Isaac
Years ago

Recent NBL and ABL news

A few things from Boti's Thursday bits and pieces:

Scott Ninnis has an interview next week for the assistant coach position in Townsville. Apparently Ninnis is one of the front-runners. Good luck to Scott.

Derek Moore too expensive for Townsville.

Paul Rees is to be cleared by Forestville and may suit for Woodville as early as this weekend against Norwood.

Kevin Brooks makes his ABL coaching debut against Norwood in that game.

A few more general points for discussion from around the NBL:

Rumour on OzHoops is that the Sixers have made an offer to Mark Nash, but that "They're not even offering him enough money to live on". Nash has suited for two games with the Bearcats in the ABL, registering 15 and 8 in one game, and then 17 points and 15 rebounds last weekend.

Lanard Copeland has apparently attracted the interest of Perth, Brisbane and West Sydney. I think it's fair to say that Brisbane are after everyone bar Ben Castle right now!

Word is that Brisbane is willing to pay what it takes to get Mark Bradtke.

Melvin Thomas has signed for a year with the Taipans. Burgess and Cattalini are already signed and Darnell Mee is a strong possibility.

Apparently West Sydney are considering Rob Feaster...

The future of the Pirates is looking hazy. An announcement by the owners of the club was supposed to be made this week, but there's nothing yet. With free agents up for grabs as of Monday, it's hard for them to expect players to wait before taking up offers from rival clubs.

Topic #2540 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no news about the sixers .... every other team is out there doing something while the sixers try and sign a coach

Reply #28501 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Will Cat actually stick around with the Taipans??

Sixers need to pull their fingers out and sign Smythy and rest of the coaching staff before we miss some oppurtunities for some key players.

Reply #28502 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Smyth will sign, but from what's been said, I think the Sixers need to pay him owed holiday money and bonuses before he'll move forward (which is fair enough -- wasn't Jan Stirling owed similar payments and had to take action to get them?)

It's sad that all-round good guy Nash is getting the low offer but after his injuries, you can't blame the club for trying.

Is there anyone from the Pirates worth looting? Hinder?

Reply #28509 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

I think the Sixers should look at Castle. Good defensive player, and can hit the three ball the majority of the time, also seems to be pretty versatile.

Reply #28510 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Cullen even has improved dramatically over the last couple of years. Line ball between him and Hinder imo.

Reply #28513 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think I'd take Cullen over Hinder.

Castle would definately be a good option to look at. Could use a good defensive player.!!

Reply #28518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just read on OzHoops:

Nash said in today's mercury that the point system could well keep him out of the NBL for this coming season due to his points rating - 7.

Will suit up with the Hobart Chargers at the end of the month after he finishes his club committments in Adelaide.

Sees SEABL as the best opportunity to 'get seen'.

I'd assumed that he was going to be playing for West for the full ABL season?

Reply #28570 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Isaac,

BAM !! .. that one came out of left field . I thought he'd be at West too.

Mr Bell you have been very quiet on this .. where are you ?

Mr Nash ... very sneaky !

Reply #28572 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Gee by the sounds of things a lot of teams are really on the improve with their player stock fast..just hope adelaide gets in the act FAST!!!!!!!!

Reply #28597 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

Is it possible for Nash to get a clearance to Hobart. The ABA season has started nation wide. What are the rules for going from one conference to another? Is it allowed?

Reply #28604 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

if they don't start signing players soon no one,s going to support them by buying tickets

Reply #28652 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Nash is going back home to Hobart to play SEABL, will play for West next two rounds (vs. Southern and Central)

My question is why are West paying him to play the first handful of games, they could have spent that money on getting a decent big guy for the WHOLE season!

Reply #28653 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Like everyone has said sixers should start signing so we actually go somewhere this season. We've got dusty as a definate and you would assume maher when he gets back so start recruiting to work around these guys.

I would LOVE to see who they would sign as coach if smyth wasnt selected/or he rejected. It aint his fault sixers didn't go far in the finals last season they only have themselves to blame.

Reply #28664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754