Anonymous
Years ago

Academy MVP

Brad Gerlach last night won the inaugural Brett Maher Medal for MVP of the Stamford Grand Basketball Academy.

MAtt Sutton won the Bernie Lewis Memorial Award for Most Improved.

Topic #2392 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

good nite, well done to gerlach and sutton well deserved. good to see various people from different clubs hanging out together. tanya maher and vanessa lewis presenting trophies was a nice touch.

highlight was kb on the dance floor!

who was the silliest drunk?

Reply #26818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what happens with academy group now?

is a new group picked for next season?

one particular player,not in the academy is out playing a lot of academy players. Not hard to work out who that is!! Is it only past state players that get a look in!!

Reply #26823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cant beleive boguts signed aussie t-shirt only went for $800. Bargain!

Reply #26824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as far as i know, ninnis monitors aba season and a new academy is picked at end of that, after talking with head coaches and looking at stats etc.

Reply #26825 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

What is the minium age for players to get selected for this academy side? And what is the maximum age limit to players?

Just out of interest my opinion is it should be 17- 20 no older than 20 years old, and they should go out to some schools promoting the game to as many kids doing Aussie hoops programs

Can someone please tell me what the purpose for this academy side is? And are they doing any junior basketball promotions such as Aus hoops in schools to help increase the diminishing interest in the sport? And where do this years intake go? Back to ABA, is there any other succession plan in place to for this group of players?

Reply #26849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stupid suggestion re academy guys goin to schools etc - whole purpose is to fit their training commitments like individuals around their study and work commitments - doin clinics and goin to schools is the role of professional players whos time can be accounted for.

As far as this year's academy goes, some may stay in it if coaches feel that their attitude and work ethic etc this year warrants it.
Some will move on because of age, or through not being selected again because form in aba does not warrant it and they have to be replaced by other candidates.

17-23 is fair enough age group as it caters for the different development and growth spurt levels of players.

Reply #26857 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Fair enough so a talented player with 'basketball credibility' should have to do a two hours Aus hoops clinic twice a week that will untimely help in promoting the game that is in desperate need of exposure and financial support? These are the guys that have to give a little bit back in odd way, like doing a few basketball clinics for kids for free.

Basketball has to expand it's product and get the brand in children's minds and every one has to do there little bit, ABA players, the basketball academy, the lightning girls, the 36ers and even NBA players (of course in America) but at every single level of basketball everyone has to do there bit to increase exposure.

Marketing the sport of basketball is more than just a few posters and stickers and expect kids to scream to mum and dad take me to a game of basketball. It is about showing them that the game is fun and exciting to play and watch as well as being personal with them so they can have a local hero hence the academy guys getting out to local schools and personally inviting them to watch them play in a ABA game.

Sure the 36ers that have a bit more time and resources should do it and hopefully are doing it but time should not be a factor in deciding who can and cannot sell the message. Talent dose and if they are passing them selves of as a basketball academy then they should have some talent for the game.

Reply #26858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forbes500 this is just not the role of the academy. It cant be doing everything and anything. Your points are good but this is the role of the clubs and some of the academy guys do Aussie Hoops as well as study, play basketball, academy and whatever else but this is done through their clubs.

Reply #26859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS: It was a GREAT night. Bell and & Ninnis are doing a great job for basketball. They promote things and get it done. Well done.

Reply #26860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the winners make speeches? isnt that an aspect that the academy will be developing, ie media interviews. Would be interested to know how they spoke if at all.

Reply #26893 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #26895 | Report this post

hillcrest sux  
Years ago

I agree far. With all respect to the 6ers admin. Paul and bellie could do a far better job. They should partake in a buyout of the nbl license for adelaide. i 4 1 would back it. Who else would. Bring the license down to marion rd where it belongs. Scott thur will play nbl and jb will do it 2.

Seriously well done guys for a good nite from wot ive heard. Wish i was there was it good? by all accounts it was. do it again soon and maybe if ur lucky ill duk mi head in. ok bye

Reply #26917 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Forbes500, if you did your research correctly you would have found out that Matt Sutton is the JDO now for Forestville and does do the Aussie Hoops clinics and has been involved in them for a few years now.

Reply #26997 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:52 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754