Imnoballer
Years ago

New rules - get the coaches and officials updated

Eltham/Dandenong tourny just gone

Amazing to see how many refs, coaches and parents havent been told or read the rulebook changes

Worst example seen over the weekend - Junior ref having to explain cross-court rules to senior ref and one team coach in U16 girls game, one side knew the rules (inc. parents) the other side (inc. parents) didnt, and to stop the game for 2 minutes to explain seemed absurd.

It took me (a parent) less than 1/2 an hour to read the changes and a few more minutes to fully understand them - surely clubs can make sure their coaches and officials are all updated for a smoother run game.

Topic #24859 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw a few instances where the ball wasn't advanced up the floor on timeouts late in the game, leading to some frustrated coaches who knew the rule.

Having said that, I thought the refereeing standard was in general pretty good (for A-grade) at the tournament.

Reply #306387 | Report this post

Imnoballer  
Years ago

To anon reply#387

No arguments here - reffing was great in A grade
we had 3 refs for all games except finals (in 18s)

speaking of finals - SO SO HOT - saw a lot of dehydrated players - so unnecessary

Congrats to all winners and runners-up

Reply #306393 | Report this post

trouble is - sunday was woefully hot - we had refs doing their best - but they just let the game roll on - fouls let go, lead refs calling from foul line extended, violations ignored - certainly things we had called friday did not exist sunday.

i take my hat off to them - for committing, as with the players - they were off in the heat as well.

another thing with any big tournament - particularly with the grades lower than championship - you may get a mini ball ref or a veteran. At least we get refs - tourney years ago - each team / club had to supply.

I feel sa is ahead not allowing zones below u14s - fair enough you can beat a sa team by playing a zone - and a zone has it's place in the game. But it makes the game far more appealing and involving with our by law.

Reply #306415 | Report this post

and no 24 second timing attempts will throw a SA team by hanging on to it.

Reply #306417 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

Coaches that play a zone for U14 and below should be ashamed, they do it because their teams can't play man and they don't really want to teach it. Or they want to cheat on the game. Develop the players, play a man defense.
With the rules, the amount of refs below A grade that didn't know the simplest of rules were astounding:
eg- Points disallowed on a shot attempt with offensive foul call.
Backcourt ruling
the advancing of the ball as mentioned above.
Foot violations, only a seemingly delibrate attempt is a foot violation, not accidental contact.
The calling of a defensive foul because of contact through the chest, i;m referring to what should have been no calls. Not defensive fouls.

yet they don't seem to even bother to try and correct this, and being a ref myself, i can speak from first hand experience about the lack of teaching.

Reply #306421 | Report this post

Nolan Harcourt  
Years ago

The thing about zones below u/14s is the coaches are generally inexperienced and couldn't teach any other kind of D even if they wanted to. I have a vivid memory of a coach screaming at me to 'fall back' into a zone (as an U/8) but at the wrong end of the court. NFI.

Reply #306540 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Big D
Foot violations, only a seemingly delibrate attempt is a foot violation, not accidental contact.

A foot violation has to be a deliberate act. accidental or incident contact with the foot is not a violation.

Reply #306644 | Report this post

BigD  
Years ago

If you read what i said again i said it has to be seemingly delibrate lol

Reply #306673 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Because that's the rule

Reply #306828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754