Jack Toft
Years ago

R2&3 ABL Action

Hoochie Mumma! Double Header round this weekend.
SAT
Rockets-Mavs @ Hillcrest
Norwood-South @ MARS
Sturt-Tigers @ Pasadena
West-Eagles @ Port
Woodies-Lions @ St Clair

SUN
Mavs-Tigers @ Mt Barker
Sturt-Flames @ Pasadena
Eagles-Rockets @ Wayville
Lions-Cats @ Starplex
South-Woodies @ Marion

An exciting weekend for ABL fans. If your team is 0-3 on Sunday night, it could be a long season ahead.

Rockets-Mavs
Women: Mavs pushed Westies last week and I was wrong to suggest sending Sam to the shower at half time. Still think the Rockettes will get up even though they just got over the line against Tigers.
Men: Stats say JD only got 4 RBs last week. He should be getting twice that per game and should against the Rockets, but home court advantage should swing the game to the Rockets. Mavs unlucky in the tin shed.

Norwood-South
Women: Unfortunately for South, Flames will burn them.
Men: Not even tipping any games against Norwood men this season.

Sturt-Tigers
Women: Could be closer than people think, but Sturt are all class.
Men: The result of good junior development showed last week. Hard to see them drop a game at home.

West-Eagles
Game of the round in both Mens and Womens
Women: No early showers for either team this game. Eagles may get an upset win, but I think Westies will prevail.
Men: A "lazy" 33 points to Riley last round. Davidson showed why he should have been playing for the Sixers in lieu of others and Molly showed us why he should be got more court time. Eagles will find it harder this week, but Westies should go 2-0.

Woodville-Centrals
Women: The loser of this game has one hand on the wooden spoon. 42 turnovers from the Lionesses last week due to the pressure from the Flames. Woodville were easily accounted for. Hard to call, but my kiss of death goes to the Lions. Plenty of celebrating by the winning team.
Men: Lions did not play badly, Flames played very goodly and got the jump on them. Could go either way. Woodville should prevail at home, but Lions with depth.

SUNDAY
Mavs-Tigers
Mavs to forfeit? (just stirring...) (refer U18 thread for those living in a cave)
Women: 50:50. Leaning towards a hungrier Mavs team.
Men: The Mountain Men should out rebound Tigers. Still a 50:50.

Sturt-Flames
GAME OF THE ROUND
Women: Flames have too much firepower IMO.
Men: I know I wasn't going to tip against Norwood, and Sturt should prevail. Bugger it, even without the "Chrome domes", Norwood by 1.

Eagles-Rockets
Women: Eagles all the way.
Men: another 50:50 game - leaning towards Eagles.

Lions-Westies
Women: Even after a win the night before, hard to see the Lioness getting close. Westies by 50 in a forth qtr blowout.
Men: Westies could be tired after a tight one, Lions could be smiling at the start after a win against Woodies. New dad Davo is used to wiping at the moment and could be wiping smiles of the Lions faces.

Panthers-Woodville
Women: South should account for Woodies at home.
Men: IMO, another 50:50. South not playing too badly. Woodies men could be lucky and be 2-0, more likely to be 0-2 after the weekend. If South men don't win this game, they are likely to be 0-3 at the end of round 3.

There's my tips. Avago!

Topic #22550 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davidson noy playing both games on the weekend Jack, may want to rethink those tips!

Reply #271181 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yes, that could make a difference to results. Eagles might just have too much firepower, and that absence certainly makes Lions chances better on Sunday.

BTW, congratulations to him. There hasn't been a topic posted, but I guess everyone knows he became a dad again just recently.

Reply #271184 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Mavs vs. tigers could just as easily be game of the round.

Both Games will be close, tipping this weekend is a nightmare.

Women Saturday:

Rockets
Norwood
Sturt
Eagles
Woodies

Women Sunday:

Mavs
Flames
Eagles
Bearcats
South

That puts Southern 0-3 perhaps not, but will be close on Sunday

Reply #271235 | Report this post

My thoughts  
Years ago

My tip for the women's games:

Rockets-Mavs
Rockets to take off after a close first half to win easily in the end

Norwood-South
Flames will absolutely torch the Panthers

Sturt-Tigers
Tigers to win this one in a close one

West-Eagles
The Eagles team will beat the individual West girls

Woodville-Centrals
My pick is Woodville by 20+

SUNDAY
Mavs-Tigers
Could go either way but home court advantage may help the Mavs team get their first win of the year.

Sturt-Flames
Flames will finish the weekend torching two teams

Eagles-Rockets
Eagles in a tough and very physical encounter

Lions-Westies
Tough one but I think West will get the W.

Panthers-Woodville
Woodville to make it 2-0 for the weekend and pip South at the post.

Reply #271245 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A few close games in the women's league.
The ladder might look like this Sun night:

Norwood 3-0
Eagles 3-0 or 2-1
Sturt 2-1 or 1-2
West 2-1 or 3-0
North 2-1
Mavs 1-2
Tigers 1-2 or 0-3
South 1-2 or 0-3
Lions 1-2 or 0-3
Wood 2-1 to 0-3

Reply #271261 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Great preview Jack!

My tips for the weekend are:
SATURDAY
Rockets v Mavs @ Hillcrest
Think that the Mavs women can make this a close one, but the Rockets women to win by < 6.
Rockets men should take a comfortable win. Look for Dodman to have a bigger impact this game, but still Rockets to get a sweep and win the men's game by 11.

Flames v Panthers @ MARS
Should be an easy night for the Flames, and I expect them to sweep both games comfortably. Having seen the Flames first hand, if they can play with the defensive pressure they showed against Centrals and shoot the lights out again, expect to see a blowout.

Sabres v Tigers @ Pasadena
Sturt should win sweep this one as well. I'm still deciding between heading to this game or the next one, so I'm hoping if I choose this one it is a great contest. Sabres women by 6, men by 16.

Bearcats v Eagles @ Port
Should be Game of the Night in my opinion. Both games should be great entertainment and too close to call. If I had to make a tip, I would go with Bearcats women by 4 and Eagles men in a single possession game.

Warriors v Lions @ St Clair
I think the womens game will be a battle of the bottom dwellers, with the Lions women taking this game by 3+
If Centrals men can play with some intensity and a commitment to defense then they should take a double digit win.

SUNDAY
Mavs v Tigers @ Mt Barker
Both womens teams coming off tough losses in round 1 and I am tipping them both to lose on saturday. Mavs women were able to push the Bearcats to OT, while the Tigers just lost to the Rockets. I'm guessing that Mavs women will take this in a close one.
Men's game should be a good one, I think that the Mavs might take this one by between 3-8 points.

Sabres v Flames @ Pasadena
Definitely heading out to this game, both should be pretty intense even for this early in the season. Women's game to be close but I think the Flames will have the depth to take the win, Flames by 3.
In a rematch of the last Grand Final, the Sturt men will be looking for a bit of revenge. An intense contest will be on the cards, with Sturt out to prove they are #1. I'm thinking the Flames will just go down, with the missing Krause and Cooper to be a big reason for it. Sturt by 1 (Unless the Flames rain three's early like they did against Centrals)

Eagles v Rockets @ Wayville
I'm thinking the Eagles women will use the home court advantage to take a win by about 6 or so.
Rockets might struggle with this one as I think the Eagles have too many weapons for the Rockets to handle. Eagles by 11.

Lions v Bearcats @ Starplex
Bearcats women to absolutely dominate the Lions through sheer depth and a relentless defense that will force mistakes. Bearcats by 20+
The men's game would be a good one to watch, with the Lions having the potential to cause some serious upsets this season. The absence of Brad Davidson might be the difference in this game, I'm tipping the upset, Centrals by 8.

Panthers v Warriors @ Marion
South women to take a comfortable win here, Warriors women in for a long season IMO. South by 13.
Men's game should be good, haven't seen much of the two of them, but from what I have heard I am thinking the Panthers will be too strong. Panthers by 8.

Reply #271289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mavs girls win by 2 and underestimated again

Reply #271350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the other results? The live stats links don't seem to be working for most games.

Reply #271352 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mavs are officially the smokey in the womens.

Reply #271353 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Sturt women pulled out a 4 point win (55 - 51) in one of the scrappiest games I have seen in a long time.
Sturt men were upset by the Tigers, also lost by 4 (not sure on final scores), but it was quite an entertaining game to watch.

Reply #271354 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Looks like the Warriors men out-rebounded the Lions.

Woodies women won by 2, Lioness's won the turnovers 36 to 28.

Reply #271357 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I suppose you could say the Tigers men were "goodenough"

Reply #271358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goodenough is a homo, what you want to credit a bench warmer for the win.

Reply #271359 | Report this post

teste  
Years ago

Simply a play on words little man, take a deep breath and go to bed.

oh btw,

Joel guarded Daly most of the night, check Daly's output for the night....a big reason they got the win.

Reply #271360 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I glad someone has the intelligence to see the play on words

Reply #271370 | Report this post

ss  
Years ago

No bragging today how the u/20 sturt boys won the game......

Reply #271377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Boal also had 27 points so don't discredit his influence on the game. Was also surprised to see south only go down by 6 to norwood too! It's great to see a healthy competitive abl mens comp!

Reply #271378 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

mavs women beat southern, good weekend for them ecspecially without both young guns wilson and talbot. Madgen completley dominated.

Reply #271387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mavs women are not smokey, they have game and should make finals

Reply #271389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mavs men destroyed southern by 22

Reply #271393 | Report this post

nanagobana  
Years ago

Mavs a smokey - no way! I would love to take bets on how long til that team self destructs.

Reply #271399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like madgen self destructed today?

Reply #271401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait until Mavs have their full womens squad available, haven't had a full squad in the first 3 rounds. If being stronger = self destruct you may be on to something nanagobana. But there is a queue from mt barker to murray bridge wanting to place bets!

Reply #271408 | Report this post

Years ago

Agreed nanagobana - too many bad eggs on that team for them not to self-destruct!

Reply #271413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i guess we will see. I think Mavs had a great weekend so good for them. I think that could be the one of the first times mavs women have beat north? or two games on one weekend. The womens league, with so many exciting close games, looks like its going to be an interesting season!

Reply #271417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess Madgen is the best player i've seen come through in a long time - that girl can play!!!! Awesome to watch!

Reply #271444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen will keep mavs up and firing, no self destructing

Reply #271450 | Report this post

buzaaay  
Years ago

i'm with Nano on this one. Madgen may be the best thing that Mavs have seen in years, and she'll probably have a super season. but the combination of coach and a few of the senior players in that team, they won't get anywhere near the top 4.

Reply #271469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have defended their way into equal top against numerous predictions. (see Jack predicting maybe 1-2)

Considering West and North are struggling. And with some notables coming back, looks like a Forestville/Sturt final already again this year.

Reply #271474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt did have quite abit of help from the refs against Norwood and Southern was one of the scrappiest mathes ive seen in a long time

Reply #271491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain the Sturt Coach will agree with that comment about the refs help as didn't he get toss out of the stadium.

Reply #271513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was in the mens game. Not the womens.

Reply #271515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mavs women played with alot of desperation i thin u will find they are going to be a tighter team with the bitches retiring or moving clubs and shooting hell of a lot of bricks sunday

Reply #271529 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

5 anons is a row - and it's not a juniors thread - Is this a record Isaac?

Reply #271531 | Report this post

Years ago

Anon 271529, I think you will find senior bitches remain at Eastern shooting "a hell of a lot of bricks" ... mostly on lay-ups. Actually, is it a brick when it doesn't hit backboard??

Reply #271565 | Report this post

04, think what you want and say what you want, but Mavs are 2-1... Winners are grinners, and North and Southern don't have much to grin about after the weekend.

buzaay, they are 5th at the moment, and won both games on the weekend without Wilson and Talbot...

How about you haters find something positive to say about your own teams, rather than hate mine, or is that too challenging a task?

BTW, who is or WAS your team? Eastern by any chance?

Reply #271730 | Report this post

filthy mexican  
Years ago

I think it is great that Eastern is playing so well, lots of nice girls in that team... however this thread is turning into a centrals type thread... keep putting those wins on the boards ladies, but stop talking up the wins... do your talking on the scoreboard, not a message board.
Dont give the negative people something to talk about if you hit a bad patch.

Reply #271741 | Report this post

I love the snipers on Hoops, but only the ones who are honest enuff to put a name to their posts.

I've said my piece, and thanks for the support Filthy.

Rough patches..? The way they played Sat night has me thinking the Eastern girls have moved on from past seasons.

Peace out.

Reply #271746 | Report this post

nanagobana  
Years ago

Nostradamus' Med.Oblong, i have never played for Mavs, but surely you're aware that it's not hard to get some insight into other teams, particularly when it's gossip - we're girls!

and if this forum didn't want people to post anonomously, it wouldn't let them.

and generally when people 'say there piece' it means they aren't going to make a statement on the issue in the next sentence. but that's just nitpicking.

bring on the rest of the season.

i've said my piece.

Reply #271829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754