LC
Years ago

Lindsay Gaze named a Legend

Last night at the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame function where 14 Australian's were inducted, Australian sporting icon Lindsay Gaze has been elevated to 'Legend' status, becoming the third person ever to win basketball’s highest honour.

BA Link: http://linky.com.au/u3jc2

Gaze joins NBL founding father Dr John Raschke and respected administrator Alastair Ramsay as the three Legends of the game.

- 3 Olympic teams as a player in 1960, 1964 and 1968
- Won numerous Australian Championships in the 1970’s and ‘80’s as the coach of Victorian representative sides.
- From 1971 to 1985 he was the coach of the Australian Boomers men’s national team; 5th in 1982 WC's & 7th in 1984 Olympics.
- Coach of the Melbourne Tigers in the NBL between 1984 and 2005 for 689 games, 363 victories; 2nd all-time
- He led the Tigers to 16 NBL play-off appearances and four Grand Finals, winning in 1993 and 1997.
- 3 time NBL Coach of the Year
- He served for a number of years as a member of the NBL Board and as part of FIBA’s technical and rules committees

Plus he has been a mentor for an immeasureable players, coaches, referees and administrators throughout the years.

Congratulations to Gaze Senior, a thoroughly deserved accolade and due recognition for his contribution to the sport.

Topic #23608 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Lindsay - it's well deserved!

Reply #286437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations Lindsay - it's well deserved.

Reply #286438 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Its only a matter of time before his son gets that treatment too, absolute legends of the game...

Reply #286467 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Who will be next Dr Adrian Hurley??

Reply #286476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about who will be the next Lindsay Gaze? Hurley did very little for the sport as a whole in comparison to Gaze.

People talk about the size of basketball participation in Victoria but who deserves credit for that more then Gaze? Who worked with Councils and State Government to build venues? Who worked with Clubs to build them into huge Associations?

People like Gaze at grassroots level and Kerle in promoting the sport have acheived a lot more then Hurley.

Reply #286482 | Report this post

Murray  
Years ago

Joe Ingles names best International player for season 09/10.. look out..

Reply #286484 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Did Lindsay stay awake through the ceremony?

Reply #286502 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

FIBA have also now announced that Lindsay Gaze will be inducted into the FIBA Hall of Fame alongside Al Ramsey!

Link: http://linky.com.au/yi4e5

Full list if inductee's:

Here is the full list of the 2010 FIBA Hall of Fame Class.

PLAYERS
Divac, Vlade (Serbia)
Kicanovic, Dragan (Serbia)
Meneghin, Dino (Italy)
Miller, Cheryl (USA)
Sabonis, Arvydas (Lithuania)
Schmidt, Oscar (Brazil)
Zassoulskaya, Natalia (Russia)

COACHES
Gaze, Lindsay (Australia)
Gomelsky, Evgeny (Russia)
Novosel, Mirko (Croatia)

TECH OFFICIALS
Bain, Jim (USA)
Dimou, Konstantinos (Greece)

CONTRIBUTORS
Killian, George (USA)
Otto, Hans-Joachim (Germany)
Segura de Luna, Ernesto (Spain) (posthumously)
Seye Moreau, Abdoulaye (Senegal)
Ramsay, Al (Australia)*

* Al Ramsay was selected for the 2009 Class, but will officially be enshrined in 2010.

Reply #286628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate to "rain on the parade", and I am involved with the Tigers, but I also hate nepotism in the sport of basketball, where parents get in a position of power and make sure their kids get preferential treatment.
What I have always wondered is, was Lindsay Gaze the founding father of nepotism in the sport of basketball too? Because if he was, he's done no one any favours in that regard.
Was Andrew really that good? Or did he just get such a good leg up at the right times? How many other guards from that time with real potential, missed out because of that preferential treatment?

Reply #286654 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Yes, Andrew was really that good.

Reply #286658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Andrew was really that good, how come he didn't cut it on the international stage.
Like Andrew Bogut now can (if he's fit).

Reply #286660 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anon - you are a moron.

Andrew Gaze is arguably the greatest basketballer this country has ever produced.

He played college ball taking his team to the national championship game, played in Europe and also in the NBA. He carried the Boomers on the world and Olympic stage for well over a decade and took the Melbourne Tigers to the pinnacle.

He will eventually also be enshrined not only in the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame, but the FIBA one as well.

Reply #286694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if that's the best you can come up with by way of discussion, then you are probably just another part of the problem, that see's basketball languish in this country, when it should be doing so much better.
Anyone who finds it necessary to attack anyone with an opposing view (or even a suggestion, in this case) generally has NO INTEGRITY.
But you should do a good job as a basketball administrator though ;-)
I'll recommend you for my local club.

Reply #286763 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Saying Andrew Gaze didn't cut it on the international stage is just plain rediculous. apart from his NBL accololades, some of which I have outlined below, he has an imposing international list of achievements as well, the best being at Olympic and World Championship level.

Here are just a sample of the facts:

- NBL Rookie of the year 1984 at age 18, averaging 29.1ppg
- NBL leading scorer 14 times
- Scored 18,908 points in the NBL over 612 games in a 22-season span at an average of 30.9ppg
- 2 NBL titles (1993 & 1997)
- NBL MVP a record 7 times - the award is now named after him!
- Australian International Player of the Year in 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998 & 2000
- NBL Most Efficient Player award every year from 1990 to 1997.
- All-NBL First Team 14 times
- Voted the NBL's greatest ever player in 2003
- In 1989 played NCAA Division 1 for Seton Hall, losing in the National Championship game in overtime to Michigan
- Played for Italian club Udine, averaging more than 30ppg
- In 1993-94 he played seven games for the Washington Bullets in the NBA
- In 1998-99 he played with the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA, winning a Championship ring
- Represented Australia in 307 international games
- Only 3rd basketball player in history to play at 5 Olympic Games
- Led the Boomer's to 4th placings at Olympics in 1988, 1996, 2000
- Flag-bearer for the Australian team at the opening ceremony at the 2000 Sydney Olympics
- He is the scoring record holder in Olympic basketball competition
- Played in 4 World Championships
- He is the second-highest scorer of all-time in World Championships competition
- In 1991, named as one of the 50 greatest players of all time by FIBA
- Retired from professional basketball after 20 years 612 games in the NBL
- In 2002 awarded an AM for his massive contribution to sport in this country.
- Currently coaches juniors at Melbourne Tigers
- Sits on Board of Basketball Australia since 2008
- Chair of Basketball Australia’s Honours and Awards Commission
- Media commentator and personality

Need any more facts anonymous one?

Reply #286767 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If Andrew was really that good, how come he didn't cut it on the international stage.

hmm

- Australian International Player of the Year in 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998 & 2000
- In 1989 played NCAA Division 1 for Seton Hall, losing in the National Championship game in overtime to Michigan
- Played for Italian club Udine, averaging more than 30ppg
- In 1993-94 he played seven games for the Washington Bullets in the NBA
- In 1998-99 he played with the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA, winning a Championship ring
- Represented Australia in 307 international games
- Only 3rd basketball player in history to play at 5 Olympic Games
- He is the scoring record holder in Olympic basketball competition
- Played in 4 World Championships
- He is the second-highest scorer of all-time in World Championships competition
- In 1991, named as one of the 50 greatest players of all time by FIBA

Seems like he mastered it at the international stage.

Reply #286770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it's good to see you have got back to trying to address the argument rather than pathetically trying to attack the person.
There really seems to be an Andrew Gaze "love-in" going on here, and I suppose thats fine. But when I see (or read) people with the blinkers on it just reminds me too much of my ex wife so I really have to ask some more questions.
But before I do, for your information, I am a long time Melbourne Tigers supporter - and my kids play rep for Melbourne Tigers - and Andrew has been a neighbour of mine and I think he's a great bloke and have no problems with him personally.
I am also really impressed with how he still takes the time to coach a rep team in our club - along with his father.

However, my first point still stands, was he and his father the harbringers of the father son nepotism that riddles our sport today and drags it down from what we could be achieving - especially in the mens side.

Then you went on to talk about how great he was on the world stage.
While there is no doubt he is head and shoulders above the rest of what Australian men's basketball achieved during that time - he is still a minnow on the world stage - and that's by his own admission too.
He also got given every possible opportunity via his father and his mates - and with that sort of support - how many others could have been just as great if not better? - and who might have missed out as a result?

Then I asked the question about his performance on the international stage - say compared to Andrew Bogut - and you have taken the time (or was it just copy and paste?) to provide this;
- NBL Rookie of the year 1984 at age 18, averaging 29.1ppg (world?)
- NBL leading scorer 14 times (world?)
- Scored 18,908 points in the NBL over 612 games in a 22-season span at an average of 30.9ppg (world?)
- 2 NBL titles (1993 & 1997) (world?)
- NBL MVP a record 7 times - the award is now named after him! (world?)
- Australian International Player of the Year in 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998 & 2000 (world?)
- NBL Most Efficient Player award every year from 1990 to 1997. (world?)
- All-NBL First Team 14 times (world?)
- Voted the NBL's greatest ever player in 2003 (world?)
- In 1989 played NCAA Division 1 for Seton Hall, losing in the National Championship game in overtime to Michigan (he was 25 years old then playing against college age players)
- Played for Italian club Udine, averaging more than 30ppg (don't know about this - was it division 1 ?)
- In 1993-94 he played seven games for the Washington Bullets in the NBA (7 games?)
- In 1998-99 he played with the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA, winning a Championship ring (while he got a ring - by his own admission he hardly got on the court)
- Represented Australia in 307 international games (in an average team)
- Only 3rd basketball player in history to play at 5 Olympic Games (in an average team)
- Led the Boomer's to 4th placings at Olympics in 1988, 1996, 2000 (in an average team - although 4th place isn't too bad and is probably the pinacle of his achievments)
- Flag-bearer for the Australian team at the opening ceremony at the 2000 Sydney Olympics (world?)
- He is the scoring record holder in Olympic basketball competition (in a lesser team)
- Played in 4 World Championships (in an average team)
- He is the second-highest scorer of all-time in World Championships competition (in an average team)
- In 1991, named as one of the 50 greatest players of all time by FIBA (in an average team)
- Retired from professional basketball after 20 years 612 games in the NBL (world?)
- In 2002 awarded an AM for his massive contribution to sport in this country. (world?)
- Currently coaches juniors at Melbourne Tigers
- Sits on Board of Basketball Australia since 2008 (world?)
- Chair of Basketball Australia's Honours and Awards Commission (world?)
- Media commentator and personality (world?)

And you love to go on with this anonymous crap - but what is so revealing about your LC title?

Reply #287229 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:23 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754