sharon
Years ago

Australian Womens Team loses games to China

Have heard that the Opals have now lost both of their opening games to China, but even more interesting, that dual Olympian and SA player, Laura Summerton is yet to see court time. I think Coach Graf is struggling big time if she can't find court time for the Opals best player off the bench in both their Gold medal World Champiosnship campaign and their Silver medal Olympic effort. Honestly, I find that disgraceful and hope an explanation can be offered. The girls playiong ahead of Summerton have never played International basketball and with this kind of coaching, don't think we'll see Graf there for very long. Any thoughts?

Topic #23280 | Report this topic

Page  
Years ago

From the BA website:
"CHINA 78 (M Zengyu 20, C Nan 15, M Lijie 8) def
AUSTRALIA 73 (E Cambage 24, J O'Hea 19, K Harrower 19)
At Xinhui Arena, Jiangmen, China"

There was no box score available from China so I don't know who played and how the minutes were shared.. but just going on the above, Cambage, O'Hea and Harrower scored 62 out of the teams 73 points!

Reply #281420 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Full strentgh Chinese lineup, whilst we are still missing LJ & Taylor - arguably our two best players!

Reply #281421 | Report this post

The Champ  
Years ago

Graffie will be there for some time to come. I'm pretty sure if Summerton was 100% healthy she would have seen some minutes (she may be sick/carrying an injury, etc).

Also Sharon, I'm quite sure every squad member would have played international basketball at some point, with the recent Japan games, Gems, Sapphires or previous tours.

Graffie has watched every player closely through recent camps and other practice games and if Summerton was fit, healthy and playing well she would see minutes (Also Sharon where did you see the boxscore??, I didn't think one had been posted for either game?). Although just because Summerton was a key team member 4 years ago that doesn't meen she automatically walks into court time this time around.

Reply #281422 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Well said Champ - I am expecting a different look team for the World Championships, especially down the end of the bench.
If O'Hea doesn't get a spot in the team with her current form, it'll be a crime!

Reply #281439 | Report this post

Amanda  
Years ago

I fully agree with Champ and Astor. Very hard to get a win in China and we are not yet at world champs. This is part of a process and a great opportunity to give players with less experience a run as you never know when you may need them!

Reply #281440 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

Jacko in good form state side. Why are / did we hold an opals camp in conneticut? Right under geno's and team usa’s nose? that is like usa in ais ! Team usa wants the title back.

Reply #281444 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Because we play a game against the USA in our preparations, and the camp gives LJ, Taylor, Bishop and Tully and chance to join the camp.

Reply #281445 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

I understand all that but it is right in geno's backyard.

Reply #281448 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

I dont know the dates of the camp but is it around the wnba all star v team usa weekend? That would make sense then getting all our crew together and no wnba games for lj pt etc. A big chance to see u.s. Players as well.

Reply #281450 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

com, you sure it's an open camp?

Reply #281452 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:06 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754