Anonymous
Years ago

"Most Successfull NBL Season In a Decade"

NBL.com is claiming that last season was the most successful season in over a decade with average attendances increase by 12%, TV viewership and on-line traffic experience massive growth and four major new corporate partnerships for the league in what was a banner year.

If this is all true then its great news for the NBL. FTA TV coverage certainly would've helped there’s no doubt about that. However I’m always skeptical when I hear something like this, especially due to the Rick Burton years when he claimed everything was peachy and gong onwards and upwards when he wasn’t doing jack and the NBL was going nowhere.

Hopefully this is all true and the league really is finally, and legitimately, on the rise again.

link: http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2011/june/nbl-investement-in-fan-research-paying-dividends/

Topic #25761 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

I think it was definitely the most successful year TV wise since 2001, the last on ABC; crowds wise since 2003; and web wise ever. So it was a good one, but getting a good TV outcome for next season is a shadow over what is going on, as is the fact that most clubs still arent making money, even if most are heading in the right direction.

Things are good with a big asterisk would be my assessment.

Reply #321509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shouldnt the 5 year ONE HD inject a lot of cash into the teams?

Reply #321516 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers winning a title has been huge in promoting local players and the game over here in NZ. Overall Tv coverage was good apart from having to watch so many Kings games but such is life lol

Reply #321518 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Last year certainly took a turn in right direction.
Still a few clubs on the edge but what looks like could be a very even competition if some of lower teams can get right imports etc should keep some sort of momentum happening .
If can and somehow get 2nd Melb. team and Bullets back following year would be huge .

Reply #321529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

signing major sponsor, centrebet as well, ball sponsor, uniform sponsor, other sponsors and a 5 yr free to air TV deal all in one off season was definately huge for the nbl. heres hope it keeps growing

Reply #321556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The five year deal with Ten is only for $600K a season.

Reply #321595 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok, lets bring back the context.

a) naming rights - great
b) centrebet - great
c) ball sponsor - replaced another one, and have now fragmented the scene badly with all state bodies signing with molten (poor, poor deal)
d) uniform sponsor - centralized what the clubs otherwise had individually
e) TV on FTA. Was excellent news for the league, but remains to be seen whether the work to sign them and the collateral damage in pissing off Fox will come back and hurt very very badly. TV as i said here previously, started brilliantly, but tailed very badly. Of course it was up on fox but that just means the tailing is even more serious because by the end of the season some games were getting less viewers than Fox used to - and that means cardiac arrest time for TV and NBL....
f) Crowds were up on average, mainly because of Kings and Cairns, but are in serious decline in Townsville, poor for melbourne, are not growing in Wollongong or Adelaide and are in financially damaging condition in Gold Coast. If the Kings have another crap season, and cairns fall away, average crowd gains will struggle to be maintained
g) web, no idea, what are we comparing it to - are there any previously published figures?

once again I encourage you all to read beyond and think beyond the press release..... its their hype, their effort to pump up the tyres and they will only provide the "facts" that suit the NBL's thesis ....

Reply #321621 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

I question where the growth will come from. Sports biggest money comes from
Media and naming rights which they have sold. None of that money makes it back to the clubs which is a concern. What assets are left to sell for worthwhile dollars? there would not have been one club that made a profit last season.

Look at how flushed the afl is for cash yet only a few clubs make money.

Pro sports is a definite money pit.

Reply #321623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol, you would know, KB3, just how big a money pit it is!

Reply #321625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two teams made a profit last season. Most lost, but most not in proportions of a few years ago. Crowds up for 6 of the 8 teams. Kings up massively on their last season. League sponsorship a big increase, club sponsorship not so. Where's the TV deal at? That's the crucial thing to keep the rest of the progress moving forward. If that is done well NBL is in good shape. League needs to do the work to increase the audience though. Moving forward well but not out of the woods by a long shot.

Reply #321646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO, of course they spin it positively - they need the sponsors to hear good news to help get them back on board - and the casual fans need to hear it as well.

How many sponsors do you think they could sign if they came out with "NBL confirm mediocre season - crowds up but only due to massive freebies, sponsorships across the league signed but none of them really bring any money in."

The sport needs as much positive media out there as possible - that's what writing a good press release is all about, putting positive spin on everything, and glossing over the things you don't want to hi-light.

Reply #321665 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

pro sports in general seems to be hurting,players getting paid too much to play sport,door prices lowering to attract people = team eventually going broke.

i spose at least nbl wages are a little 'more' real- entry takings/memberships vs cost of the event.the footy codes in oz must take a hammering financially when small crowds turn out in big arenas.
afl/nrl have the ability to save clubs financially rather then damaging the brand with them going broke.

a big problem last nbl finals series for ba&nbl teams was they couldnt capitalise fully on the number of people wanting to see the finals series,with most of these games selling out in record time.
i know for sure the final in cairns could have had 8-9,000 people, same as the nz grandfinal,maybe more.
should it be compulsory that clubs in major cities be able to switch larger venues within that city for their finals series ??

Reply #321672 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, I understand all about why they spin, I just wish people here, who question everything in the sport, would not just naievely swallow what they dish out. "Crowds are up ... yay yay" - well actually there not, really....

Skull, interesting point you make about players and monies. Certainly one of the challenges the NBL has is salaries.

There are 700+ players in the AFL, average salary of 226k. There are around 100 in the NBL, average around 100k.

That means a bunch of guys on the bench are earning 40-70k, which just does not campare to the security of getting a job as a teacher or as a tradie when those guys often have little chance of getting other basketball jobs overseas and they have short term contracts etc etc.

Reply #321688 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

Ho, I can assure you there is more security of employment as a basketball player than there is as a non permanent teacher!!

Reply #321723 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

HO-maybe that means the bench players, per minute played in a 40 min game, are now over paid !!!

seriously though,our (semi)professional NBL....with low door prices....average/low player wages
......with average/good attendances....and a bit of fta viewing......may well be the most sustainable product in(semi)pro sports today.

Reply #321757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a lot more substance and spin in the numbers put out, but they havent mentioned any of the caveats behind the numbers. I think that is what HO is getting at.

Still, good progress from 3 years ago on almost every front. Of course, there needed to be or we wouldnt have a league.

Reply #321782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754