SRT070
Years ago

Is this Gary Ervin thing getting old?

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone else is over waiting for Ervin to make up his mind? he was meant to make a decision weeks ago, then last week they said a decision would be made this week, but seeing as we are at Friday im guessing a decision will be made next week? i know we still have a tonne of time before the season but this is really starting to get old.

Topic #25800 | Report this topic

V  
Years ago

You would think the guy doesnt want in and if he does its because we are last option.
Move on sixers - get some guy who wants to show some interest in joining us -
with a positive yes count me in attitude.

Reply #322240 | Report this post

K.E.T  
Years ago

Get patty mills!

Reply #322248 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd say his decision was all hindering on the NBA lockout and therefore his options in Europe. I would say he is more likely to sign with the Sixers now that the lockout is in place and his chances of a Euro gig are less with the fringe NBA players likely to get the sort of contracts he was after?

Reply #322249 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Tornado is correct. Now that the lockout is in effect the import picture should clear up for us. At least if we get Ervin it will be an exciting season.

Reply #322251 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I was clean shaven when we started talking about Ervin, now I play guitar in a ZZ Top tribute band

Reply #322256 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Worth waiting for but dragged on and hope not playing us . Hopefully hear by end of next week.
Gordie went on record a week ago that they were still hopeful of keeping him and was aware of Sixers offer plus unknown of Europe

Reply #322257 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

ervin is not going to happen,sixers need to look at other options now or left with crap like last year

Reply #322259 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

It does seem that we are putting our eggs in one basket for a guy that is not interested in playing here. if the market is so uncertain i dont see why he wouldnt sign up for one more stellar season then move onto europe, however this is sort of showing that he isnt keen on a return to the NBL perhaps??

Reply #322262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

For mine, it just shows that he is weighing up his options. With over three months until the season starts, there is plenty of time to sign imports and plenty of imports out there to sign. Cairns got Dorsey in September or October as one example.

Reply #322263 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Fair point Paul but re Dorsey Melb. got him this year in April - May and Hawks grabbed Ervin as early import last year.
Guess a lot of us are nervous as our import selection etc has been shocking last few years .
Know Ervin proved himself which would be fab to get but how serious is he .

Reply #322274 | Report this post

E=MC2  
Years ago

Whilst he is the guy the 6ers have publicly stated as wanting, how do you know they haven't moved on, and aren't in negotitations with someone else? Just because it hasn't been announced publicly doesn't mean things aren't happening - i'm sure Marty and co aren't sitting around twiddling their thumbs!

Reply #322275 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

ofcourse they arent sitting aroudn twiddling there thumbs but while they are in negotiations with someone else they still will not be able to offer anything concrete to that someone else, and if it drags out too long that someone else may have moved on because they are over waiting for the sixers who are waiting for Ervin. so your half right but other potential players wont sit around twiddling there thumbs, if sixers offer them a contract someone else will to and if we take too long then they will just sign the other contract. which means if Ervin ends up declining we will be down to our 4th or 5th back up plan.

also i dont think there is an issue with how willing he will be to play. if he gets nothing better and signs here i think he will be more determined to do well. because if he wants that big euro contract he would need to produce another stellar season then euro teams would take him much more seriously. So im just trying to say it is not in his best interest to sign for us and not be motivated, if anything i think he will be more motivated than ever, then that way the following season after that he should definitely be in europe by then.

Reply #322277 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

having a contract offer out to ervin doesnt stop them talking, or indeed sending a contract offer out to someone else.

only means something once its signed on the books.

Reply #322294 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

He's been to 10 NBA workouts, including one a few years ago with the Philadelphia 76ers he felt was his best. An All-American out of Robeson, Ervin would like to play in Europe next season. Australia, he said, made that a possibility.
Ervin, who had previously played in the NBADL and Premier Basketball League in Canada, said he enjoyed his experience down under, though he mostly kept to himself.
"Getting MVP speaks for itself; that was one of the things I strived for," he said. “It was a great stepping stone to get my career off to where I wanted it to be.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/high_school/more_sports/aussie_mvp_ervin_sees_pro_career_ZJsGvYl9MSD1sZoPVAPZ4H#ixzz1QqNiYJmT

Reply #322311 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the info pwned. Judging by that statement, Ervin clearly sees Australia as a stepping stone, not a destination at this stage in his career. Probably still has dreams of the NBA and fair enough at his age.

Hopefully Tornado is right and with the NBA lockout domino falling, we will start to see a cascade effect that will force Ervin to make a decision in a couple of weeks.

Jack Toft, you mean like this?

http://bit.ly/jQDIn4

Reply #322324 | Report this post

kcgone  
Years ago

Ervin wont play as well in a 36ers team as he did for the Hawks, move on to a new player especially if NBA is locked out

Reply #322412 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Beantown, Dude, that's just like me now, but I am a little more grey

Reply #322421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone you want in a top-dollar position sees Australia as a stepping stone.

Reply #322490 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Thats true Isaac but even the article on NBl site indicates how low in priorities coming back to NBL is for Ervin and we all know how important it is to get him.
But how long do we wait and when do we put a time on when we need a answer . Only they know in timing team wise and with viable options .
Key points I guess are if we are really in with good chance along with it seems that choice of last 2 positions after PG are waiting on Ervins decision.
Lets hope we get this selection process right .

Reply #322493 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

So much of 'getting the process right' comes down to having the biggest chequebook. If he signs, everyone will be praising SOS, if he doesn't they'll be getting sh!tcanned.

I think we just have to be patient and hope that SOS are doing the right things behind the scenes. Even if you do everything right, you can still miss out.

You'd think they have a couple of backup options they are exploring while they wait to see if Ervin will sign as well. Hopefully Patty Mills is one of those. Surely Homicide is another.

Reply #322497 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

As reported in Tiser today my concerns that Ervin was not serious about return to NBL seem founded as Clarke admitted cant contact Ervin currently .
Then talked about possibility in getting Mills which would be massive as has family in SA etc etc.
But is that a long shot and are we happy to lose halfway through season . If can pull be huge but are club going to be put in limbo again to be let down .
Admire aiming for best so that never easy .
Personally dont think Homicide a good fit for our club as alternative but options in past havent worked out

Reply #322523 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

If Pat decides he wants to play in Australia and Adelaide, it would be a great thing for basketball," Clarke said.

"The danger is you bring a guy in and lose him in December or when the lock-out is over.

"There will be a wholesale reshuffle of (import) spots then."

Yeah, that'd be bad Marty.....something we wouldn't want to go through.

Reply #322527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:30 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754