shano
Years ago

Sixers schedule: impact on out of towners

whilst im excited about the upcoming season, as a whyalla resident friday night games rule me out..i know its for one hd and for the greater good, but we cant even get one hd and at least saturday night games enable you to drive down for the games. i was a season ticket holder from 92 to 2005 when i got the job and austar has been my saving grace! i still think its a great move for the nbl's future, just makes it harder to follow the team i love.

Topic #23082 | Report this topic

illicit  
Years ago

yeah we only have 2 sat night home game this year which to me is retarded, an soo many sunday games @4:30 this year sched is f'd up

Reply #278792 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

also, abc radio cover saturday nights but nor fridays so spose that is out too..still pumped though.

Reply #278797 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

abc radio coverage was insufficient, unreliable, due to other commitments pre-Christmas, then nothing at all, after christmas. They didn't bother doing anything.

Reply #278801 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its the worst schedule I have ever seen. Saturday nights have always been best for me and yet we have so few. There are far too many Sunday 4.30 games. Its not the time of the week that I am looking for basketball entertainment as it is far too busy spent with family. Especially at 4.30. It stuffs up the afternoon and stuffs up the evening that you can't do anything else either side. Also, what's with the Thursday games when its a school/working day the following day? This schedule gives no regard whatsoever to the faithful fans attending games regularly and have only considered the TV convenience.

Reply #278804 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The schedule is messed up indeed due to many of the factors people keep mentioning.

The lack of Saturday night games sucks and is the best time to draw fans.

Sunday's are terrible. It throws out the whole day. I like visiting the pub some Sunday afternoons to watch the boxing. This will throw it out of wack if a big fight is on the same day as a game.

Reply #278809 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

EC - there is one Thursday home game, it is the night before Xmas Eve - don't know too many people going to school the next day! The two Thursday away games are v NZ, when away games against NZ have often been.

So sick of people hating on the schedule. Embrace the change people, instead of finding reasons to hate it.

Friday night football - love it, most popular night for footy, both in attendance, and on TV. Can't see why basketball will be any different.

Reply #278811 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

people screamed that there was no fta and bb would die without it, now we have it they scream fta is killing bb ,

once again damned if you do damned if you dont,

its a simple analogy do you want and nbl and 36ers if the answer is yes fta is must so deal with it,

Reply #278817 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

More Saturday night games would have been awesome. But I'll cop what we have and continue to attend as a season ticket holder. Good to see the game back on FTA. Still you can't win either way. Some will like and others won't, it's just the way it goes.

I look forward to future anticipation when our imports are finally announced.

Reply #278831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Friday night and Saturday night games are great but the Sunday games are terrible - I'd prefer middle of the week than Sunday as I don't think I'll be able to make any of those games.

Reply #278838 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's an excellent schedule, pretty much all weekend games. NBL crowds will definitely be up this year as a result. Great to see the TV broadcaster working with the NBL, not demanding midweek games that greatly reduce crowds.

I love Sunday games, means I dont have to chose between the NBL and other Saturday night offers, which the basketball usually wins and the missus gets pissed off!!

Reply #278839 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I am loving all the Friday night/Sunday arvo games myself. I often have to turn down other invites on Saturday nights because of a sixers game.

EC - We have had 3 or 4 Wednesday games each season for the last 6 or 7 years where people have had to go to work the next day. But I'm sure your negativity is justified with the one and only Thursday game (when a much larger percentage will be on Holidays)

Reply #278840 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

FTA FTW

Reply #278841 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I like the Friday games for that reason too Skip.

I think one reason for those Friday games is due to the Wildcats' schedule and venue availability. Not ideal for the 36ers, but might as well make the most of it and take advantage of the TV games being good for sponsors, etc.

Reply #278843 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Sunday games are much harder as there is little time to recover from a hangover. but none the less i still think its good. it seems they will be doing it similar to footy, alot of people on a sunday like to just relax and watch the game on tv. so i think ratings at that time will have a big benefit. i say lets embrace it and see how it goes. change can be a good thing.

Reply #278862 | Report this post

shano  
Years ago

I didnt mind abc's radio coverage, it was at least coverage of games I couldnt get too, will just have to try and transfer back to adelaide to see the 6ers. i wasnt whinging about the schedule, just making a point-i dont even know how many country people travel to the games.

Reply #278889 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Gazza and skip, people have a variety of reasons why some things suit them and some don't. I will go to all the games because I am passionate about it but the schedule for me personally puts pressure on the busy life I have and arrangements that I make. For a start, I have people that cannot drive to the games that live around the corner from me (eastern side of town). I pick them up and take them to the games and then take them home. Saturday night is the only night I can do that because I go to the games straight from home. On the week nights I go straight from work (western suburbs 5 minute drive from the dome). Every Sunday afternoon I visit my parents (North Western suburbs) and need to go straight from there. This schedule allows for 2 games only where I can pick up these people and they are also season ticket holders with 4 tickets because I take their grand children as well.

So sick of people hating on the schedule. Embrace the change people, instead of finding reasons to hate it.

as you can see,I have a reason for having a personal opinion about not liking the schedule and its not just for the sake of knocking it.

skip, one day you might like to look past the fact that I don't complain for the sake of complaining but there may be good reason for it.

Reply #278905 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

EC, for the record, I wasn't talking specifically about you, but seeing as we are going there....

Its the worst schedule I have ever seen.

Come, on if that's not over the top.... You could very easily have made your point about your displeasure without being so melodramatic.

Also, what's with the Thursday games when its a school/working day the following day?

Already covered in Skips comment - 4 wednesday games last season, as opposed to 1 thursday this season, the night be xmas eve. Waaaaaaay less impact.

This schedule gives no regard whatsoever to the faithful fans attending games regularly and have only considered the TV convenience.

Strongly disagree. Wed games were a foxtel thing - all clubs hated them because they were terrible for attendance, but good for TV. Gone.

Personally, I'm all for Friday nights, means you still have the whole w/e left after the game.

Understand that you have some impacts, but you didn't describe those originally. Just commented how this was the worst ever, and whats with Sundays, and Thursdays, and none of these nights work for me. Next season, hopefully the NBL get in touch with you to make sure what makes the most sense for the league overall fits in with your personal schedule.

Reply #278906 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Gazza, thats just it, its he the worst schedule I have ever seen, not the worst schedule ever put together by the NBL suggesting its bad for everyone. Its just bad for me.

The school/working day, granted it may not affect the school but its still a working day. Once again, it may not affect you or others, but I am up at 6 in the morning and spend 10 hours each day Monday to friday working and travelling to work. The Thursday game means getting home at 10.30pm and without having been home at all since early morning, its well after midnight by the time I get to bed with the things that have to be done and then up again at 6 in the morning. I know we had several Wednesday games in the past seasons but I never said they were suitable for me either. Now this thread was started to comment on the schedule and many have shown disapproval of it. My personal circumstances makes it less than ideal but simply giving an opinion.

Understand that you have some impacts, but you didn't describe those originally. Just commented how this was the worst ever, and whats with Sundays, and Thursdays, and none of these nights work for me. Next season, hopefully the NBL get in touch with you to make sure what makes the most sense for the league overall fits in with your personal schedule.

What's this you were saying about being melodramatic. Even I wouldn't go to that extreme because I have already acknowledged that different people have different reasons as to why something is suitable and something else is not. I've also said that I will go to the games regardless so there is no need to form a schedule that meets my approval.

Reply #278910 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Correction to above comment re working/school day. It does still affect school children because many parents are working the next day and children are dragged out of the house early in the morning to their place of care while parents go to work.

Reply #278912 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

Lol - ok EC, you win. By the sounds of things you are a pretty busy person. I don't think it would have mattered which way the NBL set the schedule, it wouldn't have worked for you.

Reply #278913 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its worked pretty well in the last 8 years. You always make allowances for the things you enjoy doing.

Reply #278914 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

kids go to school on xmas day now do they ????

Reply #278915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What impact is it going to have on the local junior comp on a friday night....do we see these games being moved to a saturday night or sunday morning or do they stay the same on a friday night as they no longer use the dome for junior games

Reply #278917 | Report this post

Gazza  
Years ago

No-one knows yet, as BSA are yet to release the schedule.

Reply #278918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh EC - Its your last comment that for me sums you up.

You state that the schedule has worked pretty well for the last 8 years, would that lead us to believe that you havnt complained about it over those last 8 years? No of course you have, you always do. As Gazza stated, it wouldnt matter if every game was programmed specifically around your life, youd still manage to find something to whinge about.

Reply #278920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like the schedule, because my family and I can't get to the Friday night games.
It is great if the new schedule guarentees the future of the NBL and the 36ers due to the Free To Air (FTA) rights.
For me that ends my season membership for the Sixers this year.
Am I going to complain about it - YES!
I am a passionate supporter and used to see game at Appolo with the old faces.

I love going to see ball games...

Not much I can do about though.

Reply #278928 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

thomo, I'm not aware of kids going to school on Christmas day but then I'm not aware of Christmas day being on the 24th December. Its not about kids going to school, but kids having to be up early for working parents.

Reply #278930 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon Reply #278920, I take it your message is directed at everyone else who also doesn't like the schedule.

Reply #278931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No EC - it was directed squarely at you and your seemingly endless whinges and gripes about anything and everything to do with the Sixers.

Reply #278935 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

You said it affects kids because of school ?

Reply #278940 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754