Curious
Years ago

BSA Youth League - any news?

We are nearing the end of the winter season and soon will see the new Youth League commence.

Has their been any further developments in this area:

Coaches
Approaches by clubs to fill teams

I also refer to the following extract from the BSA letter announcing the Youth League:

"Basketball SA appreciates concerns surrounding the removal of the Under 20/21 competitions and will work with clubs to ensure a smooth transition of players in these competitions into the Youth League."

It is six weeks since this was announced. Is anyone aware of what BSA has done with the clubs to ensure a smooth transition! Many of my friends moving from U18's are still mulling over whether to continue playing or not and I would like to know what is being done to ensure these players do not move on.

Topic #23755 | Report this topic

annon  
Years ago

Do we know where they will be played.

Surely if it is the "Premier" youth league BSA has so desired, it needs to be played out of Wayville,Pasadena, DOME and other home venues to allow players,parents,supporters to play games at home and allow clubs to raise increased revenue from canteen,bar and the odd meal

Reply #288632 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

I would expect the Youth League to be played where the Div 2 and U20/21 Div 1 were played (3 courts at the Dome, and 1 court at Pasadena, Port Adelaide and Morphett Vale on Tuesdays.
Wayville is full of social competition (5 games on court 1 - BasketballSA is unlikely to throw out an established competition with 10 teams playing for another with 6 (8) teams playing. Other courts at Wayville also full on Tuedsday night)

Reply #288635 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

I hope you are wrong CJ. Nothing turns me off playing basketball more than to continually play at away stadiums where there is no incentive or club feeling in hanging around at M/V or Pasadena.

Do we need to use 3 courts at the Dome. The middle court in a 3 court configuration is hopeless from a coaching and viewing perspective. How about using the two outside courts and have a few seats along the side of these courts by the middle court.

Reply #288638 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Further to above I would prefer to play at Marion or Hillcrest rather than the middle court at the Dome

Reply #288639 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

How many division are being run....and are the lower divs playing on a wednesday night.Rather be at Pas M/Vale Wayville than any of the other oversized tin sheds, at least these 3 stadiums have decent facilities and floors.

Reply #288644 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Some clubs may have up to 8 to 10 teams .You can't expect these guys and gals to play away from home like the U20/21 this year.

What is the value of being a member fo a club if you dont play at home nor train there?

As parents why they dont go anymoe to these games.Sure kids are older and can get themselves there, but some would love to have a drinks, go to a canteen stocked with a decent coffee and refreshments.

I have been to some stadiums where they dont even open the canteen

If BSA wants this to succeed, they have to make a tough call on "oldies" running on the best courts.

They (BSA) wanted the Under23 YL, now they have to use the best stadiums to make it work.

Reply #288657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA will not move established competitions out of stadiums to suit a district competition.

The stadiums are run by BSA for all basketballers not just district players. District teams get right of way on Friday nights and Saturday mornings already. Mid-week has been established as the time when those mums & dads, ex-district players, general fans and wannabe basketballers get their chance to play the game they love.

The stadiums do not belong to the clubs and they shouldn't get right of way for this joke of a competition.

The issue is why do we have such small and out-dated facilities in Adelaide? That is an arguement I for one am willing to have against BSA. Their lack of management both in numbers and ability as well as their bare bones cheap stadium management sturctures have left us in this situation.

BSA and before them BASA should have been aggresively working with councils to build and fill bigger better stadiums across Adelaide. Wayville should not be only 3 courts, Marion should have been replaced 15 years ago, same with Hillcrest, even Pasadena is clearly cheap and too small and antiquated for what it needs to be.

Does BSA even have a staff member looking at stadiums and how they run and how to improve them or build new ones? If not why not? They talk about wanting to build the sport with this Under 23 comp and with clubs running domestic competitions but without court space where are these new teams/players going to play? Windsor Gardens? No wonder the sport is dying at grassroots level in this state while it booms everywhere else.

Reply #288662 | Report this post

CJ  
Years ago

If I remember correctly, Div 2 Men & Women will play Monday, All Youth League divisions will play Tuesday, ans all Div 3, 4 & 5 Men & Women will play Wednesday.
I know from comments players in U20 /21 made this year, they did not feel they were part of the club.
I do not see U23 improving that feeling.

Reply #288672 | Report this post

eddie expert  
Years ago

most clubs have huge numbers of players eligible and wanting to play under 23's, problem is no coaches!! cant wait for the first div 4 U23 game with two teams of 18-19-20 year olds, both with no coach, and poor umpiring and a huge all in brawls start. this will happen, you have read it here first.

Reply #288674 | Report this post

Coaching?  
Years ago

Has anyone any news of who will be coaching the various U23 sides? I have not heard anything?

Reply #288677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better still eddie - one team of 17/18 yo taking on 21/22 yo in a low division and things get out of hand.

Reply #288678 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

# 288662

What are you on?????

If BSA or BASA had let some clubs run the stadiums like they have been requesting for many years ,they could have been concentrating on your "blast"

Some clubs could have and should have been doing their own thing to run stadiums,pay a rate back to BSA and then they could concentrate on removing "tin sheds" with terrible lighting and floors at MArion and Hillcrest.

if you feel so "up in arms" get on the vacant position on the Commission and have your input in trying to fix something.

My concern is that the next group of social players ( ie Under 23) should have preference over some of the current teams playing at Wayville and Pasadena as they will pull more revenue for BSA and the clubs.

U23 is proving to be a nightmare for finding coaches, venues to train, team managers and I would imagine given the current umpiring at all levels, umpiring.

Nearly time to sweep the BSA management out and get some that might actually
1) Communciate ( when was the last newsletter?)
2) Be seen at stadiums seeing first hand what is happening
3) detailing their results on their major cashcow

Understand this, the way the competiton is being run now, with promo/rel in Summer, a move for lower divisons to inept stadiums like Marion LC and alike and the total blindness towards anything lower than State,SASI and Div 1/2 is killing "grassroots" basketball.

I will wait to see if they do anything.They have promised to do something with ABA as well, but that wont happen.

I dare you to nominate

Reply #288682 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

# 288662

What are you on?????

If BSA or BASA had let some clubs run the stadiums like they have been requesting for many years ,they could have been concentrating on your "blast"

Some clubs could have and should have been doing their own thing to run stadiums,pay a rate back to BSA and then they could concentrate on removing "tin sheds" with terrible lighting and floors at MArion and Hillcrest.

if you feel so "up in arms" get on the vacant position on the Commission and have your input in trying to fix something.

My concern is that the next group of social players ( ie Under 23) should have preference over some of the current teams playing at Wayville and Pasadena as they will pull more revenue for BSA and the clubs.

U23 is proving to be a nightmare for finding coaches, venues to train, team managers and I would imagine given the current umpiring at all levels, umpiring.

Nearly time to sweep the BSA management out and get some that might actually
1) Communciate ( when was the last newsletter?)
2) Be seen at stadiums seeing first hand what is happening
3) detailing their results on their major cashcow

Understand this, the way the competiton is being run now, with promo/rel in Summer, a move for lower divisons to inept stadiums like Marion LC and alike and the total blindness towards anything lower than State,SASI and Div 1/2 is killing "grassroots" basketball.

I will wait to see if they do anything.They have promised to do something with ABA as well, but that wont happen.

I dare you to nominate

Reply #288683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon get your facts right.

Only 1 club in Adelaide still wants to run a stadium although I'm not sure why BSA should just give a club a stadium anyway.

Clubs will not be able to run stadiums and I can assure you they would be in worse condition then they are now if clubs were handed control.

Reply #288690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What makes you think district basketball makes more money then social?

Reply #288691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - 690: What? would be worse? Does that mean Hillcrest would be down to zero courts??

Reply #288697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So clubs pay a rate to BSA to run stadiums, BSA pay a rate to the stadium mgmt, stadmium mgmt pay a rate to the owners, owners pay a rate to the banks. Everyone makes a cut and costs go up.

Clubs need to partner with schools. Get the schools running venues in off peak times IE when school runs and then CLUBS lease the stadiums directly to the schools. BSA can lease the stadiums off the clubs on Friday nights and saturday mornings. Get rid of the "middle men".

Reply #288700 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

I have also learnt BASA want minimum 8 player teams to short circuit the number of Forfeits.Not too bad an idea.

Reply #288706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#700 that's a nice system you listed there. Must have taken you hours to create it.

Clubs don't pay BSA to run venues. BSA run BSA venues so they don't pay themselves. BSA pay a lease to the councils or DECS or Royal Showgrounds.

That's it.

So BSA run the competitions in their own stadiums and pay a lease to the owner of the building.

Kind of simple already really.

Reply #288722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let me try to understand the attraction of this.

Some clubs having up to 8 teams.

No coaches

Limited venues - no home club feeling

Tuesday nights!!!

Next we will be broken up into North/South or East/West or S/E-N/W etc etc and up up playing our clubmates most of the time.

Me thinks lower U23 divisions is not as attractive as Social Bball

Reply #288792 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

If some clubs have 8 teams get used to playing your clubmates because there aren't going to be 8 divisions.

Interesting (if it is true) that BSA want 8 player teams because they recently cut the number of players that can be on the scoresheet from 12 to 10. This makes it harder to run a larger squad if everyone happens to be available one night. It's easy to have eight names on a sheet of paper at the start of the season, it doesn't mean that they will be there at the end of the season though. It's hard to have everyone turn up every week in June & July when the 'flu kicks in, there are exams, etc.

A lot of the forfeits have been caused by teams being caught out by changes to player eligibility rules. There have been a number of games played where the result has been scrubbed due to ineligible players

Reply #288939 | Report this post

I AS TLALI TSHOKOLO GODFREY FROM FREE STATE I AM TURNING 22YRS THISE YEAR.IN FREE STATE WE HAVE MISLEADING OF OUR HEAD OFFICE AND OTHER MANAGEMENT IN OUR SIDE.WHEN COMING TO BSA LEAGUE WE ARE NOT INFORMED THAT THERE ARE GAMES/LEAGUE THAT IS RUNNING OUT AND WE HAVE POTENTIAL PLAYERS IN FREE STATE AND OTHER THING IS THAT WE ARE THE CITIZENSHIPS OF S.A BUT WHEN COMING TO SELECTIONS OF PLAYERS THEY GO TO BLOEMFONTEIN AND WELKOM ONLY.SO I WAS JUST ASKING THAT WE HAVE TO BE SHUTED OUT LIKE THAT AND OTHER THING IS BECAUSE WE ARE FROM BAD BACK-ROUND WE DON'T KNOW BUT THIS THING SHOULD BE STOPED I BELIVE THAT EVERYTHING WILL BE SORTED OUT.THANKS A LOT AS YOUR GOING TO WORK ON IT.

Reply #308126 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

CAN SOMEONE PULEESE INTERPRET?

Reply #308134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is Hoops South Australia, not hoops south africa

Reply #308137 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754