2 Conferences

8 x Vic (min 2 Vic Country)
1 x Tas
2 x SA
1 x WA
2 x NSW
2 x QLD

Winter Comp avoiding overlapping with NBL
Promotion/Relegation model adopted - Promotion achieved from champions of state league replacing poorest performing team from ABL. (subject to meeting eligibility critera set by league).

Organisational Structure

NBL
ABL as above
State Leagues - Big V, Waratah, SBL, QBL etc

Facility Eligibility Critera is
? FIBA Standard Court;
? 500 Seating Capacity;
? Broadcast lighting, communications and internet capability;
? Hospitality Area;
? Separate Team Change Rooms;
? Separate Referees Change Rooms;
? 2 x Scoreboards and 2 x 24 Second Clock.

SEABL would like to see a "Grandfather" clause in place to allow all existing SEABL
associations to initially participate in the Australian Basketball League competition. It is
envisaged that this will be achievable.

Topic #23130 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

In doing this they are trying to create a stronger second tier, but failing to meet their objectives as many of the best players will be playing for clubs who dont qualify for the ABL.

Having said that, it will certainly add a bit of interest with the relegation promotion etc.

Reply #279425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

got a link to the story?

Reply #279429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who have got the money to run a club with this amount of travel involved ?

Reply #279430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and pay the players, coaches physio etc

Reply #279433 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Cool, I hope they can make this work financially. A feeder league will be very valuable for player (and coach) development paths in basketball.

One question about the promotion/ relegation rule. Does the State league champion of (say) the QBL, replace the worst placed Qld team, or the team that finishes last (regardless of which state league they are from)?

Also, Paul, don't you think that, in time, the best players will simply choose to move to clubs in the ABL? It will create some winners and losers amongst local clubs, but I think the potential for this system to develop NBL talent can only be good for the quality of the league and, in the long term, the profile of the game.

Reply #279437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the SA teams be representative of groups of clubs? Or will it just be a single club that can get in. If its representateive of groups of clubs - maybe a Northern ABL team and a Southern ABL team then it could work well. All the clubs pool their resources and it could be done.

If its a single club that can enter then it wouldnt work well.

Reply #279451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Beantown, that will happen to an extent, but clubs will be relegated and promoted, and some players will still go where the money is, and that wont necessarily be the ABL clubs.

NBL teams will still look at players from all leagues and invite the elite for tryouts. It has far less benefit for player development than having a true second tier competition.

Reply #279456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to bring in rules about paying good players and good coaches and maybe limiting the league to 1 import.

If they want to make it more "professional" they need to up the ante and legislate that teams train a minimum of three times a week.

And what they should really do is have an import draft - like a lottery.

Reply #279459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No club in SA could afford to fly their team interstate to play.

And if they try, they will be broke the following 5 years.

Simple as that

Reply #279470 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, are you saying that it would be better to have a set 2nd tier league of new teams, rather than trying to get existing state league teams (who may not be up to it financially) to play the boom and bust game of a promotion/ relegation league?

If so, I think I agree with you, actually. To me, the most important thing about a 2nd tier league is creating a career path for young players and giving them a stepping stone to the NBL, so it isn't such a difficult leap from the state league.

Whatever the plan, I just hope that we end up with a stable feeder league for the NBL.

Reply #279473 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Quick maths,

Two conferences, 1- SA (2), WA (2) & Vic Metro (6) 2- NSW (2), QLD (2), ACT (2), TAS (2) & Vic Count (2)

So each SA team would travel twice to WA (for Double Headers) and 3 times to Vic (also for double headers), so that would be, for say 10 players & two coaches, approx. $30K for travel costs (assuming discount airfares & sharing rooms).
Since this would be a higher level comp,I have assumed the 5 lowest paid players would be earning $200pg & $400pg for the starters (On Average - imports would get more). Coaches would probably be looking at $500pg & $200pg (assistant)? Over an 18 game minor round, that would be another $25K.
So just game costs would be $55K for the minor round, for the season, which wouldn't take into account training costs ($30phr for say 25 weeks @ 6 hours pwk = $4.5K, uniforms, gym memberships, medical, registration, referees, etc etc.)
So you wouldn't see much change out of $100K per team, even on these figures.
I just can't see how SA could raise sufficient Sponsorship for almost $400K for a 2nd level of a sport that the Top Level is having difficulties getting enough Sponsorship to operate.
Assuming all home games sold out, at 500 people at an average of $5 a game, that would generate over 9 home games approx $40K per team, so less than half the costs. (I'm not sure people would be willing to pay anymore than $10 to see this level of Basketball and you would also want kids getting in cheaper).
Would the 10 current SA ABL Clubs agree to fund $40K per club (possibly going down to $25K if all games sold out) to fund this competition. I would doubt it and any Sponsors that did come on Board may well already be sponsoring at District level so that would need to be replaced too.

Reply #279485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania to get the same amount of teams as the other states? That is just a kick in the face to the other non victorian states.

An entry of an NT team might also be worth considering. I know they were looking at getting into either the SEABL or CABL in future years.

Reply #279494 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

no comment on the women's structure but the men's structure seems too Victorian centric, given you need other states to grow and on a per capita basis, begin to match Vic's numbers.

Qld won the last two ABA national champs for men. if the SEABL's ambit claim comes good, you would anticipate that Southern Districts will be one of the Qld teams - that leaves Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton, GC, Brisbane vying for the last two spots. Seems pretty much out of whack.

Some other interestings:

- Tassie 2 teams - i agree with the previous anon, that is just pandering to current seabl membership
- ACT 2 teams - Y? Canberra should head to Waratah and BA should make Waratah, the poorest performing of the ABA leagues, overhaul its performance and objectives
- NSW need more than 2 teams - especially given one will be Albury based on the seabl membership.

FIBA standard court? - I guess that rules out Nunawading and possibly Frankston, I don't think their run offs are sufficient. That potentially leaves Vic with Dandy, Kilsyth, Knox, Sandringham, Bendigo, Ballarat, Geelong (although of these Geelong does not currently have a women's program) and .... melbourne tigers or one of the other bigV teams?

Finally, where are the age restrictions? Are we just going to see rehashed seabl and state league teams with no development focus? This needs to be an U25 or similar league with 2 restricted players - either an import or an NBL quality player. if this league is going to "underpin" then it must provide for the future, not rehash the past.

Reply #279501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Y bother.
The SA clubs withdrew from the seabl some time ago.
NOw they want back in?

Reply #279504 | Report this post

JCK  
Years ago

Sounds a bit like another Victorian Sports League trying to go national.

Reply #279505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just have state leagues and a national tournament at the end of the year, like the NCAA tournament.

Some conferences are stronger than others in the NCAA, a Victorian Conference would be strong (like the ACC or the Big East), while the WABL (SBL I think it is called) could be like a Mountain West and have less berths at the National Tournament.

Either way, they need to fix it and make it work....Agreed with previous comments regarding age restrictions. It can't become a washed-up NBL and veterans league. It needs to be a vehicle for our young athletes to get somewhere, not somewhere the older players go back to once they aren't up to training every day...

Reply #279513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is exaclty the concept that SA clubs pulled out of because they can't afford it.

Reply #279539 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

A lot of SEABL teams travel with 8 players no because of the financial strain. There is no way in the current climate they could afford more.

Reply #279567 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Really Paul - they travel with eight? I heard some time ago seabl reduced the travel equalisation to 10 persons - so coach, assistant coach, team manager + eight players - meaning they still have to pay for one xtra?

Reply #279569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes

Reply #279607 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Relegation and promotion are my two fave words,BRING IT ON!

Reply #279955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754