sturt juniors and Ng won the game, not the Under 20s.

Reply #270795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warbout Under 10s, Daly Under 10s, Marriott Under 10s, Owen-Thomas from Norwood in Under 12s, Maynard from Melbourne in Under 18s, Spehr from West in Under 18s. Let Spehr go buddy, if he wasn't recruited over two years ago at ABL level he would still be with you. Sturt has no overseas imports and replaced its off season retirements solely from its Under 18 ranks. More clubs should do the same and not be so reckless with money which is by and large collected from junior subscriptions.

Reply #270796 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Off season retirements??? Who Dave Bowley? Who else?
But you are right though, why spend on overseas players when you can spend on local NBL players! Please don't try and tell me that both Holmes and Ng aren't getting paid, you are simply regurgitating the crap your club comes out with!
It's clear that by having State coaches that it helps when recruiting younger kids like Maynard, Spehr and others. To say the coaches don't poach is naive...

(Mod: Removed at request of both clubs involved.)

Reply #270798 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Looking at the stats I noticed the American for Forestville had another big game, he must be a quality player, Puds was right!
The American for Woodville had a solid game as well, especially getting 6 blocks! I thought he was a shooting guard!

Reply #270799 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Isaac,

The "Under 10" chant comes from the Panther Army and is "awarded" to any ABL PLayer who makes a real basic error on the court. In Saturday's case I am pretty sure it when one of the two guards (can't remember if it was Daly or Maynard) was called for double dribble. Then when Braham (?) walked back over the base line after having the ball passed into him, I think he copped it a bit as well.

Reply #270802 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #270815 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Other retirements, by the way, were Hakendorf and Vaughan. Here is the outgoing list from Boti:

GONE: David Bowley (ret), Keegan Brooksby, Matt Hunt (Woodville), Claybrin McMath (US college), Mark Paget (Southern), Daniel Peacock (South Adelaide), Mitch Simmons, Nathan Vaughan (ret), Marcus Hakendorf (ret).
And the list of incoming players into the squad:
NEW: Max Calligeros (jr), Nathan Kareta (jr), John Marriott (jr), Josh Owen-Thomas (jr), Jay Pozniak (jr), Nathan Spehr (jr), James Spurritt (jr), Blake Sutherland (jr).

Reply #270816 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

Player = owned.

Hating against the evil empire is the reason people like you and your club will never get anywhere.

Reply #270822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simmons retired?? is he injured? hes like 20

Reply #270824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Simmons has gone to West

Reply #270841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals have some young kids aswell, scott rose, ky oliva and not sure what happened to dave humphreys

Reply #270843 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

dave humphreys is injured will be back in a few weeks

Reply #270847 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

To start with i am NOT from sturt. Most of the u/20 that are in the sturts abl team will do well, Yes some of the boys do come from other clubs but so what lots of players swap clubs. What about the sturt players that have gone to other clubs Doyle,Dodman,and im sure thier is others thats life get over it. Some players will never move clubs and I say good on them but others will and thats up to them and if you realy want to talk about Spher he started at torrens valley before he was at west...........

Reply #270849 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

As long as the poaching continues, there will always be talk. It's not exactly a pink elephant sitting in the corner. I know it happens so i'm not going to shy away from it.
I think it will be a challenging year for the Sturt kids, but they have two of the greatest junior coaches in Scott and Liam there to guide them and with senior players like Darren and Jacob to guide the ship they should be up there again come finals time.
As for the Panthers, well they looked a lot better than last season and ran the ball well. Besides about 8 minutes across the end of the second and the start of the third they outscored the Sabres. But simple errors and dumb plays hurt them and guys like Darren capitalized on it and made them pay.

Reply #270875 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Does anyone know why North were without Kersten and Mapunda?

Reply #270877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kersten wont be playing for north until he gets a job down here hes working in pirie atm is what ive been told

Reply #270883 | Report this post

Player23  
Years ago

Is that where he is originally from?

Reply #270889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Player23. Very easy to misread your comment about Darren when it was accompanied by all the usual interclub sniping everyone in SA basketball can't grow out of. Thanks for clarifying.

Reply #270893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

enjoythegame,

You raised a good point - some kids remain loyal to the club with whom they started. Some of these kids are capable and at times do get approached to play at so called "better"clubs but decline.

Now these kids are getting frustrated as long time team mates jump ship. They are obviously allowed to but in all this discussion about "recruiting" and the like no-one considers the players who remain loyal and are now getting fed up as their team gets decimated. Kids are leaving the game, not just the club, because of this. The impact on a team of losing a couple of very good players is so much more than that compared to football or soccer.

Now what this means is that the team which loses a player gets weaker, the competition gets more uneven, the stronger clubs get on their high horses about the lack of effort of the weaker clubs and then the remaining strong loyal players leave the game rather than switch clubs just exacerbating the issue. I suspect I won't need to bother much about all of this crap shortly as I sense my child will also pull the plug on playing basketball.

Now we have people complaining about money going to netball and soccer etc. No wonder why - Netball is a larger sport and is better managed. Basketball have had their support from the government in the past - I wouldn't put good money after bad money into basketball when I see it becoming even more of a minority sport.

Reply #270902 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

my son was approach by more than one club since u/14s but has never left the club hes at and thats up to him, he enjoys basketball and dare say he will always stay where he is. Why make one super team? you wont get any better playing against weaker teams in fact i think you get better playing against better teams. yes some players will leave to go to a stronger club but in the long run they are not always happy and the grass is not always greener, And you dont have to always go to a super club to make state or sasi if you are good enough and put the effort in you will be looked at.....

Reply #270926 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

hahaha Mitch Simmons has gone to West!! If he were any more blue he would be a Smurf!!

Reply #270935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with you ss. I don't want to point the finger as probably every club do it - some just more blantantly than others. But this means we are getting bigger gaps between teams - it is like a catch 22 situation. What I worry about is that my child will end up hating the game as after each game he is frustrated by the falling skill base of the team. It is due to people leaving the team for various reasons.

I won't let that happen to my youngest - he likes both basketball and football and it is his choice but I will be speaking more positively about football than basketball. Clubs say they have a responsibility for their club to improve but I say they also have a responsibility for the overall competition to improve. Unless the competition grows and improves then their club objective will not be realised

Reply #270936 | Report this post

hanging round  
Years ago

I just love this forum!
The 'original' poster asked "Who won in ABA Round 1", got abused for being lazy, recieved very few replies about the first round, and now we have gone off on various tangents.

Reply #270940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:03 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754