curtley
Years ago

Billionaire looking to fund Newcastle NBL side

Nathan Tinkler has expressed interest in re-introducing a Newcastle NBL side and sell tickets as part of packages to Newcastle Knights, Netball and Newcastle Jets games.

No News of when this would happen though, probably 2012 or 2013.

http://bit.ly/gFgiRu

Topic #25224 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

This has been an exciting development and I believe Larry S has been tempted to strike while the iron is hot..........

Lets just hope that Tinkler doesn't decide to put his money elsewhere after getting tired of hearing his accountants repeatedly informing him how much money he is losing.

Reply #312414 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

At least he's said from the word go he'll be running it as a not-for-profit venture to benefit the community.

Reply #312424 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ah yes, that is good curtley .... but its more likely to be "no profit/big losses" rather than "not for profit" and these guys tend to tire of that.

Reply #312427 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Newcastle come back and I'm a little envious. If news was broken that a millionaire business man was to buy the sixers tomorrow I too would be comfortable knowing that the team will be around the next few seasons (was a financial security question put to Dean Parker during the Q&A after Friday's game, as that worries me more than whether Bruce, Dowdell, Holmes, Hill or Ng will be playing for the sixers next year!).

The recent precarious state of the league has made me nervous and I've seen too many sporting organisations fold because their wealthy owners lose interest or their wealth. The good people of Newcastle don't need their hearts broken for a third time.

Reply #312430 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There is a big question about whether the league needs Newcastle back, but if there is a license fee on offer, probably larry will take the money and run.

Brisbane is the only priority I see on the horizon strategically. The league only needs one expansion team and then needs to grow revenue and profile for 3-4 years before considering further expansion.

Reply #312434 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Tinkler is looking to throw around a lot of money in the Newcastle area, he's born and bred from Newcastle and has interest in developing locals for Newcastle-based teams.

At the moment he's having a battle with the Newcastle Knights board, so I'm guessing he's thinking of taking his money and looking at other options in the community.

Reply #312446 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Big Ads........what wa the respone to the question? Are the current owners in for the long haul or are they all bleeding and looking at getting out?

Reply #312449 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sorry Jake, I should have put a question mark behind my reference to the Q&A session. I wasn't at the session but I do hope someone asked the question as I believe that is more important than why did Carter come out of the game after hitting 3 3-pointers.

HO, totally agree, I was thinking more longer term too but I wouldn't be surprised if Larry gets nostalgic and opportunistic.

Reply #312451 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

HO/Big Ads - what makes you think larry would want to 'take the money and run' or get 'nostalgic and oportunistic'???

what so far in the leagues recovery process, makes you think that larry would be as shallow to even think that??

Reply #312487 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dean Parker did acknowledge they are losing money but indicated that they are not about to give up. He confirmed that Marty Clarke's 3 year contract would be honoured so that atleast gives you another 2 seasons. He also said he didn't like the idea of season ticket holders being called season ticket holders and next season is making a move to making them members. As such it sounds like he is saying the club is here for the long haul. He seems passionate enough but when you are losing money its a case of deciding when enough is enough. I would hate to see the 36ers go and its heartbreaking to see what they have become in terms of a successful team on court compared to what they were 8 or 9 years ago. A successful formula needs to be found to bring back the old glory days.

Marty Clarke also spoke of the ground work he has done. The ground work does not relate to better on court performances but the culture of the club. He said he wanted to be part of a club with a great history and a club that will be around in the long run. He has worked on getting his players back out in the schools and bringing exposure to the club and enthusiasm to the sport. He has created a culture of what it means to be a 36er. A person who understands the hard work involved and the committment to excellence. He said he has trophies from his playing career in the NBL and that of the 1989 NBL Championship win over the Canberra Cannons whilst playing with the North Melbourne Giants. He looks at the Championship Trophy and it means nothing to him because the team no longer exists. He wants the 36ers to be an ongoing successful club. Not a South Melbourne Dragons, one championship and never to be seen again. This is his explanation to his ground work to create this culture.

Reply #312493 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Tinkler is a true patriot for the hunter region of NSW .First he bought the newcastle jets soccer club,couldnt negotiate with rugby though,but now wants to finance a basketball side-you go mate,wish we had a dude like that in Adelaide.

Reply #312620 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

HO, the league needs another team in Melbourne that has broad appeal.

As for Newcastle, it is an interesting one. It's a fair point that Newcastle isnt a crucial market, but if there is money and a good business model there then BA is basically knocking back 8 full time jobs and development opportunities for Australian basketballers as well as three coaching positions, front office etc.

That's a tough decision to make.

Reply #312633 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Whilst I definitely agree with HO that a Brisbane team is required, I'm also with Paul in that the league needs also needs a second Melbourne based team. the league should then consolidate on that base of teams before even contemplating another team, whether that is for 5-10 years, I'm not too sure.

My understanding is that a 2nd team from Melbourne is set to be introduced for the 2012/13 season and be based at the new stadium out in the east (Scoresby).

The Newcastle opportunity throws a tempting and attractive spanner into the mix. Should the NBL knock it back and stick with their long term plan, or take up the chance as Paul outlined and hope it all works???

Reply #312636 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Skull, Larry played for three clubs that are now defunct and he enjoyed championships with all three. Newcastle Falcons were in the league the entire time Larry was a player so I suspect he has some extremely fond memories of playing in and against the Falcons.

Larry has done an exemplary job at helping steer the NBL into calmer waters and there is no evidence that suggests he'll tack into less certain territory. His experiences as a player and having a wealthy man going to the league with $$$ to burn might be alluring to divert direction just a little while Tinkler is on the scene.

EC thanks for giving a summary of the post game comments made by the Silver Fox and Coach Clarke.

Reply #313054 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

been out of the country for a few days - sorry to those who i have ignored here.

Summary.

- the league needs money, it is poor, license fees are useful - and I am not sure about Larry's capacity to look beyond a big money backer who might also assist the league generally with his cash if he can be engaged (read eddy... read Mike ... read.. whatever)

(BTW Skull, I think larry is pretty shallow - Wayne Carroll as your head man for the National program (laughable decision), Shane Heal assisting with the Boomers 9derisive jeers), Brett Brown coaching it from 8,000 miles away (major questions??), the poor handling of the Cairns situation at the end of last season etc etc - and we should all remember he weakened Derwin's strong stance on the commission - conceding the creation of an NBL commission where the balance of power is now held by the clubs)

- Brisbane is needed. One HD is going ok there and they need to feed the market - One HD is not going well in melbourne, I reason that 10 teams is enough in the short to medium term.
- to furher support that, is the issue of talent and quality thereof. I've never believed the talent pool was so poor as I've seen it this year. Someone commented recently about a Sydney game being basically an ABA game. Certainly the imports are an issue in the league generally. And the trickle of athletes going to AFL is becoming a stream, and could become a torrent - the sport must find a way to combat this.

If Brisbane comes in, and that must be the priority, then the next priority should be stabilising the league, building the worrying TV ratings, building crowds where they are declining in key markets (Townsville, Melbourne, and to some degree Adelaide) and rebuilding them where they have become stagnant, such as NZ, Wollongong and Gold Coast.

And, they need to get the underpinning league right before they move forward with expansion. There is too much doubt now about where the seabl sits, where the state league teams will end up etc etc.

Paul, Melbourne is important but I think you are too parochial. The Tigers need to be rebuilt, corporately, culturally, competitive ... and bursting at the seams, otherwise a second successful team will simply overwhelm them in the market and you will be back to one team. It will be (skull) a true test of larry's capacity if he can achieve this.... and my betting is he will not even try.

Reply #313304 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754