LC
Years ago

Jawai's NBA future

Nathan Jawai had a topsy-turvy NBA season with Minnesota. He took advantage of injuries to key forwards such as Kevin Love to put in some great early season performances and even started a couple of games. However as the injured players returned to action, Jawai's opportunities started drying up. His need to return to Australia early in the new year due to a death in teh family also did not help his playing cause. Ultimately after a promising start to the season, Jawai ended up spending the remainder of the season in the D-League where his numbers were not all that spectacular.

A thing that conspired against him apart from the return of injured players and his need to travel to Australia was that the T-Wolves acquired Darko Milicic late in the season and he immediately slotted in ahead of Jawai in the rotation. Jawai ended the season behind Jefferson, Love, Hollins and Milicic and even Cardinal. Thankfully however, he was ahead of Pecherov.

Coach Kurt Rambis has publicly stated he likes Jawai's size and athleticism and his overall potential. Whether that translate to a roster spot next season is anyone's guess.

Jawai's fitness has been a constant concern, particular after his heart related issues the season before. He also battled an ankle injury this past season which also set him back.

So where to for Jawai? He is a free agent, and would be hoping to pick up a roster spot somewhere if not in Minnesota where he is settled.

Minnesota boss Kahn has also recently stated he is looking at Montenegran big man Nikola Pekovic (6'11"). And despite originally wishing to ehad to Europe after this past NBA season, Darko Milicic now wants to play at least 1 more season with Minnesota - although he remains a free agent at this stage just like Jawai.

So where to for Jawai now? He will find it hard to break into the Boomers WC team even with Bogut out given our plethora of big men putting their hands up. A Summerleague berth is also likely, but he really needs the chance to shine on the international stage to help his cause to remain in the NBA.

I still think his best bet is in Minnesota, however the T-Wolves actions in looking at other big men may make that hard. What do others think?

Topic #22997 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Surely Brett Brown will want him for WC's?

Reply #277716 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

In my opinion, Aleks Maric, David Andersen and Matt Nielsen are all ahead of Jawai and pick themselves. I would think that Jawai would be fighting the following big men for a place on the WC team:

Luke Nevill
AJ Ogilvy
Luke Schenscher
Anthony Petrie

Out of of the 4 of these guys (including Jawai), at best there is 2 more spots in the team available (unless I have missed someone else from this list).

Reply #277727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai is a hardened body for the WC. He may not have the skill set of Ogilvy or even Nevill but you need someone with some presence in there.

In saying that I am not his biggest fan. Too many excuses for my liking from him. He knows he is big and overweight. He has been given the opportunity of a lifetime in the NBA and still hasnt been able to get into shape. I understand heart problem and also funeral, however since he was given the all clear for his heart he should be out there working as hard as he possibly can on his conditioning.

Big men like him can play their role in the NBA. His chance might have passed him by..........

Reply #277739 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

LC - I think you spelt Luke Schenscher's name wrong... you accidentally hit and then the letters, Anthony Petrie after it.

For a second there i thought you meant something else.

Reply #277745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you joking? Jawai not in the world champs squad!!

Jawai is a better player then David Andersen, Matt Nielson and Maric. Did you see Andersen at the Olympics!! How soft was he, he was letting the Americans pushing him round like a barbie doll. Nate Jawai just adds that extra muscle and he wont be taking anything from the Americans. If Jawai doesn't get in the 12 man team im not gonna even bother watching the Aussie's. Jawai is a player who keeps you ingaged in the game. He put up reasonable numbers for T'wolves for the limited minutes he got, especially off.boards numbers. Keep it up Nate your great player.

Reply #277746 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

You guys are so dumb that guy is talented... don't jump on the ban wagon when he signs another deal i the NBA. Brett Brown will take him for WC. look at his numbers for last summer with the aussie team.

Reply #277752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way in the world should guys like Andersen & Nielsen be picked ahead of Jawai. We've got enough soft as putty big men as it is and now we finally a big who could go to work down low.

Reply #277767 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

yeh people are starting to forget the kind of domination he showed in the NBL... he could do that against MOST national teams... He just hasnt had NBA oppurtunites, nor has he tried to get in condition.... regardless, he is one of our best big guys, the only one who can back them down.. and Id have him in as a lock.

Reply #277799 | Report this post

jawo  
Years ago

he(jawai) tied down Luis Scola on defense the last time Boomers and Argentina met

Reply #277800 | Report this post

Johnny_Sack  
Years ago

I have watched Jawai a lot this season - and i believe he will be sign with another NBA team (Twolves landing no 4 pick means there will be a logjam in the frontcourt most likely). He's (relatively) cheap, not unskilled, big, long and quick - ideal risk/reward guy on the bench for a team on the cusp of making something of itself...

Of course he could probably bolt for Euroland as well...

Reply #277802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he's relatively unskilled or with his size he'll be playing a much greater role.

Reply #277809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt Jawai will be in the WC team as a future project if nothing else, even though he was just ok against a subpar NZ team last international season. The lack of team cohesion didnt help him one bit.

Of course, he is still very much a work in progress. He had a very good but inconsistent rookie season in the NBL and has barely played since.

At times this year he showed he has the ability to play NBA, but whether he can convert that into consistent production and hence a long term career is yet to be seen.

I would be surpised if an NBA club doesnt give him another chance this year.

Reply #277813 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I got the impression that he didn't have the greatest rapport with the coach in that NZ series and may have resented coming off the bench? (I think Ogilvy was starting ahead of him?)

While I think he didn't help team cohesion in those games, I did see him do quite well in a game for the Wolves and would be useful to someone over there. Has such great skills.

Reply #277817 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Neilson will be in cos of the Sydney Kings link between coaches Brown & Heal. Matt & Shane are best mates & he also has backed up his playing ability with form in Europe.
Although being an NBA player shouldnt give you definite inclusion it would be weird if an Aussie can compete in the best league in the world & not make our national side.

Reply #277891 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

What have been said above me is true. You guys who posted at the start are so clue less

Reply #277910 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:55 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754