Liam
Years ago

Spreading NBL further than Australia

I thought this idea has some merit for basketball in Australia by taking our league internationally (Mod: Link removed.)

The travel factor is a big financial negative but a good comment was made in regards to maybe "following the Super 14 Rugby is perhaps the best model, if Basketball went down that path, or run an Asian Champions League alongside a local season (like in the A-League)"

Was curious in everyones thoughts, do you honestly think something like this would work?

Topic #23394 | Report this topic

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I think maybe a Continental league would work better! Asia, Europe, North America, South America, Africa and Oceania! Have a top 2 of each continental championship face off in a World Final 12 system of some sort and a world champion eventuates.

This would help cut down on travel costs as the majority of the competition is continental.

Reply #283210 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Sort of like the Euro league but everywhere!

Reply #283211 | Report this post

Liam  
Years ago

ok cool, the continential league sounds interesting, I mean what would be the longets flight for a team?

Reply #283213 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Having team play in 3 different locations wouldnt work IMO. I like to feel some sort of 'ownership' and having them play home games all over the place wouldnt cut it for me. Id probably watch out of interest, but couldnt see myself as a passionate supporter.

A champions league is an interesting idea, but I see that as more a reward for the top teams who qualify rather than a promotional tool to increase the popularity of bball in Australia. Sure it would gain the competing teams extra publicity and the sponsorship taht coes along with it, but would a Tigers fan really give a toss if the Blaze were paying Shingdingdong in a super league game 4 weeks after the NBL season ended? Maybe but Im not so sure.

Reply #283217 | Report this post

as  
Years ago

Imagine watching the NBA teams come and play the aus team. You could play one in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. You would easily fill these stadiums for the NBA team and most likely the Euro teams.

Reply #283221 | Report this post

Liam  
Years ago

Oh yeah fill the stadiums alright, it would be packed.

You could play it in every state

Reply #283225 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

I always thought the big tip was like the onion, I didn't realise anyone took it seriously.

Reply #283236 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Can't see it working myself.

BA should focus on reinvigorating the NBL and then perhaps look to being represented in a Champions League style competition, sort of like the A-League where the minor premier and the championship winning team get invited to take part in...

Reply #283239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Oberon, I think it's basically 'forum-level musings' with rev-share from ads (e.g., motivation for the writer to go out plugging their stuff on other sites).

Reply #283282 | Report this post

Liam  
Years ago

No ads, all the site cares about is unlocking sports opinions, anyone is welcome to show off.

Reply #283285 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

Isaac - Daniel Eade definitely uses it like that on twitter

Reply #283291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Liam, then why not have the convo here or join one of the existing threads about broadening the NBL?

From BigTip's site:

2. We will aggressively promote your work through all available social media channels, forums and media.

3. You get paid! Feature writers who receive over 500 unique views are entitled to be paid - As soon as your article hits a minimum of 500 unique views you will be awarded a payment to the following terms...
Can you please stop "aggressively" promoting BigTip stuff on Hoops? If it's good enough (yet to see an article that is), I'm sure someone else will organically raise it for discussion (as they do for ESPN articles, NBL articles, etc). Thanks.

Reply #283297 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Check out the wikipedia link for the NBL for options for the NBL in the future.

http://linky.com.au/yqmt5

I think this is right on the money for where it should go.

Reply #283300 | Report this post

Oberon 17  
Years ago

Oh wow thanks for pointing that out Isaac, I'll be sure to avoid Daniel Eades links now then

Reply #283303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754