Detroit
Years ago

NH - western bulldogs release akermanis

Just saw a flash of the news and it looks like the doggies have released akamanis for disciplinary reasons

Topic #23391 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Can be incredibly disruptive for the group, to release a player of his ilk mid-season. They obviously thought it better to say goodbye than to keep him around. History will be the judge but I for one thought he would've had value finals time. Tough call, Caro.

Reply #283199 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

He would have been an x-factor in the finals. I think it was too pre-mature sacking him now and don't agree with it.

I wonder how people will remember Aker though.
3-time Premiership player
Brownlow Medal Winner.

Reply #283201 | Report this post

Detroit  
Years ago

From what it said on the news report the doggies board wasnt very happy about what was being written in his new book which would have been released prior to finals footy starting. Probably unintentional advertising but it has made me interested in what he has to say in the book.

Surely the club could have said to just release the book at the end of the season and assess it once the season is over. If that was indeed the 'straw that broke the camels back'. He is naturally an outspoken person but so are alot of different sporting stars.

Maybe being sheltered from the mass malbourne media doesnt give us the same insight into what was being said and done but from what i have heard reported i certainly dont think that it warranted his release at such a pivotal point in the season.

Reply #283208 | Report this post

TC2  
Years ago

It's not one single issue that caused the sacking but a culmination of things. He never had the full trust of the rest of the team for a start. Then of course, the poor way he handled the gay article was not a good thing, but to then reveal how he was "mis-treated" to Sam Newman so he could grill Cooney on TFS was basically telling everyone that he was bigger than the team.

You only have to read the comments from him, his brother and father in the Herald this morning to get the picture of how much the guy does not understand what it's all about.

I'd a Doggies supporter and I would have loved to see him back playing finals footy but he has no one to blame but himself.

Reply #283266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754