bballfan
Years ago

Throwing Elbows

I cannot believe that umpires are not cracking down on players that continually throw elbows in a match. Surely this is a duty of care issue. Someone will get seriously hurt if this is not addressed. Does anyone know what can be done?

Topic #25508 | Report this topic

methusla  
Years ago

should be called.

even if the elbow is raised with no contact in a threatening manner to the other player a tech can be called.

Reply #317051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden the f@&k up

Reply #317054 | Report this post

NBA agent  
Years ago

another rules question. if the offensive player has the ball in the post or the paint and ducks their head into the ribs stomach of the defensive player to create room. is this allowed

Reply #317055 | Report this post

imnoballer  
Years ago

NBA Agent
not totally 100% sure but so long as shoulder isnt involved then yes
just have to teach players to stand up strong in defense

bballfan
it was addressed in Vic last year for all of 2 maybe 3 months and then went back to same ol same ol
I dont like it but it will probably never stop

Anonymous
depending on if you are a player or a parent
have yourself or your child loose a few teeth or get a broken jaw and then lets see if you still have the same opinion

Reply #317060 | Report this post

methusla  
Years ago

if the head is used as a battering ram - it is an offensive foul - if in the course of the pivot contact is made and neither player is leaving / entering their cylinder - probably no call would suffice as long as it was not too stronger contact.

Reply #317061 | Report this post

methusla  
Years ago

it would have to be the intent of the elbow - smaller players guarding a taller player are often at elbow level - so a strong pivot may look like a clear out for a tall against a smaller player.

Reply #317062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, who wants to harden every one up..........you are a hero, brave and tough. What a man!

Reply #317070 | Report this post

Machine  
Years ago

Nah, NBA Agent - it is an offensive foul every day of the week provided the defense is legal however one must remember that the defense is permitted to stand very close to the O, provided they do not cause contact.

Reply #317074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get out the way if you dont want an elbow in the head and stop fouling the bigs. These sneaky little guards get their fair share in - not legal either

Reply #317080 | Report this post

bballfan  
Years ago

You would think that if you get the same umpire/s and put them on notice, then if the same kid keeps pulling the same stunt, the pattern is there. Otherwise say nothing and the coach of the opposition team could instruct kids to do the same. Not good for the sport or the kids if this was to keep happening. Teaches them very bad habits and only gets worse as they go up in age groups.

Reply #317083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another one I saw last night is players tunneling players and umpires using the excuse of it being in the no charge zone WTF

Learn the rules

Reply #317084 | Report this post

Triton14  
Years ago

Oh my mistake. I thought this thread was all about Jess Fergus.

Reply #317115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754