lukn4atitle
Years ago

36ers sign Rhys Carter

Carter 26 and 190cm playmaking guard will be a welcome but much anticipated addition to the team.

Topic #22962 | Report this topic

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

Is that a fact? When he was asked he souned very happy in Europe.

Reply #277106 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Boti has confirmed the signing in todays Tiser

Reply #277108 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well boti would know wouldnt he

Reply #277109 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

When is this signing going to be confirmed by the sixers or the NBL?

Reply #277112 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Rhys will definitely be a good addition to the Sixers. the team is starting to really get its backbone now.

Reply #277114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG: *Import*/Carter
SG: Herbert/Ng
SF: *Import*/Hill
PF: Ballinger/Holmes
C: Johnson/Dowdell

Reply #277116 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I am excited with new coach and this signing solid but our list pales in comparision to Perth ,Blaze and Tigers. Going need damn good imports to beat them

Reply #277117 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ Seems most likely.

But, just for something left field, we could go:

PG: *Import*/Carter
SG: Herbert/Ng
SF: Holmes/ Hill
PF: Ballinger/Dowdell
C: *Import*/Johnson

Damn near impossible to find good imports at the 5 though.

Reply #277118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I promise you there is no way that you will get a 5 man import and if you do he will be a role player from the bench. Johnson will be your starter for the upcoming season.

Reply #277119 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Finally we will have some serious husstlers on the court. carter and herbie should work well together and we may even play some solid D.

Davidson has been our only serious husstler in recent years..

Reply #277120 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The other possibility, though I dont think it will happen, is to get a strong import 4 who can make an impact inside. He would have to be a real force though, so he could cover the paint while Ballinger exploited centres away from the hoop:

Ballinger, import, Hill, Herbert, import
Johnson, Dowdell, Holmes, Ng, Carter

Reply #277121 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

I think anon's listing is spot on - the clubs already come out and said they're looking for imports in the 1 & 3 spots.

Reply #277122 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good signing. But need a backup big man at the 4/5 spot.

Reply #277123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon Perth have taken a step back. Brought in Trueman, Tovey and Knight for Schenscher, Cattalini and Young.

Blaze have taken a bit of a risk with Rickert (who NZ didn't seem overly fussed to lose) and Davison. And it's pretty early to make a call on Melbourne, especially with a hothead import and a possible plan to run Tragardh sometimes at SF (if that's true).

No major back-up coming at 4/5 LC. That frontcourt is set at Ballinger, Holmes, Johnson, Dowdell unless the SF import can play some PF.

Reply #277125 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Can't be true. Anon in the previous thread confirmed it was an import.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with that signing. Been a fan of his since I saw him compete in the Dunk Comp a few years back.

Reply #277126 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's Boti's article:

Carter, whose paperwork with Adelaide is not yet fully finalised, also is looking forward to a season in the sun after a European winter.

"I have never spent much time in Adelaide, but nice beaches, nice weather and nice people sounds pretty good to me," he said.

Alongside championship teammate Herbert and former Dragon Holmes, Carter brings a requisite toughness sure to quickly make him an Adelaide fan favourite.

Reply #277128 | Report this post

The Banker  
Years ago

This is a gd signing for Adelaide

and after adding an import we will have a good rotation in the backcourt

Reply #277130 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Despite giving Bruce the nod over Carter in a previous post (just personal preference) I am happy with this signing and given the current personnel probably a better signing than Bruce.

Carter is more accepting of a role and a defender with a reliable shot so should be able to come off the bench and have an impact defensively and keep the offense spread.

I think if things go according to Marty's plans you might see a line up like this;

C - Johnson/Dowdell
PF - Ballinger/Holmes
SF - Import/Herbert
SG - Hill/Ng
PG - Import/Carter

Lets just hope Hill can perform to the level he is capable of and repay Marty's faith!! Imagine the Hill in the above line up that scored 30+ in New Zealand in the finals 2 seasons ago.....I might even call it early and nominate Hill for Most Improved (fingers crossed)!!

Reply #277132 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good to see the Sixers have all their locals locked up well ahead of schedule. Hopefully that will lead to a better pre-season than last year, when the club was literally more concerned about whether it would exist, than what team it was going to put on the floor!

Looking at Carter's career NBL figures, we shouldn't expect too much from him, but people on here generally sound positive. He seems tall for a PG, which is nice. What are his best skills? Is he outstanding in any area, or just a solid all-rounder? Can we rely on him to hit the 3? Is he quick compared to other PG's?

Reply #277134 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tornado, swap Hill and Herbert in that starting lineup I think.

Unless our imports are gun defenders, we would not stop anyone scoring!

Plus Ng would be the only scorer off the bench.

Reply #277137 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #277142 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Nice video, i really like this signing!!! As everyone has said, all we need now are some solid imports and we're rollin....

Reply #277147 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, looks like a nice player. We could definitely us his on-ball defence. Who were those two Tigers guards he was making look silly? (One with dark hair, the other light)

Reply #277148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Without watching it again, I'd guess they were Crosswell and Corletto.

Reply #277150 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

DB5, I too would prefer Herbie in the starting role but was merely pointing out dependant on Hills progress/form that the line up I suggested could be the way Marty goes.....time will tell!

Reply #277152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are the 36ers going to release the official statement to confirm this?

Reply #277153 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Great signing for the 36ers! watching that video just reminded me how overrated Crosswell is. He isn't even that good..IMO Carter is head and shoulders above him.

Reply #277154 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

I agree anon, i find it funny that they still cant release it yet Boti has had an interview with Rhys where he is stating he is looking forward to playing in adelaide with the crowd behind him. bit of an anticlimax now.

Reply #277155 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crosswell has certainly had a much better career to date than Carter, but Carter is young and can continue to develop with this young Sixer lineup.

Reply #277157 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

They may have to get clearance from his former team before NBL gives them the OK to offically sing him up.

Reply #277158 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL has to approve it before the club can officially announce it. There's just a loophole, however, in that the club can re-report media news.

Reply #277163 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Well why did the club have to drop a hint 2-3 days ago and leave all the supporters sitting?

Why does Boti have to tell us before the club can confirm it officially?

It's a good signing, but just frustrating as a fan to see it dragged out.

Reply #277175 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think most people with half a clue could figure out that it was Carter that had been signed.

Boti has confirmed it in the Advertiser on behalf of the 36ers who cant officially release it due to NBL rules and approval.

The club has let the fans know who the signing was the quickest and best way they could, and you now know who it is...

I do understand the frustration, it shows passion and I am sure the club respects that but would you prefer the club do it this way or wait until everything is signed and sealed before making their announcements?

The way I see it, the clube is damned if they do, damned if they dont....they will have haters no matter which path they take!

Reply #277176 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Did it ever occur to you The Champ 33 that the club notified Boti so he could inform the fans of who the signing was on their behalf as they were unable to announce it themselves?

Reply #277177 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Good post tornado, exactly what I was thinking.

Reply #277178 | Report this post

Sares  
Years ago

Or maybe just to build some excitement......you can't tell me you didn't all spend a few more hours online waiting for the announcement...it's called suspense!!! The might just be maintaining a regular flow of information/gossip to keep you all interested during the off-season.

Reply #277181 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The suspence for me will be the imports.
They can delay this one, hype and suspence it.

Reply #277184 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

just happy they got a quality back up PG. The club has its reasons. The only important thing really is the signing itself

Reply #277187 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

'bretts the man' how can you compare rosters when we have not even signed our imports .

2 very good foreigners with Ballinger and anyone else can be competitive .
Add the rest of our squad and IMO we are right in the mix .

As was the case last season it will quite an open and even competition for the most part .
Clean slate , New coaching panel and fresh , hungry attitude should see us fighting from 5th upwards .

Reply #277191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of the imports I think we're the clear favourites for back to back wooden spoons next season.

Out: Gilchrist, Groves, Burston, Cooper & Molitor

In: 2 x imports, Johnson, Carter, Dowdell.

Even if both of the imports are absolute guns (which they obviously won't be) at best we'll be an outside playoff chance. I don't envy the job Marty Clarke has ahead of him with a roster like this.

Reply #277198 | Report this post

dingo  
Years ago

kings looking worse imo and also those guys up @ the snakepit.

ladder prediction:
blaze
tigers
wildcats
breakers
crocs
hawks
36ers
taipans
kings

Reply #277199 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Nice twist to the post. We've gone from "welcome Rhys Carter" to "Let's predict how shit we will be this season".

Wait until the Season starts FFS.

Reply #277200 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

Rhys 'rolls royce' Carter has played with Herbie going back a few years ago at Geelong in their SEABL comp so they know their strengths etc which is good for a team like us.

Rhys looked at becoming a footballer but basketball was his choice despite it being on and off.

Great addition to the team, and a 'dead eye dick' when it comes to 3's

Reply #277214 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Well said Big Marty. i find it ironic to how its gone from welcome rhys to predicting next season with everyones rosters still incomplete. some real brainiacs on here.

Reply #277215 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I love the pessimistic nature of some people!

A select few are rating the team thus far on the players it has signed. Obviously the coach plays no part in how the team plays, nor does he have any effect on player development?! Why did we sack Ninnis again?

Going by what these people say there is no point in playing the season, we should just hand the championship to the team that looks the best on paper.....worked well for the Tigers a couple seasons back and NZ last year didnt it? Ohhhh...and can any of you pessimists tell me how Wollongong looked on paper last year at the start of the season?

How about we let Marty coach and the boys play before we start judging them?

Reply #277219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well why did the club have to drop a hint 2-3 days ago and leave all the supporters sitting?
Might not have anticipated a hiccup with the NBL office or, as someone else suggested, getting clearance from his Swedish club. Not smooth sailing, nor is it life and death.
Out: Gilchrist, Groves, Burston, Cooper & Molitor
In: 2 x imports, Johnson, Carter, Dowdell.
The outgoing imports were widely criticised, one for being sub-par and the other for being a little difficult to work into a structure. Molitor did virtually nothing, so even Dowdell's an upgrade there. Carter is no downward step from Cooper. And Johnson and Burston aren't miles apart even if you're a big Burston fan (and I am). As I've said so many times, take last year's team with different imports and a different coach and they wouldn't have slumped to the spoon.

Reply #277224 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

Here's a question for all the 36er doomers, how many of you back in December picked the Crows to be 1-6 and Fremantle 6-1 after 7 games of the 2010 AFL season? If any can honestly say you did, then keep on predicting the 36ers to be wooden spooners again, otherwise give it a rest.

Back on topic, welcome Rhys Carter to the 36ers.

Reply #277231 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

And as I've said before we were only a couple of close games/brain farts away from making the four! Now we have a different coach and two new imports. And as others have pointed out the new signings are not worse than the people they are replacing (Burston the only ?)

Reply #277245 | Report this post

Roger Murdock  
Years ago

can not understand people predicting wooden spoon before we have seen what the coach will bring for a start.
We will bat 10 deep this year looking at our aussie contingent.

Its a fine line between success and failure, if we have a defence which works as a unit and an offence which creates shots the likes of Ng and Herbert want to take rather than jacking up shots because the offence is stagnent and easy to defend. There were times last year when Ng was coming off the bench to save our offence and you could sense and so could the opposition.

There is easy improement to see from last years group and plenty to like about the new.

I for one cant wait to see them

Reply #277311 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

dave - not only did Herbie and Rhys play at Geelong, they played in an NBL championship winning team together....

Reply #277321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754