XztatiK
Years ago

The Annual "First Import Sacked" Thread

We've generally been pretty accurate the last few years, so ignoring the two that have already left us, who do you think will be first cut?

In order of most to least likely to be sacked, I'll go:

Will Blalock - Spud city so far.
Eric Devendorf - Unless he's a budget buy.
Taj McCullough - just based on his sub-par numbers so far.
Kevin Braswell - Will be gone if Penney returns based on Wilkinson's form. They went on a great run with Braswell last year, supposedly due to his defence and intangibles but I still don't rate him all that highly.
TJ Campbell
Troy DeVries
James Maye
Dave Gruber - budget
Rod Grizzard
Gary Wilkinson - looks a keeper.
Gabe Freeman - would've had him higher up before two huge pre-season games.
Kevin Lisch
Ayinde Ubaka - star
Craig Winder - star
Gary Ervin - star

Topic #23933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont know much about ervin and winder. will they be like homicde and mckee stats wise? also what are their mvp chances like? also how do people rate the crocs pg?

Reply #290915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe Blalock, but I doubt any of the others are going anywhere in a hurry.

Reply #290916 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Braswell. Just because I have Penney in Fantasy

Reply #290918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Penney too but I've never really fantasised about him.

Reply #290920 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

X - may as well judt post the entire spraedsheet....

:)

Reply #290926 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I'll lock in Arizona Reid, followed closely by Bennett Davison...

But after them, I can't really see anyone else being released during the season.
Devendorf might have an off-field issue and get released for that, but don't think he will from a playing standpoint.
Blalock was useless against us, but seems to have improved a bit since then. They probably knew when they got him that he wouldn't be a big scorer. If it gets closer to the playoffs and someone who's going to make a difference comes on the market, he might be dropped.

From DeVries upwards on that list, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't play out the season barring injury or off-field. McCullough should be worth keeping too. We kept Groves all last year, so DeVries could spud it up and we will still keep him. He won't, but it wouldn't matter if he did.

Braswell still fits even if Penney stays doesn't he?

Perth will almost definitely release Trueman or Tovey later in the season for an import. They will wait until the salary cap allows them to play another import, then bring them in. It's the only reason I can see for them carrying the 2 guys this season when they have something like 8 points sitting there.

Reply #290929 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

Trueman has to stay with the Cats due to him being their u23 player! It would be Tovey/Williamson that would be released if they do chase an import!

Reply #291027 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Fair enough.
I thought Weigh was still U23?

Reply #291034 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

you may as well place gruber at the bottom of that list. he aint going no where, especially since his citizenship is due to come out during this season

Reply #291116 | Report this post

gavmiester  
Years ago

Nothing to contribute, but Im sworn to say "shoot ze glass" every time Gruber's name is mentioned. :)

Reply #291140 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

And the winner is....

Bennett Davison according to Boti today:

Gold Coast cut ageing Bennett Davison to make way for Mark Worthington so the Blaze only will go with American small forward James Maye. Reigning champion Perth also has just one import, Kevin Lisch, but has left itself room to add another, as per 2010.

Reply #291421 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

or were you not counting him? At a closer look, it seems this post was started after wortho signed...

My Bad.

Been away, and out of the loop :-)

Reply #291422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coopz, yes, oldish news. Was in the firing line, rumour goes, for being in 'holiday mode' at trainings.

Boti's rated Blalock and Freeman as possibly the top pairing in the league (or at least maybe the most complementary to their team?) yet Blalock is top on X's list and would probably be top on mine too.

I wonder about Braswell, but the Breakers did fight pretty hard to keep him from going to another team in need of a PG.

Reply #291435 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

Cheers Isaac, taking a while to get my head back around all the NBL news of late, as I was in New York for the US Open then stayed on for a holiday for a couple of weeks. Only just looking at the import pairings in depth this week for the first time.

Should be interesting to see who was the best buy, and whether any of them are potential NBL-career length players who might stay her for good...

Reply #291548 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:32 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754