Wotif
Years ago

What if Ninnis coached another year?

I wonder what this season's results would have been if Ninnis had been allowed to complete the second year of his two year contract.
.. SOS would have saved money as Clarke's salary would have far exceeded Ninnis'.
.. With Richard Hill not wanting to continue, Ninnis would have been free to get an experienced assistant. (eg a Guy Molloy type)
.. Burston would likely have been retained as a starting centre which would have allowed Ballinger to play as a PF.

I also wonder where we would have finished last year if Groves had not missed that open dunk with 20 secs left and 3 pts up which allowed NZ to level the score and win in OT.

Of course these things we will never know.

Topic #25198 | Report this topic

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

You're livin' in the past Marge, quit livin' in the past.

Reply #311911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have last year's championship assistant as assistant coach this year. We have had Ballinger at PF for recent years with limited success so I'm not sure why anyone would assume success this season doing a similar thing. (I did like Burston though.) Might've been more inclined to go harder for Schenscher (if he wanted to play for Ninnis - not sure he was eager?) but doubt much else would be different in terms of W-L.

There are further reasons why I think they were right to move Ninnis on, but I won't go into them here.

Reply #311972 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Don't know and don't care. That's old news; Ninnis is gone and so is Clarke.

One person coached and the team had their worst season ever, the new coach is trying to recover without bankrupting the team.

If Clarke was the coach last season, then we'd have to see if the result would have been the same. Keeping in mind that the import choices would have been different and that there would have been no injuries. Lineup would have been different probably.

Reply #311978 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wotif, Ninnis was in the second year of a three year contract FWIW, where the team was worse in the second year than the first. Gotta compare apples with apples.

Reply #311982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is basketball the only sport where players get so much say in who coaches?

Reply #312009 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Maybe if he stuck around a bit longer at trainings Isaac?

Reply #312046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually, Ninnis was in the first season of a two season contract. His earlier three year contract was with the previous administration, which was actually a completelely different legal entity. He signed a new 2 year deal with SOS when they took over.

Reply #312141 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

As a pedant myself, I appreciate your clarification and stand corrected.

Reply #312166 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:42 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754