??????
Years ago

Lets Help Lions Women

Looking at the first 2 rounds its agreed that the Lions Women are in for a long season so as avid readers of the HoopsSA forum let all put our heads together and help this team.

I see from a previous posts that they have only 11 registrar players I believe out of the 11 one is 14 and 3 are 15 years old.

Is there other female players that are not playing or playing lower divisions that could help this team. Can anyone suggest how Glenn Shaw the Coach recruits more personnel? I am sure they would have salary cap space for the right player/s. Please keep comments constructive bagging them is easy, helping them requires a little more thought.

The Central Conference is the only one that has both Men and Women Teams and I believe if you don't have one the other can't play. So as a basketball community as HoopsSA is and all the great basketball minds that read this forum let try and do something and help a struggling team. You never know if we help this team yours could be next.

Topic #2262 | Report this topic

if you were to put training times up. there might be a little lady who i could drag along.

Reply #25511 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Na, lets not help, couldn't be bothered any way

Reply #25513 | Report this post

??????  
Years ago

For all information you can contact Glenn Shaw on 8522 0650.

Reply #25514 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Being serious,

Could you give us forum users some coaching information on Glenn Shaw? Who and what age groups have he coached before and has he had any success at senior level. I am looking at playing again but do not want to committee myself to a club what hasn't any potential (not talking finals, but just a bit of a chance to improve over the season) thanks

Reply #25515 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

first i dout there is any money in the kittie
second he had the opurtuity to improve that squad and chose not to north told him he can aproch any u/21 players because they wouldnt get much of a chance to play aba for them he knocked it back saying he didnt feel it was right to poach other juniors.... and that is fact

Reply #25517 | Report this post

sweetfx  
Years ago

From what I have seen of the Centrals women's coach he is the coach they've been looking for. He is intense with the girs, which I think they needed 3 years ago... they have potential, it will take a lot of hard work and dedication from Glenn but it is evident he is prepared to put in all the hard work needed. I think what Centrals women need is some on-court guidence, perhaps a player or two with ABA experience, a vetran of some sort. Re: Croquet_anyone's last comment if you are looking to make a comeback to basketball well give Centrals a go - like I said Glenn is the coach Centrals need, he's organised, committed and determined and from what I have seen of the group, they are good girls who just need a little push in the right direction - Croquet_anyone do you think you are that player they are looking for? I suppose the only downside is that there home stadium is 500 miles away (well not quite, but Gawler isnt around the corner for most people)

Reply #25519 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Croquet_anyone
at 2.48pm you posted "Na, lets not help, couldn't be bothered any way"
at 3.15 you posted "I am looking at playing again but do not want to committee myself to a club what hasn't any potential (not talking finals, but just a bit of a chance to improve over the season) thanks"
you also said "Being serious," are you?????

Reply #25521 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Lets give the girls time, but i agree that the stadium is a little far out the way.
Centrals home stadium used to be the Gardens Rec Centre,this stadium is a million times better then alot of the other district stadiums.
I think trouble with the council forced them to Elizabeth and then to Gawler.
Best of luck girls!

Reply #25522 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Kingman,

First post was a very poor attempt at humour, like it or not some people just like to take the you know what. Then I had a thought about it and wanted some answers, don't want to play if I may quit in 3 or 4 weeks because the side has no direction or structure to the program and I just get frustrated.

Am I serious? The fire is starting to burn again and would like to see if I can still compete at a reasonable level of competition.

Star plex isn't that far BF used to go to Trinity College, back in the day

Reply #25528 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Hey Croquet_anyone good onya at least someone is willing to have a go most of the Lions girls are doing just that good luck to you. let us know how you go.

Reply #25532 | Report this post

Croquet_anyone  
Years ago

Do you have a vested interest in the club (or your partner plays assuming you're a male)

I still have a lot of things to weight up and then see how my body feels

Stay tuned

Reply #25534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a non centrals person who has had the opportunity to see a lot of them over the past few years the women are the best they have been for years.

I saw them play over the club financial tournament and again against norwood.

there has been marked improvement in attitude and skill level. yes they will still get whipped by some teams but on saturday night they were in the mix it wasn't an ugly game to watch. not a oh no here goes another centrals turn over and norwood fast break.

There was a time they struggled to shoot more than scores of 6 in a quarter.

They will push a few teams this year and although many may pencil in the win they will know they will (unless it is north, forestville, sturt) have to work hard to earn the premiership points.

Glenn has the girls playing well and they appear composed and their skill level has vastly improved and they are still a very young team.

croquet anyone if you live that side of town and starplex isn't a two motel stay trip to training i'd give the Lions a go.

Reply #25538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Croquet_anyone, Training is 830 am sunday, Come on down, there will be a few newies out, its just a shoot around. We have dragged a few girls out of retirement and one out of the pub, so if you are thinking about it, stop thinking and put your ass into action!

Reply #25540 | Report this post

snoop dog  
Years ago

just work on the juniors and set a 3-5 year plan - the u14s are doing well.

there is a big populus between gawler and hillcrest / dome / port adelaide - where do all teh social / school basketballers go.

make some good offers to strong clubs div 2/3 players - that is allowed a certain times

Reply #25675 | Report this post

Badger  
Years ago

Croquet anyone---you wanted some info on Glenn...I can tell you from experience that if you are serious about this you won't be let down. Glenn was one of my coaches for 5 years at university in Canada. He is one of the most dedicated coaches I have ever had. If you want to play for someone who takes a genuine interest in his players, who will do everything in his power to help you to improve, who wants nothing more of his players than to work their hardest and to strive to be a team in every sense of the word...then you should definately get in contact with him.

Reply #25770 | Report this post

Glenn S  
Years ago

Thanks for the support #6 you have always been my favorite

Just out of curiosity where are you people getting your information from?

- error - We have 12 listed players
- error - I was advised about north's player situation (however I was told it was their reserves team) and spoke to some players and they apparently want to sit on the bench of a winning team as opposed to changing to a struggling team
- truth - I dont agree with poaching juniors (i would hope other coaches would discourage this as well)
- I am happy with the progression of my players and they will continue to have my full support
- I will not add any walk-on to my roster without a legitimate trial of some sort
- I believe that in order to be successful the team cannot trade the future of the program for 1 or 2 wins and a legitimate shot at mediocrity. I am here for the long haul and I will not buy or generate any wins without a clear conscience or moral sacrifice
- Although the stadium is "500 miles away" we only train at STARplex once a week
- I am more than happy to talk to anyone about basketball at anytime playing or otherwise but instead of going on these open forums give me a call, I am not that hard to track down

Reply #25791 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

this weekend will be as good as any for the Lionesses to make their mark - southern women have not impressed me much so far and centrals girls can leave it on the court

Reply #25848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754