Isaac
Years ago

2011 Player Points values released

Read more

22 players successfully appealed their rankings. Seven players were unsuccessful with their appeals.

A few Wildcats with failed appeals I noticed?

Topic #25521 | Report this topic

SRT070  
Years ago

Isaac, care to elaborate on the last section for me regarding where it says 'New players or players returning to the NBL' does that mean some of those have been signed up by teams already? If thats the case have the clubs announced the signings? or am i way off?

Reply #317240 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Isn't 7 a bit high for Majok???
Didn't seem to do too much last season

Reply #317245 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

SRT - I believe that relates to people who did not play last season but who have requested a ranking so that they can be considered for a team this year. Players contracted for multi-year deals hold the rating that they had when first signed.

For those too lazy to look it up, here is the report card on the 36ers:

A Ballinger - 10 (under contract as a 10)
E Shannon - 10
C Winder - 9
T DeVries - 9
R Howard - 9
D Johnson - 8 (under contract as a 6)
D Ng - 6 (reduced on appeal from 7)
J Holmes - 6
B Hill - 6
R Carter - 6
N Herbert - 5 (reduced on appeal from 6)
A Bruce - 5
J Dowdell - 4 (reduced on appeal from 5)
M Creek - 3 (under contract as a 1)
T Daly - 1

I think Herbert and Bruce represent good value there.

Other persons of interest who have been bandied around on here as potential Sixers:

R Dorsey - 10
L Schenscher - 10
C Williams - 10
P Sanders - 9 (good value)
A Gibson - 9
D Martin - 9 (tried to appeal his ranking but got nothin')
O Forman - 8
B Madgen - 6

A skeletal Sixers squad at this stage could look like this:

PG: ??? / A Bruce (5)
SG: ??? / D Ng (6)
SF: B Hill (6)/ N Herbert (5)
PF: A Ballinger (10) / ???
C: L Schenscher (10) / D Johnson (6)
Dev: T Daly

For a total of 48 (out of 70), with two imports to come. If those imports are both a 10, that is a total of 68. That gives us slim pickings for the final rostered spot as there are not too many 2 point players giving valuable regular contributions to any team.

Seems the Sixers hands are tied again this year if they want to make wholesale changes. But I am sure the coaches will get all of the blame anyway.

Reply #317250 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

You left out Creek so add on 3 points and now you can't afford 2 imports??
If they can get a good PG import they may be better of just using Daly and NG as the backup PG instead of Bruce to save the points for a backup PF

Reply #317251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Helliwell will get no love considering he remains stuck at 8 points...we may have seen the last of him...

Reply #317255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek would only be a 1 as he is already contracted??

Reply #317256 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

correct Anon like Tom Abercrombie is rated at an 8 but was signed as a 1

Reply #317261 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Are they going after Madgen??
Very good addition if possible.

They can't really have Hill, Creek, Ng, Herbert and an Import SF/SG

Import PG and SF with Madgen, Creek, Hebert and Daly would be good.
Import [Ervin :)] / Daly
Madgen / Herbert
Import (Dorsey/Sanders) / Creek
Ballinger / Holmes or Dowdell
Luke / Johnson

Reply #317262 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

Dowdell 4
Creek 1
Daly 1
Balls 10
Schens 10
Johnson 6
Import
(3 man)10
Herbert 5
Import
(1 man)10
Martin 9

I'm happy. Or did I miss something. Maybe dollars?

Reply #317263 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

how does it work- the breakers are (by my calculations) at about 70 and that's for only 6 players that I counted- how on earth can the whole team return?

also- who is kevin johnson (on the new/returning players)- he is a 10?

Reply #317267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can the Breakers be at 70 for 6 players when the max points is 10?

Reply #317270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tell me how does Gruber and Rychart get 7 points

Reply #317271 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

The point system is what the players would be if signed by another team NOT that players current value in their team i.e if they are signed as a development player they would be a 1 and would retain that value as long as they stayed there regardless if the point system rates them a 7 now.

Are my interpretations correct?

Reply #317272 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

ok anon- slight error on my part- answer the question otherwise don't comment at all.

Reply #317273 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

KingJames - As far as I understand it, a player holds the rating given by the league for the duration of the contract.

If this understanding is correct then an example would be Mitch Creek (signed for 2 years as a 1 point player).
If he becomes a free agent, his points rating rises/falls to whatever the league system allocates, but if the team continues to extend his contract before it expires his points rating should remain the same.

Reply #317274 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

I thought it was a 50% discount for staying with your original team?
No longer valid if you leave and come back, ie Ng, Holmes

Reply #317276 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

This is the only discount I could see in the rules on the NBL website.....
4. Rookies

All Rookies, have a PPR of 1 point for the purposes of their first NBL player's contract.

The following rookies will be assigned a PPR of 3 points for the purposes of their first NBL players’ contract:

a) A player on scholarship with the Australian Institute of Sport for two years (seasons)*.

b) An Australian commencing with any NBL Club after a minimum of two years (seasons)* in the US College system.

*If the player returns for a second season this will be deemed to constitute two seasons, even if the player does not complete the second season.

So next year Creek would be re-rated and 36ers would have to pay full points, I guess

Reply #317277 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Breakers' nine likely returning players rank at 74. However, Abercrombie, Pledger and Webster all signed their current contracts when they were effectively rookies and are still on the same points ratings they were at that point (which I think might be Abercrombie 1, Webster and Pledger 3), which means the Breakers are on something like 62 points with one place to fill.

However, I hear that Lindsay Tait, BJ Anthony and Leon Henry are the favourites for that spot although a little may depend on Abercrombie's movements.

Reply #317279 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Helliwell is still contracted and therefore may be permitted to appeal his rating if released from the contract.

Reply #317280 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Found this from 7 years ago but not sure if it is still valid,

Loyalty Points
1. Any player with an External Rating of 6 or above who has represented the same NBL Club for a minimum of five consecutive seasons shall have his External Rating reduced by 1 point provided he continues to represent that NBL Club.
2. Any player with an External Rating of 6 or above who has represented one NBL Club for a minimum of ten consecutive seasons shall have his External Rating reduced by 3 points.
3. Any player who has represented the same NBL Club for a minimum of ten consecutive seasons can also transfer his Internal Rating to any other Club.
4. A player, other than restricted (import) players, commencing his career with a club shall never have an Internal Rating greater than 5 while he stays with that club. If the player chooses to leave that club, he will then be allocated his External Rating (unless he qualifies under point 3 above).
5. Players rated between 1 and 5 externally at the conclusion of the season may retain their 'original rating' (i.e. the rating they had when they signed their first NBL contract) provided they re-sign with their original club before a nominated cut-off date each year. The nominated cut-off date for the 2007/08 season shall be 26 March 2007

Reply #317281 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not. That was done away with when BA took over.

Reply #317282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

loyalty points long gone.

Reply #317287 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Changes for NZ then!!!
3, 10pt players, Penney, Wilk, Braswell
2, 9pt players, Vikona, CJ
1, 8 Aber
2, 7 Pledger and Boucher
total 70 for 8 players

Need to dump an import, CJ or Boucher to get points to fill a team.

I assume they had Abercrombie as a 1-3pt player last year

Reply #317290 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

I noticed Neil Mottram's name on the list, does this mean he is interested in coming back?

Reply #317294 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

who is kevin johnson?

Reply #317297 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Aussie Bballer, NZ are only on 62ish for 9 players because their young guys are still in the same contract they signed when they were 1s or 3s, so they will be able to return the same team.

Reply #317298 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I doubt Tom Abercrombie would be on the same contract he signed as a rookie player. If he is he needs to seriously consider changing his management. I sm sure his $$ are not reflective of a rookie contract

Reply #317301 | Report this post

dave-blocknorth  
Years ago

Here we are discussing points and player values and why? Its not like we will get who we ask for cos as we saw last season, by the time the coach made his decision, everyone had basically been picked up leaving us with raw talent. But I am happy to say, lets go for 8 players with 5 points then aim big.

That way, at least when we get to a 14 point lead in last term and lose, its fair to say we have talent that can play 3 quarters but struggle in the last to close out the game.

2nd unit players all have lower scores, 1st unit had higher and which unit did better and played their heart out? 2nd unit. Hence why 5 point players are better than 10's

Reply #317302 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well then Jake, you are sure of something that isnt true. Abercrombie signed a three year deal at the start of the 09-10 season when he stepped up from being a development player. He has one year to run (unless he excercises his Euro or NBA out-clause) and is still rated a 1 I believe, and his money is nowhere near what he would get on the open market, though moving up along the three years of the contract.

Reply #317306 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Little bit off topic, but in the article on Abercrombie 2 days ago, he said that "He will never play for another ANBL team other than the Breakers"

I like that committment; great to see. They gave him a lifeline when he had a rough time at College at was ready to throw the towel in.
So he is rewarding their faith in him by staying loyal to the club.

Reply #317308 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

Plus tom is a nz boy, why would he want to play for an aussie team. Now, this thing about points being related to when you sign a contract- if tom signs a new deal with nz (whenever his contract is up), does that mean he then moves to a new point value or does he always retain the original rating?

Reply #317317 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

The way i see it is that if Tom signs an extension BEFORE his actual contract expires then he stays on the same points rating, however if he decides to test the market and then come back to New Zealand even though his contract has expired his rating would have changed to the one stated above.

Reply #317318 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

so if i understand that correctly we can have our team from last season, minus eddie shannon, but + nathan herbert and 3 10 point players!

wouldnt herbert + 3 10 point players give us a chance to field a killer team??

now, all we need is to find 3 10 point players that want to come here.

Reply #317321 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

kevin johnson was signed to play last season but was injured early. or was it the year before?

i cant remember which team?? maybe one of the qld teams??

Reply #317322 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Is living in Adelaide , I hear.
Saw him training with Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #317325 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

My understanding of the points rule is that if you re-sign your players before the free agency period starts they keep their point ratings if they wait or the team waits until after that they are signed on there new rating. I think this helps teams keep players that they have help develop just like Goulding at Gold Coast I think he is only a 1 point player. Paul might know more.

Reply #317326 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

MACDUB , heard the same comments years ago, re bradtke, cat etc...

end of the day money will dictate where a player plays (look at CJ) they have a very small window of oppertunity to maximise there income in what is a very short career

Reply #317328 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's my understanding of it too Big Sexy. At the moment the league gives clubs a window to re-sign players at their current ranking.

I am not sure if that lasts beyond one contract though. For example, can Gold Coast sign Goulding again as a one point player if it does so before the deadline? Or does the rating get updated at some point regardless?

Reply #317329 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Thomo, most of the Breakers get paid to play in the NZNBL on top of what they earn with the Breakers along with the benefit of living in NZ (their home) and getting paid reasonably well to just play basketball. That is how guys like Pledger and Abercrombie deal with not getting Kirk Penney's Salary.

Reply #317332 | Report this post

thedoctorC,mm  
Years ago

Reply #317335 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

camel31, who are you talking about?? kevin johnson??

Reply #317350 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Thomo, also there is only one NZ team and as it is the Breakers are based in his hometown (north shore). He literally grew up playing at the NSEC.

Bradtke and that moved on because no matter where they went, they were still playing for an Australian team, so they were still being loyal to their 'country'.

Reply #317355 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Kevin Johnson - Saw him at sixers training onetime.
A friend of Eddie Shannon. Played HSH n living in ADL.

Reply #317367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any info on him (kevin johnson)

Reply #317378 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mayor of Sacramento?

Reply #317379 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Appeared to be playing forward in an experienced Mitch Creek kindofa way.
Don't think he's a fan of C.H. Williams.

Reply #317394 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

For those that know, how would Kevin Johnson go as an import in our league?

Reply #317424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

majok was downgraded from 9 to 7.ridiculous he was ever a 9 but apparently playing division 2 in turkey warrants it.
good for him as it will increase his chances of finding a team if need be.

Reply #317441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754