MELHOOPS
Years ago

Where is Australia's Ricky Rubio?

I was looking for some info. on Ricky Rubio, still keen to see him in the NBA asap, when I came across this blurb on his performance at the 2006 U16 National World Championships.

"In August 2006, Rubio led the junior Spanish national team to the FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship. During the tournament Rubio achieved two triple-doubles and a quadruple-double. In the 110-106 double overtime finale victory over Russia, Rubio scored 51 points, the first player to do so in FIBA tournaments since Luol Deng (in 2001), grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball eleven times—a performance unprecedented in the tournament's history. He also forced the first overtime with a three-point, buzzer-beating shot from mid-court. Rubio was subsequently named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament after leading it in points, rebounds, assists and steals."

Has there ever been a prospect this acclaimed before? And where is Australia's Ricky Rubio....oh that's right Kyrie Irving is Australia....Hahaha

Topic #25642 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Ricky didnt have a great WCs last year and was decent in Spain and the Euroleague this year but certainly not worth the hype in my opinion. Pretty happy with Patty Mills as our version.

Reply #319276 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce?

Reply #319291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krie Irving doesn't even consider himself as an Australian.

Reply #319303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky was no doubt one of the best juniors to ever play! At under 16/18/20 level he was certainly the most dominating player to ever grace a FIBA event.

That being said others have surpassed him due to there athleticism and size! Plus not heading to college in the US has hurt his chances and as with everyone the US aren't big on talking up foreign players who don’t come thru the college system!

Reply #319313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he has already been drafted yeah??

Reply #319315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

while surfing youtube came across with D-MAC's youngest Durrell McDonald, he's going into senior year and currently in Vegas looks like he's going to be a hooper too. also I think he has Australian passport also

Reply #319316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll end up liek all of D-Mac's kids, getting a bit of time playing Big V for the tigers and enjoying the night life!

Reply #319322 | Report this post

@rangaMITCH  
Years ago

Patty Mills would be our version of Rubio wouldn't he?

Reply #319323 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

We had our Ricky Rubio in 1984, his name was Andrew Gaze. If it was trendy to recruit from overseas like it is now and Gaze was scoring like he was, I'm guessing he would've gone top 15 in the 85 draft.

Also am I the only one hoping Kyrie Irving has an average year next season? A crap NBA season by an Aussie born player might be exactly what Basketball Australia needs.

Reply #319329 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Wow, you can use the internet!

Reply #319332 | Report this post

hoopster  
Years ago

i recently met durrell, this kid is talented and focused. doubt he'll be like his brothers. he actualy wants a career in bball

Reply #319335 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Bit of an insult to Gaze given what he achieved, but I get what you mean in terms of both being junior superstars.

Reply #319342 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

curtley I'm reluctent to view how a young anderew gaze would of gone in the nba. Two things that stand out as major flaws in Gazes game. One his defense is horrific even Gaze will be the first to admit that. The 2nd is he could be beat people of the dribble in australia but in NBA I have my doubts. Aganist the Dream Team in the 1996 Olympics Gaze lit the dream team up in the first half completely carved them up. Lenny Wilkins put Reggie Miller on gaze in the 2nd half and rarely left Gaze on help defense and Gaze was completly locked up in the 2nd half. I Love Gaze and he is a wonderful basketballer but his game is suited to the international game where it's about teamwork and zone defenses. In the NBA it's more of a game styled to isolations and one on one defense which I just don't think is tailored to Gazes strengths.

Reply #319561 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Espn is reporting Rubio has committed to Minnesota. This pick might make or break David Kahn. Johnny Flynn hasnt exactly set the world alight with his play. They must be reasonbly confindent that the lockout won't cancel out the season for Rubio to commit to a buyout which is worth 1.6 million, Minnosota can only contribute $500, 000. It will be intresting to see how rubio goes there is alot exspectations on this young man.

Reply #319648 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I never said he would have become a great player but if a 6 ft 7 second or third year player averaged 38 pts in the NBL he would go top 15 in the draft.

Reply #319703 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I don't know about top 15 I think scouts would of been scared off by Gaze lack of defense and lack of quickness. Remember Nathan JAwai average 17 and 9 rebounds in the NBL and was drafted in the 2nd round. There have been Europeans who average less then that and have been a top 10 draft pick. Playing time and the standard of the league is definitly weighed in the consideration. However I will definitely acknowlede that when Gaze played the game in his era where internationals players were not highly sought out by NBA scouts. If a young Gaze had been playing in todays league he certainly would of had a better chance of being drafted but because he racked up statistics it does'nt mean he will get drafted high as Anstey stated when he was with Dallas that there were better players then him in the NBL but the NBA also look at if you have the tools to play in the league.

Reply #319704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Also, a young Gaze wouldnt get anywhere near 38ppg in today's NBL. Remember he was playing in effectively an amatuer comp back there in a sport very few in Australia played.

But I agree, if someone got 38ppg as a youngster they would definitely get drafted. I also agree that physical tools would play a big part in determining how high.

I have no doubt Gaze could have been a good NBA player, at the very least as a sixth man, had he been drafted young. The physical training he would have received there would have markedly improved his defence. Playing golf and scrimmaging at the Tigers didnt!

Reply #319714 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754