anonomono
Years ago

old adelaide basketball stadiums

i was wondering if anyone had any photos to share of the old stadiums dotted around adelaide.

Unfortunately i was too young to experience the legend of these old stadiums but would love to see some pics.

Namely

Bowden
Forestville
Old morphett vale
Athol park
Elizabeth
Apollo
Sturt (colonel light gardens)

Thanks

Topic #25193 | Report this topic

tobacco road  
Years ago

dont forget noarlunga lesuire centre

Reply #311827 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Ring Forestville, they have a photo of the old stadium hanging in the bar area.I think they also have the old front door too......

Reply #311828 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Don't have any photos. But if you think of large tin sheds with three courts, a billion kids running around, three pinball machines, a bar, a canteen and an old lady on the door you've got it.

PS Don't forget Hillcrest.

Reply #311867 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Remember the step in front of the canteen at Bowden? When I started playing there I was so tiny I had to balance on the step just so the canteen lady could see me waiting! The counter at that canteen was seriously high.

Reply #311872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cue song "What about me:.

Reply #311889 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Gave you a great view of the lollies behind the glass though.

Reply #311895 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

what about the cement court 2 at forestville stadium !

and the sideline next to the court 1 grandstand with the dotted line because there was not enough room to stand out of bounds.

Reply #311896 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I still remember when Icees were the biggest thing ever to hit town. Mmmm. No wonder those kids were running around everywhere.....frozen sugar with red colouring in a cup.

Reply #311897 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I remember that stupid dotted sideline. Also remember going under the "big' grandstand looking for money that fell out of peoples pockets.

Reply #311899 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

i can recall playing and winning u12 church "champion of champions" on court 1 at forestville

Reply #311901 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

seem to recall west adelaide had a sponsored car that got around in the late 60s / early 70s.

recall seeing the car driven around with west adelaide basketball written on it.

is anyone with me on this ?

Reply #311903 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

No photos but arrhhh the memories.

Reply #311905 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

I have some photos of the old sturt stadium after it burnt....

Reply #311912 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

i dont have photo's but my parents have film of u12 grand final at athol park when i played for noarlunga aginst sturt. would of been around 1992. possibly photo's of forrestville years later for the state champs. Isaac I think your brother was playin for sturt in this game too.

Reply #311922 | Report this post

Anonomono  
Years ago

?,

You wouldnt be able to post those photos of the burnt-down stadium on here would you?

also

what were the addresses of the bowden, athol park and elizabeth stadiums?

thanks

Reply #311927 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , junior church finals on forrestville no.1 .
I think we did see Wests car running around, when we were kids.
Was it 13th Street Bowden ?
So long ago, so many games, too many stadiums.

Reply #311931 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

the bearcats car was a van or wagon and it said something like west adelaide junior basketball sponsored by smiths ????

Reply #311933 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

athol park was glenroy st

elizabeth was elizabeth way (not 100% sure there)

Reply #311934 | Report this post

tobacco road  
Years ago

try this one - i can recall going to appollo to see ernie sigley do his show live !

Reply #311944 | Report this post

I know  
Years ago

I use to get picked up from high school in that Smiths wagon with others from other schools to umpire at Bowden for school basketball.
Bowden, Athol Park & Apollo these were the stadiums I played in as a junior (Far out that makes me feel old)haha

Reply #311971 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yes Athol Park was Glenroy Street. Loved that place! Used to play church ball there....Good times.

Reply #311986 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Smiths of Port Adelaide I reckon. Big supporter of the fabled Bearcats.

Bearcats best v Sixers best anyone?

Probably get ugly because of the double ups, but any excuse to talk Westies for me.

Reply #312044 | Report this post

old bballer  
Years ago

I remember the portable U12 rings at Bowden. They used to roll them out down a step onto the far court. So unstable that one day one fell and landed on me!!
Still thought small lowered rings were gay, we had moved from country and we played on full size rings in U12;s in Whyalla!! High scoring games of 8pt to 10 were the go back then!!
Also loved the flip up seats on court 3 at Forrestville, if you were quick you could flip them down to land on them as you went out of court!!

Reply #312140 | Report this post

Avon Barksdale  
Years ago

Can anyone remember the signs that were on the walls that said stuff like "Defense equals offense" "play hard, Play as a team"

Loved that Bowden Bar!

Reply #312164 | Report this post

Avon Barksdale  
Years ago

Can anyone remember the signs that were on the walls that said stuff like "Defense equals offense" "play hard, Play as a team"

Loved that Bowden Bar!

Reply #312165 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754