Isaac
Years ago

Kings retain Robilliard as coach

The Board of the Sydney Kings has confirmed current Head Coach, Ian 'Moose' Robilliard, will coach the team for the 2011-2012 NBL season.

In an announcement made today, Sydney Kings’ Team Committee Chairman, Max Schroder, said that the Board had unanimously decided to renew Ian Robilliard’s contract for a second season to continue his success in what he described as a building year for the team.

"Moose had a very short time-frame to engage and train the Sydney Kings roster for the 2010-2011 season. The Board is of the opinion that he deserved an opportunity to build on the success he and the rest of the team fostered in the latter part of the current season," Mr Schroder said.
“A lesser coach, more focused on a trophy than having the determination to rebuild a club from scratch, and implement culture that is vital to the long-term success of the Sydney Kings, I doubt would have made the distance,” he added.
Full story

Topic #25203 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Shocker!!

Reply #312005 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I can't say I am surprised. I think he has met or exceeded all objective expectations given that he started the season with the Big Sneeze, and a bunch of ABA players and returned college kids, and two highly underperforming imports. No-one in their right minds would have predicted much better results for this club, which is now on a 7-10 win streak.

Reply #312007 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

I find it interesting to compare the season of the Kings with that of the Sixers.
They are almost the exact opposite of each other with the Kings clueless early but finishing very strong and the Sixers, after a respectable start, having the wheels fall completely off their little blue wagon.
Tactically, I'm not convinced Moose can coach at NBL level, but something has obviously happened within the playing group. Chemistry, belief and hunger for the contest. The Kings are a great example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Something the Sixers have been unable to achieve in recent seasons.

Reply #312020 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

What a joke!!
Cant coach ? and the pressure is off at the end of
the season because they cant make the playoffs.
Kings have been getting a lot of love from the referees and nbl of late to help them beat some teams .The 36ers were screwed.
Smart move by Turner who loves him ( I R ) to sign him before he drops the last 3 games.
They will do poorly again next year as Robilliard is not NBL coach!
Thats good for us 36ers!!!

Reply #312021 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Congrats to Moose and a good decision by the Kings. He obviously has the respect of the players.

Reply #312022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he should coach Adelaide? This guy has no fkn idea. The Kings will be gone again in a couple of seasons. There's no base holding this thing up.

Reply #312025 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Give him credit..He doesn't have, IMO, the understanding of the X's and O's to the level of other pro-coaches. But he has done a maginificant job in installing belief and hustle into the Kings playing group.

And honestly, 36er fans aren't really in a position to comment...Clarke has been outcoached in most scenarios throughout the season.
A few weeks ago, Moose outcoached him by playing a zone which Clarke had no real answer for.

Reply #312031 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Anonymous is on the money. Paul you got no idea.
The players have to continue to play hard, as their is only one signed!
Turner has set it up that way to protect his boy.
From what we heard last weekend the players think he is a joke as a coach as well, but playing for a job know he is protected by Turner.
Robilliard is all smoke and mirrors and has to talk hustle and pride in the jersey because he cant read the game and doesnt know what to say.Suck Job!!
They say his trainings are a joke as well.
Turner is taking advantage of a inexperienced ownership group and he wants to keep Moose because he is a yes man to him and doesnt have the knowledge or ability to challenge him.

Reply #312066 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Just watched them against NZ & they were great. Unlucky to lose! credit where credit is due - well done Moose. Great ball movement & whole game stuffed up by bad decision at end. Dickel is not my favorite player but that was not unsporstmanlike...

Reply #312081 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

do they keep gilder?

Reply #312105 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

go the moose !! another win for the good guy's
shuck's......... maybe i could get a coaches gig in the nbl one day.

moose might be on the boomers coaching staff soon the way he keeps losing !!(seems to be the pre-requisite)

Reply #312111 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Gee Peter, do you even watch the games? Do you see how well the team is executing, how well they are working as a team? That's not smoke and mirrors or hustle, the coach had to take responsibility when the team was a rabble, and has to get credit for such a dramatic turnaround.

This is not a team that is just playing for contracts, this is a team that plays for each other.

Reply #312113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, they're playing for contracts.

I'd rather have the talent Adelaide has and Adelaide's coaching staff.

I'd rather support a club with a work ethic, a vision and a set of standards rather than a team that is all style and no substance.

The celebrities and the hoopla and the bells and whistles will only last so long.

They were nicknamed the violet crumbles for a reason and it hasn't changed.

Reply #312152 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Khazzouh and Madgen are playing for a contract, but the rest may well be. Still, a few of them seem to have a decent work ethic - Knight, Dann this year, Martin, and Scoines works pretty hard.

Reply #312153 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Blame the coach if they lose, but its just the players playing for a contract if they win? I don't buy that. I agree it doesn't prove Moose is an NBL level coach, but if the team are only playing well because they are playing for a contract, then the Sixers should get on to some of that. All a person can do is hope to meet/exceed expectations.

In my view, Sydney has of late deserved the extraordinary number of games they have enjoyed on One/Sky. In general, those games have been quite entertaining to watch.

Reply #312178 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754