Sam
Years ago

If the opposition scores a 100 (New Rule)

I want a new rule if a team scores a 100 against you. That team is dropped to a lower division. The U14 results are crazy. Sturt scores a 113 in Div 1. Western Magic have two teams top of 3A with a percentage of 345%. Surely if a team scores a 100 against you at this age it is pointless that team being in that division....Your thoughts

Topic #24240 | Report this topic

mystro  
Years ago

I wouldn't relegate them, instead make them buy the other teams players cheeseburgers

Reply #295327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball SA:

Phone: (08) 8345 8600

Instead of starting another thread about the same rubbish why don't you try contacting Basketball SA.

Reply #295329 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Yes, good idea. If the score is 101-100 both teams get dropped.

Reply #295330 | Report this post

Big_Marty  
Years ago

Terrible idea.

Instead of that, just do what most tiered leagues in other sports do. Relegate bottom 3/Promote top 3 teams at the end of each season.

Reply #295335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why do that? players go up and change teams after every season. maybe after the summer season review teams and maybe move some up or down. but if a teams flogging everyone else theyt should go up. those players arent going to improve as much and whats the point of flogging everyone every game

Reply #295343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt wont be beating these teams by 100 points in the winter. They will have lower winning margins, just look back in history

Reply #295344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, getting it back to 60-odd point margins is so much more respectable...

Reply #295349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old pro / rel argument for Div 1 and Div 2.

This is a DISTRICT competition at this level. Kids represent a DISTRICT area.

Div 1 would be pretty boring with Sturt 1 playing Sturt 2 in the boys grand final after Sturt 2 beat Sturt 3 in the semis. In the girls, how boring would it be with Forestville Blue playing Forestville Gold, playing Forestville White and Forestville Green, Forestville Pink, Forestville Mauve.

Keep Div 1 and 2 District based.

Reply #295360 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

I can't think of any age group where Sturt 1 would play Sturt 2 in a Div 1 grand final. Sturt 2 teams would be mid range at best in most age groups. Will all the drama queens please take it easy!!

Reply #295362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait til Sturt plunder South, Southern etc for some more talent to fill the gaps.

Lead to Sturt v Sturt GFs everywhere.

Reply #295363 | Report this post

Anonimouse  
Years ago

I agree with Sam's original post. I would like to look at the problem from the other side.....

How can teams justify staying in a div 1 competition if they have scored less than 50 points in 4 weeks of competition ?

They are clearly outclassed and should clearly be relegated to Division 2.

Take Souths U16G1 team for instance in the Under 16 girls- They nominated not to play in the Div 1 competion (causing a bye every week for another team...). At best they are at the lower end of the Div 2 competition, but seem to be enjoying winning the occasional game. Winning isn't everything in District basketball.

Reply #295515 | Report this post

Years ago

not just south in u16g2 - table tells no lies

Reply #295517 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

i can recall about 8-10 years ago when some clubs had 2 junior div 1 teams.

seeing everyone is talking sturt - i can recall both sturt div 1 teams were mid range one about 3rd - 4th and the other around 6th in a 10 team comp.

seem to recall that was the last time my kids team used to beat sturt in div1 - since it has gone 1 team we have had no show

Reply #295518 | Report this post

europa  
Years ago

About 6 or 7 years ago Norwood had two Div 1 teams in 16 Boys. After summer season the second side had to go down to div 2 (because of the rules, not performance), so a number of players left and went elsewhere to play div 1.

Reply #295529 | Report this post

Eagle Plucker  
Years ago

If a kid is desperate to play Div 1, they will go anywhere

Reply #295531 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

kid or parents desperate to play div 1 ??

Reply #295548 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Europa - that was Summer 2003/2004. Geez that brings back memories.

Reply #295550 | Report this post

Eagle Plucker  
Years ago

mainly parents, so they can brag to other parents over a coffee at Burnside Village

Reply #295553 | Report this post

Ceres 30  
Years ago

old timer, that was in Under 14 Boys in 2004. Sturt 1 was the team that had Daly and Warbout (who are now with the 36ers) and from memory they didn't lose a game that year in SA and medalled at nationals. Sturt 2 was the bottom agers that won the 14 Nationals the next year and they won a few games but finished mid to low table.

Reply #295582 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

no it wasn't that group

Reply #295599 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Mainly parents move because of the low quality coaching in my experience. Most clubs don't have enough coaches and some are of very poor quality.

Reply #295619 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

exactly sam - but it depends on the history.

some parents may be happy just with a coach that rolls up regularly.

others want SASI level coaching from volunteers that never get any lead from the club.

Reply #295621 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Old Timer

You are a wise man. The gap between good coaches and ordinary is way to large. If I was BBall SA.

I would only have four teams per age group. Div 1 -4 Call it the super league and direct all other kids to the Club run competition.

Reply #295746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fri 26/Nov 21
Woodville Warriors 1 def. by Sturt Sabres 1 142

Why are Woodville in div 1 ???

Reply #297657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they may develop perhaps - I see their U18's defeated Sturt on the same night

Reply #297667 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Should be div 1 relegation

Reply #297669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anthony, I don't think Sturt U18's Div 1 should be relegated simply coz they lost to Woodville. That is a bit harsh!!!

Reply #297670 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

If you SAW you would have looked at the ladder - second from the top is hardly a position for relegation - tool

Reply #297677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I did look at the ladder and if you cannot understand the comment then I guess you might not have been smart enough to go to schoolies to use that as an excuse.

They still lost to a club for which you have no respect. Just proving my point that all clubs have bad games and it is not just woodville who have struggled against Sturt. If you want to bring in such ludicrous rules then by the end of it Sturt might just be playing with themselves!!

Reply #297730 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Sturt might just be playing with themselves!!"

Faaark Me! Do you know how hard it is to bite a tongue........

Reply #297733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, Woodville is bottom. If you can't get within a 100 points in u14's you should be relegated. It's that simple. No good for kids development to be smashed every week.

This protection of underperforming clubs and teams is not good for anyone.

Reply #297737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at the U14 results and see how many teams are nearly as bad when compared to Sturt.

And yes Jack - I was being vague in my comment which means you can take it which ever way you think is most appropriate.

Reply #297740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better off with 8 teams in div 1 then and get rid of the underperformers....

Reply #297742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville people defending a 120 point losing margin by trying to compare teams "nearly as bad" is exactly why promotion/relegation should be enforced in every division, and as anon above said, preferably with 8 teams.
Clubs are in the main unable or unwilling to recognise that some teams are not of div 1 standard and would be better off in a lower division. I feel for these poor players whose club has exposed them to a level of competition which they are unprepared for.

Reply #297745 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Exactly my Point........

Well done Anonymous

Reply #297751 | Report this post

fringe dweller  
Years ago

having coached a side that was belted by NEARLY 100 points in my 2nd game at district level I was appalled at the antics of the opposition junior coach who's aim was to ensure that his team made the century, luckily this didn't happen after he had called a time out with a minute to go in the final quarter having pressed up for 95% of the game, as we resorted to foul tactics. What ever happened to the mercy rules and I don't just mean going back to a the 3 point line before defending. I'm talking about getting creative with your dominating side and getting them to work on those areas of weakness and I am sure there are some. eg, defensive foot work with out hands for deflections, min number of passes whilst running offenses. I can only hope the offending junior coach is in this for the right reasons and not personal gratification.
Bring in the mercy rule at say 50, enforce these stronger sides to adopt.
On another note,if your child can't make div 1 for one club then move to another, country kids/parents will travel hours upon hours to get their kids to play div 1. This may in turn lead to some improvement of the standard overall in light of the fact that zoning appears too difficult however would certainly make life easier for those clubs on the fringe.
Summer is the silly season and with the long break tends to put sides behind the 8 ball on the comeback. So enforce the mercy rule during this season and allow the teams to sort themselves out.

Reply #301998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754