Nate
Years ago

Tigers considering Homicide?

Just saw this article, interesting read... lucky for their imports having a decent showing in their last game they may be safe for now, but you'd have to think with an 0-4 start to the season maybe it's time for a change - but bring back Julius, really?? After his twitter post basically calling himself Superman would you really want to bring him back? It's not like he helped them win last season!

Thoughts people?

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/basketball/3051-melbourne-tigers-linked-to-homicide

Topic #24255 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Tigers should stick with Campbell as he has impressed in his last 2 games - not so conviced about Devendorf.

Reply #295593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's Back Page Linkbait - take it with a grain of salt. The only link to Hodge there was Hodge tweeting. And the big thing about Homicide to take from that article was that they probably weren't unhappy with their current PG.

Reply #295595 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

I hope they dump there imports and get Homicide and Hodge. Sure would be fun to watch.

Reply #295600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No shooting then TJ Campbell has a nice stroke. They only have Bennie Lewis with a decent 3 ball if they get homicide and julius. Homicide should replace devendorf. Then TJ wont have as much pressure getting the ball past half court.

Reply #295601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they will be over the cap by signing both julius and homocide

Reply #295605 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

id love hodge to come back and play for melbourne. it will really bring that spark back, the man we all love to hate, even though we lost against them at the dome, the atmosphere was unbelievable that game

Reply #295606 | Report this post

dave  
Years ago

I think if Hodge returned, this would be awesome for the Adelaide V Melbourne rivalry. If Corey was to play for Melbourne, the spotlight is all on him, and him alone. They make the playoffs with Homicide, its cos Homicide got them there. If they made the playoffs with Hodge, he was a small contributing factor.

I guess the other question is, how many points left does Melbourne have before its over its points cap and salary cap?

Reply #295609 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, you're forgetting Corletto who can shoot the three.

Reply #295615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares - why would melb want hodge or homicide?

neither are a good fit for the tigers..

Reply #295637 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

They would be a better fit that the 3 slow dumbos. They would lift the tempo of the tigers game which is what they need.

Reply #295648 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Tigers considering homicide? I guess it makes a change to the suicide they've committed so far this season.

Reply #295650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Herald Sun has reported that the tigers are leaning towards Donta Smith as the preferred option for the tigers.

Reply #295653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

campbell and devendorf were the tigers best two players on sunday night, it seems ridiculus to be cutting either one of them.

as for the 'three slow dumbos' comment, i think you may be forgetting the tigers are without tommy greer who should come back in at the 3 spot.

greer will without a doubt lift the intensity and also give the tigers another bloke who can dribble the ball against the extended pressure, rather than having the ball in burston or helliwells hands in the back court.

Reply #295656 | Report this post

Dan  
Years ago

Hey Anon, I agree tommy will bring some spark depending on if he is 100% or not.

Donta would be a great fit. Would love to see him with the tigers. Id cut devendorf over TJ

Reply #295659 | Report this post

SixerFan  
Years ago

How much better would Tigers be with Winder and DeVries??

Reply #295662 | Report this post

From memory he is a 3 man who can play the 4 at a pinch. So if Donta comes in for Devendorf, they are still a very unbalanced and now short handed at the 1/2 spots. They cant fix anything properly without unloading Helliwell as and using his $$$ to fill some backcourt holes. The easiest fix is to dump Devendorf and Helliwell. That should leave enough $$$$ for an upgrade at the 2 to a defensive minded player with a decent shooting game. Ideally one who can play the 3 as well so Corletto can get some time.Then pick up a cheap backup PG. Play Trigger only at 4 or 5 when you go small, never play Burston & Nevill together except when you have an absolute foul crisis and you now have a decent team who can give you a couple of different looks.
As for the Homicide Hodge talk, I'd love to see it in action. They will score plenty in transition, but once they get caught in the half court the only defender outside the paint will be the one guarding Corletto or Greer if one of them is on the court.

Reply #295663 | Report this post

Devries would be a good fit at the Tigers. Winder not so sure as yet.
On another note, I think this is the best measure of how bad the Tigers are going. Tommy Greer being hailed as someone who will turn a teams fortunes. Solid player but a saviour, hardly.

Reply #295664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tommy greer is the type of player who can change a teams fortunes.

any team would be better off with tommy on the roster. he hustles, he crashes boards, he can shoot, he can play a variety of positions and defend a variety of positions.

you just said that burston and nevill shouldn't be playing at the same time, which is correct.

greer in the line up allows this to happen. it pushes trigger to the 4 spot and balances out the whole team.

the shuffle offence is useless with the big blokes on the perimeter, with greer in the feeder position the tigers will be so much better.

Reply #295666 | Report this post

R.P  
Years ago

and how can you say that tigers need shooters? the game on sunday night showed off devendorfs automatic threepoint shot and pull-up jumper, and showed the TJ can hit shots from anywhere, this topic shouldnt even have come up, why take a struggling teams 2 best players?

Reply #295667 | Report this post

taibu  
Years ago

get rid of devondorf, seriously who wants a white american import?

Reply #295674 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

get rid of devondorf, seriously who wants a white american import?

the Breakers.

Reply #295675 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Devendorf is believed to be on a 'no cut' contract.

The guy starred when he was the most hated player in college basketball. Maybe he is just trying to get us all to hate him.

Reply #295687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"no cut" contract - I knew there was a reason he never cuts to the hoop - jump shots only hey!!

Reply #295689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Devendorf the Tigers' best player? You do realise there are two ends of the court, and he is shooting 33% at the one end he does play?

Reply #295693 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

paul, al westover said it himself, campbell and devendorf were the tigers two best players on sunday night.

it would be stupid to cut them after 4 games considering they have'nt played with a full team in one of them.

i do have a suggestion though, if the guards are the problem, why isn't quafow getting minutes. he can handle the ball and he brings pace and intensity. the later two seem to be much needed.

Reply #295697 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Al is the guy who created this unbalanced team, right?

I certainly wouldnt cut Campbell, but Devendorf isnt the right fit, he is unpredictable on offence and lazy on defence. Some teams can cover those things but Melbourne absolutely cannot.

Reply #295721 | Report this post

Skudded  
Years ago

"get rid of devondorf, seriously who wants a white american import?"

Ballinger, Rychart, Redhage and I have a shocking memory Im sure theres plenty more

Reply #295749 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

paul, i am sure the teams balance will be alot better when tommy returns to the starting line up pushing trigger to the 4.

i am sure al knows what he is doing.

Reply #295752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ballinger, Rychart, Redhage and I have a shocking memory Im sure theres plenty more"

Kevin Delicious?

Reply #295754 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

and Troy DeVries ?

Reply #295756 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

White American imports: Scott Fisher, Paul Maley, Tim Dillon, Chris Jent...just to name a few more.

Reply #295757 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Rickert, Burgess, Calvary...

Reply #295760 | Report this post

Skudded  
Years ago

"and Troy DeVries ?"

I dont mind that I missed the others..but I really should have got this one LOL

Reply #295763 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A.W, I agree that the team will be much better with Greer and Walker in the lineup, but I still dont think Devendorf is what they need. A veteran who can handle, shoot and defend is what they need.

Al's a great guy and he has done some really good things as a coach, but just like playing Barlow as a PG two seasons ago, he has gambled with an unconventional line-up and got it wrong.

Reply #295768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And Burgess dominated!

Reply #295786 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Troy is so loved we don't even regard him as an import.

Reply #295790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754